Death to America
Death to America (Persian: مرگ بر آمریکا Marg bar Amrika) is an anti-American political slogan and chant which has been in use in Iran since the inception of the Islamic Revolution in 1978. Ayatollah Khomeini, the first leader of the Islamic Republic of Iran, popularized the term. In most official Iranian translations, the phrase is translated into English as the less offensive "Down with America." The chant "Death to America" has come to be employed by Islamist terrorists worldwide. Great Satan is another closely linked propaganda phrase.
Supreme Leader of Iran Ayatollah Ali KhameneiEdit
- Today, you are hated throughout the world. If you don't know this, you should. The peoples burn your flag. The Islamic peoples all over the world chant: "Death to America!"
- Today, America poses a threat to peace and security in the world. Therefore, the slogan "Death to America" is no longer used only by our people. Today, you see throughout the world people setting fire to the effigy of the American president and chanting the slogan "Death to America." This is because of the American regime's exaggerated demands, its arrogance, its vanity, and its desire to control, and because it is a pawn in the hands of the Zionists.
- Our people say "Death to America," and this is like saying "I seek God's refuge from the accursed Satan," which is recited before any chapter of the Koran, even before "In the name of Allah the Compassionate, the Merciful." Why is this? So the believer will never forget, even for a moment, the presence of Satan. So he will never forget, even for a moment, that Satan is ready to attack him and to destroy his spiritual shield and is faith... The saying "Death to America" is for this purpose.
- It goes without saying that the slogan does not mean death to the American nation; this slogan means death to the US’s policies, death to arrogance.
- Iran's Ayatollah Ali Khamenei Explains 'Death to America' Slogan (November 3, 2015)
Hezbollah Secretary General Hassan NasrallahEdit
- "In the past, when the Marines were in Beirut, we screamed, 'Death to America!' Today, when the region is being filled with hundreds of thousands of American soldiers, 'Death to America!' was, is and will stay our slogan."