2004 film directed by Paul McGuigan
Wicker Park is a 2004 romantic psychological thriller about a young Chicago advertising executive who believes a woman he sees in a café is his long-lost love. His belief leads to obsession, as he puts his life on hold in order to trail her. The movie is a remake of the 1996 French movie L'Appartement.
- Directed by Paul McGuigan. Written by Brandon Boyce.
Passion never dies.
- When you see something from afar, you develop a fantasy. But when you see it up close, 9 times out of 10, you wish you hadn't.
- Things don't have to be extraordinary to be beautiful. Even the ordinary can be beautiful.
- Take my picture. I'm feeling beautiful tonight.
- Jeweller: [holding a diamond ring] Magnificent, aren't they? "God's tears".
- Matthew: Yeah. It's beautiful. So are the others, I... I guess I just have to make the right decision.
- Jeweller: In the end it's not your eye that must decide.
- Matthew: You're right. This doesn't make any sense. One minute I'm here looking at rings, and the next I'm here, doing this.
- Luke: Whoa. Whoa, looking at rings? I didn't realize you were that serious.
- Matthew: Apparently, I'm not.
- Luke: See, that is how the universe works. The minute you make a decision, you decide on anything, along comes temptation.
- Matthew: What would you do?
- Luke: I'd keep both of them and hope they don't find out about each other.
- Matthew: [laughs] That's perfect. Asshole! I have to find out why she left.
- Luke: She got scared. Everyone gets scared.
- Matthew: No, not Lisa. She wouldn't have left without an explanation. Without some sort of letter or a call or something. She's not like that. I mean, something must've happened, and whatever it was...
- Luke: Screwed you up big time.
- Matthew: [pause] I know she loved me.
- Lisa: Do you normally spy on people?
- Matthew: What?
- Lisa: Are you really gonna tell me that you're a huge fan of modern dance?
- Matthew: Look, I've never done anything like that before. Honestly, could you let me take you out for a cup of coffee and explain.
- Lisa: [chuckles] I don't think so.
- Matthew: I'll stay on my side of the table. I promise.
- Lisa: Just call me when the shoes come in, okay?
- Matthew: Listen, I'm not what you think I am, okay?
- [Lisa smiles at Matthew on her way out the front door]
- Matthew: Shit.
- Lisa: [Matthew notices that she wrote a message on the shoebox instead of leaving her phone number for the shoes] Tomorrow night. 6:00. Cafe Tangiers on Kinzie. Now you won't have to follow me.
- Matthew: What do you think, Alex? I mean you know the whole story.
- Alex: It's easy to stand back and judge. You don't now anything about this woman.
- Matthew: I know that she has no conscience, and no regard for anyone but herself. I mean, what else do I need to know?
- Alex: You make yourself into such a victim. Nobody made you be with her. You can't even see what a hypocrite you're being.
- Matthew: I'm being a hypocrite? How am I being a hypocrite?
- Alex: Yes, you are!
- Luke: Whoa, whoa, whoa. You, guys. Hey, relax.
- Matthew: No, Luke. Hey, hold on. Alex, I'd like for you to explain to me on how I'm being a hypocrite.
- Alex: Who's to say, this woman hasn't been in love with you for a really long time? And now that she found you again, she wasn't about to let you go twice.
- Matthew: What?
- Alex: Maybe... The first time she saw you, maybe she felt the way you did the first time you saw Lisa. You remember that. Love makes you do crazy things. Insane things. Things in a million years you never thought you'd see yourself do. But here you are doin' it. Can't help it.
- Lisa: Come on, let me film you.
- Alex: No, you first.
- Lisa: Come on, Alex. Are you shy? You can't be shy if you wanna be an actress.
- Lisa: [holds up a book] Here.
- Alex: Shakespeare.
- Lisa: This is your big break.
- Alex: That's Shakespeare. I can't do that. That's too hard.
- Lisa: [Lisa begins to quote Shakespeare at the camera] Haply, when I shall wed. That lord whose hand must take my plight shall carry half my love with him, half my care and duty. Surely I shall never marry like my sisters to love my father all.
- [Alex begins to grows jealous of Lisa's natural acting ability]
- Lisa: So true, my lord. In life... Ah! I blew it. I'm sorry. That was bad.
- Alex: No, that was amazing.
- Lisa: You know, the thing with acting is, Alex, you just have to commit. Otherwise, you're just a phony.
- Matthew: What are you doing?
- Alex: [smiles] I'm watching you sleep.
- Matthew': I needed you to know.
- Rebecca: Know what? Know what, Matthew? That I'm not the girl who can break your heart?
- Alex: You want a cup of coffee?
- Matthew: Yeah, sure. Thanks.
- Alex: [rummages around in the kitchen] No. No. No. No. [comes back with coffee in two flutes of champagne glasses] He broke all my cups.
- Matthew: That's original.
- Luke: So she had the same name, same perfume, same shoe size. That’s so hot. Or, or maybe that’s just creepy.
- Matthew: I think it’s a little bit of both, actually.
- Matthew: I'm going to China tonight, I'm practically engaged-- do I need to remind you?
- Luke: The lies we tell ourselves.
- Matthew: You knew she was here the whole time?
- Alex: [reaches into her bag and grabs the envelop she was suppose to give to Matthew two years earlier] This belongs to you. It's from her.
- Lisa: [in the letter] Matt, please don't think that I'm running away from you. I was so overwhelmed when you asked me to move in, I couldn't speak. My answer, of course, is yes. I love you, and can't wait to come home.
- Alex: [in tears] I'm not going to apologize for what I've done. This is for me to live with now. Now you see me for who I am.
- Matthew: Yes, I do.
- Josh Hartnett - Matt Simon
- Rose Byrne - Alex Denver
- Diane Kruger - Lisa Parish
- Matthew Lillard - Luke Stanford
- Jessica Paré - Rebecca Martin
- Christopher Cousins - Daniel Ristelli
- Official site
- Wicker Park quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Wicker Park at Allmovie
- Wicker Park at Metacritic
- Wicker Park at Mojo
- Wicker Park at Rotten Tomatoes