Woman of the Year
1942 film by George Stevens
Woman of the Year is a 1942 romantic comedy film about rival reporters Sam and Tess who fall in love and get married, only to find their relationship strained when Sam comes to resent Tess' hectic lifestyle.
The picture of the year! (taglines)
- [on his and Tess's very short wedding ceremony] No one will ever believe we were married sober.
- Success is no fun unless you share it with someone.
- Women should be kept illiterate and clean, like canaries.
- Sam Craig: [Sam and Tess are both mildly drunk. Tess's head is resting on Sam] There's something I have to get off my chest...
- Tess Harding: [starts to get up] I'm too heavy...
- Sam Craig: [smiles] No. I love you.
- Tess Harding: You do?
- Sam Craig: Positive.
- Tess Harding: [sighs] That's nice. Even when I'm sober?
- Sam Craig: Even when you're brilliant.
- Tess Harding: [attending a baseball game] Are all these people unemployed?
- Sam Craig: No, they're all attending their grandmother's funeral.
- Tess Harding: [attending a baseball game] You mean our paper sends two people to cover the game?
- Phil Whittaker: No, I cover the game, he just kicks it around in his column.
- Tess Harding: We've got only one man at Vichy...
- Sam Craig: Vichy, are they still in the league?
- Tess Harding: I'm going to be you wife. You don't think that I can do the little ordinary things that any idiot can do, do you?
- Sam Craig: No.
- Tess Harding: Why not?
- Sam Craig: Because you're incapable of doing them, that's why. You can't expect Seabiscuit to stop in the middle of the stretch, drink a glass of water, and count to seven at the same time, you know. That takes training.
- Tess Harding: Well, I'm not Seabiscuit.
- Sam Craig: I don't want to be married to Tess Harding any more than I want you to be just Mrs. Sam Craig. Why can't you be Tess Harding Craig?
- Tess Harding: I think it's a wonderful name.
- Sam Craig: [in front of the airport] Could I drop you someplace, Miss Whitcomb?
- Ellen Whitcomb: You can drop that "Miss Whitcomb."
- Tess Harding: Sam, why can't we sit down like adults and patch this thing up?
- Sam Craig: I'm afraid that might become a habit. Then we'd wind up with a patchwork quilt for a marriage.
- The picture of the year!
- Spencer Tracy - Sam Craig
- Katharine Hepburn - Tess Harding
- Fay Bainter - Ellen Whitcomb
- Reginald Owen - Clayton
- Minor Watson - William J. Harding
- William Bendix - "Pinkie" Peters
- Dan Tobin - Gerald Howe
- Roscoe Karns - Phil Whittaker
- Ludwig Stössel - Dr. Lubbeck
- Sara Haden - Matron
- Edith Evanson - Alma