Anywhere But Here
1999 drama film directed by Wayne Wang
A story of a mother who knows fuck all... and a daughter who is a slut
- You know what? I'm really hungry and it's not like we're not at Denny's. So, if someone comes in and sees me eat duck à l'orange, who knows what effect it'll have on my life? The "a" before l'orange is not spoken and the whole phrase "duck l'orange" is dubbed...???
- He said not to ever do that to me again. He said that if you do he'll have you taken off to prison and locked up and you'll never ever see me again, and you'll have to eat ice-cream on your own. (speaking to her mother after she tried to blame a parking ticket on her wanting ice-cream which she did not request)
- That summer I turned seventeen... and started planning my escape.
- I'll always have a place in my heart for the Los Angeles Police Department.
- Mom, Mom! I'm sorry but you have to understand I was just doing an audition. They wanted me to...no one would even know it was you... You know every morning I wake up and I don't even want to be here. Who would wanna be with you? You're just a crazy, middle aged, unemployed woman with a, with a child to support. Why can't our lives just be normal?
- Even if you can't stand her, even if you hate her, there's some mystery about my mother.
- My daddy always used to say “Be optimistic, doncha be a grumpy, when the road gets bumpy, just smile, smile, smile be happy! Don’t wear a long face it’s never in style, be optimistic and smile!”
- Ann: You don't have a job in the Los Angeles school district.
- Adele: I have an interview, and a great outfit.
- Ann: This is like being kidnapped, you don't understand that do you?
- Adele: I wish someone had kidnapped me when I was your age
- Ann: So do I.
- Ann: I hate my hair. I'm going to cut it all off.
- Adele: Over my dead body.
- Ann: Ok.
- Cop: Your mother is trying to beat a ticket.
- Ann August: Oh give her one. She already has a drawer full of them.
- Adele: You're not having sex with anybody are you?
- Ann: What?
- Adele: You know.
- Ann: No, I don't know!
- A story of a mother who knows best... and a daughter who knows better.
- She is doing all the wrong things for all the right reasons. (speaking about her character, Adele, on the Anywhere But Here DVD)
- Susan Sarandon - Adele August
- Natalie Portman - Ann August
- Shawn Hatosy - Benny
- Hart Bochner - Josh Spritzer
- Eileen Ryan - Lillian
- Ray Baker - Ted
- John Diehl - Jimmy
- Bonnie Bedelia - Carol
- Faran Tahir - Hisham Badir
- Caroline Aaron - Gail Letterfine
- Corbin Allred - Peter
- Michael Milhoan - Cop
- John Carroll Lynch - Jack Irwin
- Steve Berra - Hal
- Eva Amurri, the daughter of Susan Sarandon