The afterlife is the idea that the mind of a being continues after physical death.
Last modified on 21 November 2011, at 13:57↑Jump back a section
- He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- The chief problem about death, incidentally, is the fear that there may be no afterlife – a depressing thought, particularly for those who have bothered to shave. Also, there is the fear that there is an afterlife, but no one will know where it's being held.
- Woody Allen, The Early Essays
- I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is ready for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
- Why is it that almost every human culture yet discovered has found it necessary to believe in an afterlife of some sort, but not a "before-life"? Why are there so many versions of Heaven, Paradise and The Great Beyond, but almost none about The Great Before?
- Judith Hayes 
- If this life is all there is, there is no basis for any meaning, hope, purpose, or significance to life. Everything in your life would simply be a random change of fate at best, or an accident at worst. Your life, and your death, would not matter at all. The logical end of such a life is despair. Moreover, we can forget about being decent or ethical, with no basis for human dignity, rights, or liberty.
- Rick Warren, pastor of the Saddleback Church and author of "The Purpose Driven Life," in "Lifer After Death" by Dinesh D'Souza, 2009, the foreword, pgs. x-xi.
- How do we know there is an afterlife? Because the Bible says so. How do we know that the Bible is correct? Because God wrote it. How do we know that God wrote it? Because it says so in the Bible. Yes, we have to admit this is circular reasoning, and those outside the circle are unlikely to accept it.
- Dinesh D'Souza, Life after Death, 2009.
- As you intend to live hereafter, it is in your power to live here.
- Gene Wolfe, Lake of the Long Sun (1994), Ch. 1