- This article is about the film. For the country, see Australia.
Australia is a 2008 epic film about an English aristocrat who inherits a sprawling ranch in Northern Australia and reluctantly pacts with a stock-man in order to protect her new property from a takeover plot. As the pair drive 2,000 head of cattle over unforgiving landscape, they experience the bombing of Darwin by Japanese forces firsthand.
Lady Sarah AshleyEdit
- Just because it is, doesn't mean it should be.
- Most people like to own things. You know, land, luggage, other people. Makes them feel secure. But all that can be taken away. And in the end, the only thing you really own is your story. Just tryin' to live a good one.
- There's only one thing cattle fear more than a man on a horse, and that's a man standing on his own two feet, staring him right between the eyes.
- Title Card: After the bombing of Pearl Harbor on the 7th of December 1944, the Imperial Japanese Navy steamed south, unleashing their fire on Darwin, a city in the northern territory of Australia. 'The territory' was a land of crocodiles, cattle barons, and warrior chiefs where adventure and romance was a way of life. It was also a place where aboriginal children of mixed race were taken by force from their families and trained for service in white society. These children became know as the stolen generations.
- Nullah: When Mrs. Boss first come to this land, she look but she not see. Now, she got her eye open for the first time.
- Magarri: If you've got no love in your heart, you've got nothing... No dreaming, not story, nothing.
- Nullah: My grandfather, King George, he take'em me walkabout, teach me black fella way. Grandfather teach'em me most important lesson of all. Tell'em story. That day I down the billabong. King George, he teach me how to catch'em fish using magic song. See, I not black fella. I not white fella either. Them white fellas call me mixed-blood, half-caste, creamy. I belong to no one.
- King George: That day I see'em them white fellas. They were pushing them cheeky bulls across the river onto Carney land.
- Nullah: [quietly] Make yourself invisible.
- King George: King George angry at them white fellas. King George say them white fella bad spirit. Must be taken from this land.
- Drover: We're not really used to...
- Lady Sarah Ashley: A woman? I suppose you think I should be back in Darwin, at the church fête or a lady's whatever you call it. Well I will have you know, I am as capable as any man.
- Drover: Guests. We're not used to guests is what I was about to say but now that you mention it I happen to quite like the women of the outback.
- Drover: What're you talkin' about?
- Lady Sarah Ashley: You... you want... You want to have it on with me.
- Drover: What? Wha- What was that?
- Lady Sarah Ashley: Oh, you know *exactly what I'm saying. Just like you have it on with that poor girl that you're exploiting, an-and God knows how many others!
- Drover: What are you talking about? You got a filthy mind, lady.
- Lady Sarah Ashley: You're an animal!
- Drover: I wouldn't have it on with you, if you were the only tart left in Australia!
- Drover: Now where the hell are all the bloody stockmen, eh?
- Lady Sarah Ashley: That's what I need to speak to you about.
- Drover: Where's Fletcher?
- Lady Sarah Ashley: We disagreed, and I dismissed him.
- Drover: [Dumbfounded] ... Dismissed?
- Lady Sarah Ashley: Yes.
- Drover: Wait, wait a minute, hold on. What about the cattle?
- Lady Sarah Ashley: Well, as he was leaving, he deliberately let the cows out of the, uh... I don't know, whatever you call it, and they ran off.
- Drover: Damn! Do you realize, woman, what you've done?
- Lady Sarah Ashley: Mr. Drover, do not take that tone with me thank you, very much!
- Drover: Don't take that tone with ya, huh?
- Lady Sarah Ashley: [Firmly] No.
- Drover: I'm askin' ya, woman, do you know what you've done? I won't get another drove this late in the season, alright? You've cost me my living!
- Lady Sarah Ashley: Can't you just round them up?
- Drover: Round 'em up, huh? Oh, round 'em up, yeah. Huh? Round 'em up!
- Lady Sarah Ashley: Yes! You just... go get them!
- Drover: Fifteen-hundred head o' cattle, scattered over a million acres with just me, and my two men. That's a great idea! Stupid cow...
- Lady Sarah Ashley: Mr. Drover, I could show you a thing or two about horses.
- Drover: Pretty sure, when it comes to horses, there's nothing you can show me.
- Nullah: You a man, Drover?
- Drover: Yeah, I try to be.
- Nullah: Sometimes man got to get away from woman.
- Drover: Maybe.
- Nullah: That's why you go droving.
- Drover: I go droving 'cause that's my job.
- Nullah: If you don't go droving, you not a man.
- Lady Sarah Ashley: Let's go home.
- Drover: There's no place like it.
- Nicole Kidman - Lady Sarah Ashley
- Hugh Jackman - Drover
- David Wenham - Neil Fletcher
- Bryan Brown - Lesley 'King' Carney
- Jack Thompson - Kipling Flynn
- David Gulpilil - King George
- Brandon Walters - Nullah
- David Ngoombujarra - Magarri (final film role)
- Ben Mendelsohn - Captain Emmett Dutton
- Essie Davis - Catherine 'Cath' Carney Fletcher
- Barry Otto - Administrator Allsop