- These are just a few samples, for more quotes from this film (written by William Nicholson) see Shadowlands
- We read to know that we are not alone.
- Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn fast.
- Self-sufficiency is the enemy of salvation. If you are self-sufficient, you have no need of God. If you have no need of God, you do not seek Him. If you do not seek Him, you will not find Him.
- These are just a few samples, for more quotes from this film see Gladiator.
- I will win the crowd. I will give them something they have never seen before.
- She had gone so far now, she had broken so many rules and said such wicked things, that she knew she would suffer the most severe punishment; and since what was done could not be undone, she was free to be as bad as she wanted to be.
- "I wish there were no more exams ever," said Kestrel.
"I wish nothing bad happens to Kess," said Bowman.
"I wish my darling children to be safe and happy for ever," said their mother. She always wished like that when she was worried.
"I wish the wind singer would sing again," said their father.
- The song of the wind singer will set you free.
- "That's where we have to go," said Kestrel, looking at the mountain. "Into the fire."
- She slapped Kestrel's face. Without thinking twice, Kestrel slapped her back, as hard as she could. The young woman burst into tears. The servant saw this, aghast. "Baby!" she exclaimed. "Oh, my poor baby!"
"You've been kind to me," said Kestrel, "and you're very beautiful, but if you hit me again I'll kill you."
- "Today begins my walk with you." They spoke together, their voices sounding softly in the cold air. "Where you go, I go. Where you stay, I stay. When you sleep, I will sleep. When you rise, I will rise. I will pass my days within the sound of your voice, and my nights within the reach of your hand. And none shall come between us."
- All the fear in the world, and the violence that comes from the fear, and the hatred that comes from the violence, and the lonliness that comes from the hatred. All the unhappiness, all the cruelty, it gathers like clouds in the air, and grows dark and cold and heavy, and falls like grey snow in thick layers over the land. Then the world is muffled and numb, and no one can hear each other or feel each other. Think how sad and lonely that must be.
Motherland (2012 novel)Edit
- The English seem to think drinking wine is like committing adultery, something you do rarely and abroad.