1999 film directed by Frank Oz
Bowfinger is a 1999 cult film directed by Frank Oz. Bowfinger depicts a down-and-out filmmaker in Hollywood attempting to make a film on a small budget with a star who does not know that he is in the film. It was written by Steve Martin, and stars Martin, Eddie Murphy, and Heather Graham.
- [looking at FedEx truck coming into his street] See that FedEx truck? Every day, it delivers important papers to people all around the world. And one day, it is going to stop here, and a man is going to walk up and casually toss a couple of FedExes on my desk. And at that moment, we- and by we, I mean me - will be important.
- [lamenting to his agent about being passed over for choice roles and the agent could hardly get a word edgewise] White boys get all the Oscars. It's a fact. Did I ever get a nomination? No and you know why? 'Cause I ain't played none of them slave roles, or get my ass whipped. That's when you get the nominations. Black dude play a slave role, gets his ass whipped, gets the nomination, white boy play an idiot, they get the Oscar. Find me a script as a retarded slave, then I'll get the Oscar.
- [Bowfinger starts assembling his talents with two prepared for a test scene]
- Daisy: [reads script] "I could never be with you, Todd. I'm loyal to Keith. I'm loyal to him. I could never, never kiss you." [looks at Todd and they torridly kiss]
- Bowfinger: Okay, that was very good. Let's try it one more time, Slater, this time without the erection.
- [at a clothing store in LA, the crew discreetly shoots a scene but Carol wants to get close to Kit despite a rule for all talent to not interact with him off-production]
- Store Manager: The store would be happy to offer you these clothes without charge if you'd come back Friday, let us take a picture for LA Style of you wearing the clothes.
- Kit Ramsey: I can do that. It'll cost you $1,000. I'll be here Friday, 4:00.
- Store Manager: I'm sure that could be arranged.
- Ramsey: Hundred-dollar bills.
- Store Manager: Right.
- Carol: [faces Kit] I know I shouldn't do this, I just want you to know that you were so real in your response to the aliens. I wasn't even sure I could be a pod person, but now I'm enjoying it because you made the aliens come alive. It was like they were living inside of me. At first I was nervous about us having sex but now I think it's fine as long as we do it in a professional manner. There'll be a lot of people watching. I won't bother you anymore. [lightly touches Kit's cheek with her hand. Kit gets unsettled]
- [when Kit disappears, the team hold auditions for potential lookalikes and one actor seems promising]
- Actor: Then I studied at the Moscow Arts Theater for two years and did a year at the National in London. I'm currently doing a midnight production of Waiting for Godot here in L.A.
- Bowfinger: And are you in the union?
- Actor: Yes, I am. [gets kicked out]
- [Bowfinger confronts Daisy over hooking up with another actor]
- Robert: We're finished! It's over between us!
- Daisy: But why?
- Robert: You slept with Jiff.
- Daisy: So?
- Robert: Never thought of it that way.
- Daisy: I'll see you tonight at eight?
- Robert: Okay.
- [Having discovered the truth about the Chubby Rain shoot, Terry Stricter and the authorities finally corner Bowfinger's crew]
- Terry Stricter: [parts bushes and sees the film crew] Well, it seems the paranoid are sometimes actually being followed.
- Robert: This film is only for Madagascar and Iran. Neither of which follow American copyright law.
- [Bowfinger visits the MindHead offices and shows them some footage of Kit Ramsey, especially one scene at Staples Center after a game]
- Kit: [with head covered by a paper bag] Hey, Laker Girls. [partly opens coat to show his naked body; Laker Girls laugh] It's not funny! [scampers off]
- Terry Stricter: You realize all courts in the country would consider this blackmail!
- Bobby Bowfinger: I don't know anything about blackmail. I'm just a guy with a great film. I need a shot of Kit saying, "Gotcha, suckers" and a couple of close-ups. Or we'll use a shot of Kit wagging his thing at the Laker Girls. Which is a great ending, though not such a good ending for Kit. It could sort of stop his money flow and possibly make that family film he's about to do, just go, pfft.
- Stricter: We'll have to think about it. We'll have to think about it, for Kit.
- Bowfinger: Now that you've had time to think about it, what do you and the other fellows here at MindF'ng Head think?
- The Con is On.
- Steve Martin as Robert "Bobby" Bowfinger
- Eddie Murphy as Kit Ramsey / Jefferson "Jiff" Ramsey
- Heather Graham as Daisy
- Christine Baranski as Carol
- Terence Stamp as Terry Stricter
- Robert Downey, Jr. as Jerry Renfro
- Jamie Kennedy as Dave
- Adam Alexi Malle as Afrim
- Kohl Sudduth as Slater
- Barry Newman as Hal
- Alejandro Patino as Sanchez
- Alfred De Contreas as Martinez
- Ramiro Fabian as Hector
- John Cho as Nightclub cleaner
- Phill Lewis as Audition actor
- Marisol Nichols as Young audition actress
- Official site of the film
- Bowfinger at Allmovie
- Bowfinger quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Bowfinger at Metacritic
- Bowfinger at Rotten Tomatoes