A Nightmare on Elm Street (film)
1984 film directed by Wes Craven
- Written and directed by Wes Craven.
- Nancy: Fingernails? That's amazing, you saying that. It made me remember the dream I had last night.
- Tina: What'd you dream?
- Nancy: I dreamed about this guy in a dirty red and green sweater.
- Tina: But what about the fingernails?
- Nancy: He scraped his fingernails along things. Actually, they were more like finger-knives or something, like he'd made them himself. Anyway, they made this horrible sound. [imitates screeching sound]
- Tina: Nancy. You dreamed about the same creep I did, Nancy.
- Glen: That's impossible.
- Tina: Please God...
- Freddy: [revealing his knives] This... is God.
- Nancy: [about Freddy] What'd he look like? You get a look at him?
- Rod: No.
- Nancy: Well then how can you say somebody else was there?
- Rod: Because somebody cut her. While I watched.
- Nancy: And you didn't get a look at the guy?
- Rod: I couldn't see the fucker. You could just see the cuts happening, all at once.
- Nancy: What do you mean all at once?
- Rod: I mean it was as if there were four knives [looking down at his hand] cutting at the same time. But invisible ones. I probably could've saved her if I'd moved sooner. But I thought it was just another nightmare, like the one I had the night before. There was this guy who had knives for fingers.
- Nancy: [about Freddy's hat, that she brought back from her dream] His name is even in it, written right in here: Fred Krueger. Fred Krueger! You know who that is, Mom? You better tell me, cause now he's after me!
- Marge: Nancy, trust your mother for once. You'll feel better as soon as you sleep.
- Nancy: Feel better?! You call this feeling better?! Or should I grab a bottle and veg out with you. Avoid everything happening to me by just getting good and loaded.
- [Marge slaps her]
- Marge: Fred Krueger can't be after you, Nancy. He's dead! Fred Krueger is dead. Dead and gone. Believe me, I know. Now go to bed. I order you, go to bed.
- Nancy: You knew about him all this time, and you've been acting like he was someone I made up!
- Marge: You're sick, Nancy. Imagining things. You need to sleep, (picks up bottle of gin) it's as simple as that.
- Nancy: [throws bottle of gin onto floor] Screw sleep!
- Marge: Nancy! It's only a nightmare!
- Nancy: That's enough!
- Marge: You want to know who Fred Krueger was? He was a filthy child murder who killed at least twenty kids in the neighborhood. Kids we all knew.
- Nancy: Oh mom.
- Marge: It drove us all crazy when we didn't know who was doing it, but it was even worse when they caught him.
- Nancy: Did they put him away?
- Marge Well, the lawyers got fat and the judge got famous, but someone forgot to sign a search warrant in the right place and Krueger was free, just like that.
- Nancy: What did you do, mother?
- Marge : A bunch of us parents tracked him down after they let him go. We found him in an old abandoned boiler room where he used to take his kids.
- Nancy: Go on.
- Marge : We poured gasoline all over the place, then left a trail of it out the door. Then lit the whole thing up and watched it burn. But he's dead, Nancy. He can't get you because mommy killed him. I even took his knives [unwrapping the cloth, showing the glove]. So it's okay. You can sleep now.
- Nancy: I know you're there, Krueger.
- Freddy: You think you was gonna get away from me?
- Nancy: I know you too well now, Freddy.
- Freddy: And now you die.
- Nancy: It's too late, Krueger. I know the secret now. This is just a dream, too. You're not alive. The whole thing is a dream. I want my mother and friends again.
- Freddy: You what?
- Nancy: I take back every bit of energy I ever gave you. You're nothing. You're shit.
- Sleep Kills.
- She is the only one who can stop it... if she fails, no one survives.
- If Nancy Doesn't Wake Up Screaming, She Won't Wake Up At All...
- The first word in terror from the creator of Scream
- A scream that wakes you up, might be your own...
- Whatever you do, don't fall asleep...or you'll meet the terrifying Freddy.
Encyclopedic article on A Nightmare on Elm Street on Wikipedia
- Official website
- A Nightmare on Elm Street quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- A Nightmare on Elm Street at Rotten Tomatoes