Blood is a specialized bodily fluid that delivers necessary substances to the body's cells (in animals) – such as nutrients and oxygen – and transports waste products away from those same cells.
- Don't you know how much this place stinks? Don't you know what it's like to stand every day in blood, in the blood of children? I hate this place...
- Bloodless surgery has come to represent good practice, and in the future, it may well be the accepted standard of care.
- Adelola O.A., Ahmed I., Fenton J.E., American Journal of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Medicine and Surgery (2008) 29:275.
- A conscientious man would be cautious how he dealt in blood.
- Letter to the Sheriffs of Bristol (April 3, 1777); as published in The Works of the Right Hon. Edmund Burke (1899), vol. 2, p. 206.
- Patients who receive blood transfusions are sure to face more complications and problems, as the scientific literature and the statistics indicate. A higher number of blood transfusions correlates with more complications and deaths. So, the association between transfusion and mortality is a reality.
- Dr. Tommaso Campagnaro, The Refusal of Blood Transfusion by Adult Patients: What Are the Treatment Options?—Blood Save 2017, (2017) November 24, conference held at the University of Padua, Italy.
- One tall joker so besmirched, his head more out of a long squalid bag of a nightcap than in it, scrawled upon a wall with his finger dipped in muddy wine-lees — BLOOD. The time was to come, when that wine too would be spilled on the street-stones, and when the stain of it would be red upon many there.
- The pain was maddening. You should pray to God when you're dying, if you can pray when you're in agony. In my dream I didn't pray to God, I thought of Roger and how dearly I loved him. The pain of those wicked flames was not half so bad as the pain I felt when I knew he was dead. I felt suddenly glad to be dying. I didn't know when you were burnt to death you'd bleed. I thought the blood would all dry up in the terrible heat. But I was bleeding heavily. The blood was dripping and hissing in the flames. I wished I had enough blood to put the flames out. The worst part was my eyes. I hate the thought of gong blind. It's bad enough when I'm awake but in dreams you can't shake the thoughts away. They remain. In this dream I was going blind. I tried to close my eyelids but I couldn't. They must have been burnt off, and now those flames were going to pluck my eyes out with their evil fingers, I didn't want to go blind. The flames weren't so cruel after all. They began to feel cold. Icy cold. It occurred to me that I wasn't burning to death but freezing to death.
- Arthur Guirdham in The Cathars and Reincarnation, p. 89.
- Noah, seeing a he-goat eat sour grapes and become intoxicated so that it began to frisk, took the root of that vine-branch and, after having washed it with the blood of a lion, a hog, a sheep, and an ape, planted it and it bore sweet grapes.
- Shalshelet ha-Kabbalah, p. 75a, Amsterdam, 1697
- The first records of our young world were those of tears and blood; its last records will be those of tears and blood also.
- For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”
- And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it. For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."
- New Testament, Matthew 26: 27-28.
- I have often noticed that
ancestors never boast
the descendants who boast
of ancestors I would
rather start a family than
one blood will tell but often
it tells too much
- Dance mehitabel dance
caper and shake a leg
what little blood is left
will fizz like wine in a keg.
- Judas: I don't need your blood money!
- Annas: But you might as well take it. We think that you should.
- Caliphas: Think of the things you could do with that money, Choose any charity - give to the poor. We've noted your motives. We've noted your feelings. This isn't blood money - it's a ...
- Annas: A fee.
- Caliphas: A fee nothing more.
- When there's blood in the streets it's time to buy.
- The dangers of blood transfusion make it desirable to consider alternative measures whenever possible.
- Royal College of Surgeons of England, Code of Practice for the Surgical Management of Jehovah’s Witnesses, (2002) §2.
- Blud's thicker than water.
- Walter Scott, Guy Mannering (1815), Chapter XXXVIII.
- Nathan Explosion: Bounty hunters closer to you
Start to remember back
When you studied biology
Back in your high school class.
Wait now, what did they say
about the human body and proportions of things?
Blood is an energy conductor.
I am full of that all I need is an outlet.
- Nathan Explosion: I track my history
Bloody burned family tree
Native blood runs in me
Keep blood lust away
Keep violence at bay
Can't deny genetics
- So ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: for blood it defileth the land: and the land cannot be cleansed of the blood that is shed therein, but by the blood of him that shed it. Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit, wherein I dwell: for I the LORD dwell among the children of Israel.
- Just be firmly resolved not to eat the blood, because the blood is the life, and you must not eat the life with the flesh.
- This is what the LORD says: By this you will know that I am the LORD: With the staff that is in my hands I will strike the water of the Nile, and it will be changed into blood. The fish in the Nile will die, and the river will stink and the Egyptians will not be able to drink its water.
- Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
- Cursed be he that doeth the work of the Lord deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
- What you have drunk, what you have drunk -- it was not beer that you drank, it was your blood that you drank!
- QI comes into existence in ZHONG JIAO and concentrates in the region of lungs. QI moves on the surface of the entire body and inside of it, day and night without stopping for an instant. QI is also motive power of blood circulation. XUE, blood, is the quintessence of water and cereals diluted in the spleen and the stomach. Blood concentrates in the heart and from there is supplied to the kidneys and the lung from a signal sent by the liver. Blood circulates throughout the whole body, it includes red and white components. The eyes, having received blood, can see. The ears, having received blood, can hear. The hands, having received blood, can take. The feet, having received blood, can walk. It means one should accumulate QI and feed the body with blood XUE.
- Jin Jing Zhong, Andrew Timofeevich, Authentic Shaolin Heritage: Training Methods of 72 Arts of Shaolin, "Effect of 72 Shaolin Arts on Breath WI and Blood XUE" pp. 45-46.
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922) edit
Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 73.
- Le sang qui vient de se repandre, est-il donc si pur?
- Was the blood which has been shed then so pure?
- Antoine Barnave, on hearing a criticism of the murder of Foulon and Bartier (1790).
- Hands across the sea
Feet on English ground,
The old blood is bold blood, the wide world round.
- Byron Webber, Hands across the Sea.
- Blood is thicker than water.
- Attributed to Commodore Tattnall. See Eleventh Ed. of Encyclopedia Britannica in notice of Tattnall. Vincent S. Lean stated in Notes and Queries. Seventh S. XIII. 114, he had found the proverb in the British Museum copy of the 1797 Ed. of Allan Ramsay's. Collection, (First Ed,. 1737).