Bradley Burston (Hebrew: בראדלי בורסטון) is an American-born Israeli journalist. Burston is an English-language columnist for Haaretz and senior editor of the English-language website Haaretz.com. He writes a blog in English called "A Special Place in Hell".
What Does 'Death to Israel' Mean to You? (2011) edit
- My daughter is an unarmed noncombatant. That should matter. It should matter, in particular, to progressives who believe, and justly so, that the inalienable rights of human beings, children in particular, take clear precedence over the strategic designs of nation-states and the appetites of nationalism.
- "Death to Israel" means death to Israelis. It means death to the members of my family. Like many in Israel, a family which has long worked hard and consistently and intensively for the rights of Palestinians, Muslims and Christians alike, to live in safety and sovereignty in a country of their own. What we want for ourselves is no less just. It is, in fact, the very same: freedom to live in safety and sovereignty.
- About the phrase "Death to Israel", a variant of the phrase "Death to America".
- If progressives cannot see Israelis as people, if they - we - cannot summon up the same compassion and concern for unarmed combatants on both sides of a battle front, it's time they checked their ideology for holes.
- It is a country (Israel) in which a clear majority of the population, battered by wars and terrorism and heartbreak and frustration, still wants to see negotiations leading to a Palestinian state alongside Israel, and an end to occupation.
It's Time to Admit It. Israeli Policy Is What It Is: Apartheid (2015) edit
- It's Time to Admit It. Israeli Policy Is What It Is: Apartheid , Haaretz (August 17, 2015)
- I used to be one of those people who took issue with the label of apartheid as applied to Israel. I was one of those people who could be counted on to argue that, while the country's settlement and occupation policies were anti-democratic and brutal and slow-dose suicidal, the word apartheid did not apply. I'm not one of those people any more.
- There was a time when I drew a distinction between Benjamin Netanyahu's policies and this country I have loved so long. No more. Every single day we wake to yet another outrage.
- I used to be a person who wanted to believe that there were moral and democratic limits – or, failing that, pragmatic constraints - to how low the prime minister was willing to go, how far he was willing to bend to the proud proponents of apartheid, in order to bolster his power. Not any more. Not after Danny Danon.
- What does apartheid mean, in Israeli terms? Apartheid means fundamentalist clergy spearheading the deepening of segregation, inequality, supremacism, and subjugation.
- Only under a system as warped as apartheid, does a government need to label and treat non-violence as terrorism.
Trump's Win, the Greatest Victory for anti-Semitism in America Since 1941 (2016) edit
- The renaissance of Jew-hate in America has effectively split the Jewish community between an overwhelmingly liberal majority and the pro-Trump minority. There are now just two kinds of Jews in America. And one of them voted for Trump.
- Before it became a winning slogan for Donald Trump, "America First" was a code. On the eve of the worst war the world has ever known, it was Nazi-sympathizer Charles Lindbergh's code for an America which put White Christian Americans of European ancestry before all else. And which pictured Jews – as Trump did just last week by implication – as enemies of America.
- Trump's kid-gloves coddling of anti-Semites and their vicious works have served him in good stead. Now the haters will be only too happy to return the favor by stepping up their attacks.
- And we, all of us, the Jews, helped them get there.