A Nightmare on Elm Street (film)
1984 film by Wes Craven, Sean S. Cunningham
- Written and directed by Wes Craven.
- Nancy: Fingernails? That's amazing, you saying that. It made me remember the dream I had last night.
- Tina: What'd you dream?
- Nancy: I dreamed about this guy in a dirty red and green sweater.
- Tina: But what about the fingernails?
- Nancy: He scraped his fingernails along things. Actually, they were more like finger-knives or something, like he'd made them himself. Anyway, they made this horrible sound. [imitates screeching sound]
- Tina: Nancy. You dreamed about the same creep I did, Nancy.
- Glen: That's impossible.
- Tina: Please God...
- Freddy: [revealing his knives] This... is God.
- Nancy: [about Freddy] What'd he look like? You get a look at him?
- Rod: No.
- Nancy: Well then how can you say somebody else was there?
- Rod: Because somebody cut her while I watched.
- Nancy: And you didn't get a look at the guy?
- Rod: I couldn't even see the fucker. You could just see the cuts happening, all at once.
- Nancy: What do you mean all at once?
- Rod: I mean it was as if there were four knives [looking down at his hand] cutting at the same time. But invisible ones. I probably could've saved her if I'd moved sooner. But I thought it was just another nightmare, like the one I had the night before. There was this guy who had knives for fingers.
- Nancy: [about Freddy's hat, that she brought back from her dream] It even has his name written in it. Fred Krueger, mom. Fred Krueger. Do you know who that is, mother? Because if you do, you better tell me because he's after me now.
- Marge: Nancy, trust your mother for once. You'll feel better as soon as you sleep.
- Nancy: Feel better?! You call this feeling better?! Or maybe I should grab that bottle and veg out with you. Avoid everything happening to me by just getting good and loaded.
- [Marge slaps her]
- Marge: Fred Krueger can't come after you, Nancy. He's dead. Believe me, I know.
- Nancy: You knew about him all this time, and you've been acting like he was someone I made up?
- Marge: You're sick, Nancy. There's something wrong with you. You're imagining things. You need to sleep, (picks up bottle of gin) it's as simple as that.
- Nancy: [throws bottle of gin onto floor] Screw sleep!
- Marge: Nancy. It's only a nightmare!
- Nancy: That's enough!
- Marge: You want to know who Fred Krueger was? He was a filthy child murderer who killed at least 20 kids in the neighborhood. Kids we all knew.
- Nancy: Oh, mom.
- Marge: It drove us crazy when we didn't know who was doing it, but it was even worse after they caught him.
- Nancy: Did they put him away?
- Marge Well, the lawyers got fat and the judge got famous, but somebody forgot to sign the search warrant in the right place and Krueger was free, just like that.
- Nancy: What did you do, mother?
- Marge : A bunch of us parents tracked him down after they let him out. We found him in an old abandoned boiler room where he used to take his kids.
- Nancy: Go on.
- Marge : We took gasoline, we poured it all over the place, and left a trail of it out the door. Then lit the whole thing up and watched it burn. But he can't get you now. He's dead, honey, because mommy killed him. I even took his knives [unwrapping the cloth, showing the glove]. So it's okay now. You can sleep.
- Nancy: I know you're there, Freddy.
- Freddy: You think you was gonna get away from me?
- Nancy: I know you too well now, Freddy.
- Freddy: Now you die.
- Nancy: It's too late, Krueger. I know the secret now. This is just a dream, too. You're not alive. The whole thing is a dream. I want my mother and friends again.
- Freddy: You what?
- Nancy: I take back every bit of energy I ever gave you. You're nothing. You're shit.
- Sleep Kills.
- The kids of Elm Street don't know it yet... but something is coming to get them. No one knows where it came from, or who it will visit next...
- If Nancy doesn't wake up screaming, she won't wake up at all...
- She is the only one who can stop it. If she fails, no one will survive.
- The first word in terror from the creator of Scream.
- A scream that wakes you up, might be your own...
- Whatever you do, don't fall asleep...or you'll meet the terrifying Freddy.
Encyclopedic article on A Nightmare on Elm Street at Wikipedia
- Official website
- A Nightmare on Elm Street quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- A Nightmare on Elm Street at Rotten Tomatoes