Association football, more commonly known as football or soccer, is a competitive sport played between two teams of eleven players with a spherical ball. It is played by 250 million players in over 200 countries, making it the world's most popular sport. The game is played on a rectangular field with a goal at each end. The object of the game is to score by getting the ball into the opposing goal. The most prominent tournament in the sport is the FIFA World Cup, which is held once every four years and consists of teams from all over the world.
- Sorted alphabetically by author or source
- Football is a simple game. 22 women chase a ball for ninety minutes and at the end, the United States win.
- You will agree with me, these are unprecedented and difficult times for FIFA. The events of yesterday have cast a long shadow over football and over this week’s congress. Actions of individuals, if proven, bring shame and humiliation on football and demand action and change from us all. We cannot allow the reputation of football and FIFA to be dragged through the mud any longer. It has to stop here and now. I know many people hold me ultimately responsible for the actions and reputation of the global football community, whether it’s a decision for the hosting of the World Cup, or a corruption scandal. We, or I, cannot monitor everyone all of the time. If people want to do wrong, they will also try to hide it. But it must fall to me to bear the responsibility for the reputation and well-being of our organisation and to find a way forward to fix things. I will not allow the actions of a few to destroy the hard work and integrity of the vast majority of those who work so hard for football. I must stress that those who are corrupt in football are in a thin minority, like in society. But, like in society, they must be caught and held responsible for their actions...
- ... Football cannot be the exception to the rule. That is our responsibility as FIFA and we will co-operate with all authorities to make sure than anyone involved in wrongdoing, from top to bottom, is discovered and punished. There can be no place for corruption of any kind. The next few months will not be easy for FIFA. I’m sure more bad news may follow. But it is necessary to begin to restore trust in our organisation. Let this be the turning point. More needs to be done to make sure everyone in football to make sure everyone behaves responsibility and ethically, and everywhere also outside of the field of play, where there is no referee, no boundaries and no time limit. Football, the fans, the players, the clubs, the world, deserves so much more and we must respond. Tomorrow, the congress, we have the opportunity to begin on what will be a long and difficult road to rebuilding trust. We have lost that trust, at least a part of it, and we must now earn it back. We must earn it back through the decisions we make, through the expectations we place on each other and through the way we behave individually. The vast majority, we are all in football and we like this game, not for greed, not for exploitation, not for power, but the cause of love for the game, for this game.
- This is over. No way back for Japan, who in my view are lucky to make this final.
- They don't get the throw-in, that's it. It's game over and they're chasing Mark Geiger. That's not good. That's a, no. That's going to really, really put this game on an uglier note than we already have. You cannot charge the referee like that. Cannot. Tough, tough ending.
- You were kind of an outlier if you even liked football and you were a girl in England. So to come over here and have that opportunity? I've always said America is the land of opportunity. It certainly was for me.
- Jill Ellis, as quoted in "U.S. Coach Jill Ellis' choices put her on the path to Women's World Cup" (1 June 2015), by Kevin Baxter, The Los Angeles Times, California
- The most precious thing the writer owns is his pen and the most precious thing the footballer owns is his shoes.
- I think most of the people were just happy about it, that I took the chance to play for the U.S. They were just trying to support me however they can.
- Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for ninety minutes and at the end, the Germans win.
- Gary Lineker after losing the 1990 FIFA World Cup semifinal to Germany by a penalty shootout, as quoted in Soccer Empire: The World Cup and the Future of France, by Laurent DuBois, p. 79
- Fussball ist wie Schach, nur ohne Würfel.
- Someone said 'football is more important than life and death to you' and I said: "Listen, it's more important than that."
- Bill Shankly, quoted in Das Spiel mit dem Fussball, by Jürgen Mittag and Jörg-Uwe Nieland, p. 9.
- Encyclopedic article on Association football at Wikipedia