1961 film by Akira Kurosawa
Sword or pistol? The fateful showdown!
English Opening TextEdit
- The time is 1860... the emergence of a middle class has brought an end to power of the Tokugawa Dynasty... A samurai, once a dedicated warrior in the employ of Royalty, now finds himself with no master to serve other than his own will to survive... and no devices other than his wit and sword.
- [family he has just saved is crying with gratitude] Stop. Stop crying. It’s pathetic. [they keep crying] I hate pathetic people. I'll have to kill you.
- [Sanjuro has just killed two men and cut the arm off a third] Cooper. Two coffins... No, maybe three.
- [after the gamblers have challenged him] No help for fools. [draws sword and kills two of them]
- I'm not dying yet. I have to kill quite a few men first.
- If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked.
- Kill one or a hundred. You only hang once.
- [Sanjuro's talking with three men]
- Sanjuro: You're all tough, then?
- Gambler: What? Kill me if you can!
- Sanjuro: It'll hurt.
- Gonji: Are you afraid of ghosts?
- Inokichi: No they make me feel just great.
- Hansuke: What happened? Why so glum? Your business should be booming.
- The Cooper: No. When the fighting gets this bad, they don't bother with coffins.