West Side Story (2021 film)
2021 film directed by Steven Spielberg
- Directed by Steven Spielberg. Written by Tony Kushner, based on the play by Jerome Robbins, Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim, and Arthur Laurents.
Celebrate the greatest love story of all time. taglines
- In Gimbels, there are lots of dresses that fit me.
- [singing] I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty and witty and bright,
And I pity, any girl who isn't me tonight.
I feel charming, oh so charming, it's alarming how charming I feel.
And so pretty, that I hardly can believe I'm real.
- It's like I'm always just about to fall off the edge of the world's tallest building. I stopped falling the second I saw you.
- [singing] Maria... I just met a girl named Maria, and suddenly that name
Will never be the same to me.
Maria - I just kissed a girl named Maria
And suddenly I found how wonderful a sound can be
Maria - say it loud and there's music playing
Say it soft and it's almost like praying.
- Tonight is about family.
- [about Tony] He's a polack, that's what he is - a big, dumb polack!
- [to Maria] Get your shoes on. I want to dance!
- [to the band leader] Oye, Javi! Ponle fuego, ¡vamos!
- [to Tony after he and Maria are caught together] Do you want to start World War III?
- [after being assaulted by the Jets] You think I want to stay here? In this city full of ugly little animals like you? No gracias. Yo no soy Americana. Yo soy Puertorriqueña! [to Valentina] Tell Tony... you tell that murderer... Maria ain't coming. Chino, he found out about them. Tony and Maria. He shot her. Maria is dead. You tell him that.
- [singing] There's a place for us, Somewhere a place for us
Peace and quiet and open air wait for us, Somewhere.
There's a time for us, Some day a time for us
Time together with time to spare, time to look, time to care, Someday.
Somewhere we'll find a new way of living.
We'll find a way of forgiving, Somewhere.
Lieutenant Schrank edit
- What's a gang without its terrain, its turf? You're a month or two away from finding out, one step ahead of the wrecking ball. And in this uncertain world, the only thing you can count on is me.
- Tony: You don't need me helping you screw up your life.
- Riff: You know how I get. I will start running my mouth. You got command. You are West Side legendary! And, Tony. Tony, the Jets. I gave them my word you'd show.
- Valentina: Tony, I don't tell you who to hang out with, but-
- Tony: [in an exaggerated Puerto Rican accent] -Bu' dose boysss are yuvenile delinquen'! Dey'rrrrrre no goo' for jou and jou better wash ou'!
- Valentina: [in an exaggerated New York accent] Hey, you make funna da way I tawk one more time, blondie!
- Maria: The boys think I'm a kid.
- Anita: You are a kid, kiddo.
- Maria: You're tall.
- Tony: Yeah, and... you're not.
- Maria: You're not Puerto Rican.
- Tony: [amused] You're just figuring that out?
- Maria: From down here I wasn't sure.
- Tony: Is it okay? That I'm not?
- Maria: I don't know. Creo que sí, pero...como yo nunca - Since I never seen you before. This is my first time dancing in New York City, so you tell me. Is it OK?
- Tony: Not much I can do about it, but— [Maria suddenly tries to kiss Tony. Startled, he pulls back.] Sorry, you just caught me by surprise is all. I'm a by-the-book type, so...
- Maria: By the book?
- Tony: Try me again?
- [They kiss]
- Luz: [offscreen] ¡María! ¡María! ¿Qué haces? ¡Sal de ahí ahora mismo!
- Maria: [singing] Tonight, tonight, it all began tonight, I saw you and the world went away.
Tonight, tonight, there's only you tonight, what you are, what you do, what you say.
- Tony: Today, all day I had the feeling a miracle would happen, I know now I was right.
For here you are and what was just a world is a star tonight.
- [Tony begins to climb down the balcony.]
- Maria: Wait, wait! [Tony climbs back up.] I forgot why I called you.
- Tony: I'll wait 'til you remember.
- Maria: Tony is Antonio?
- Tony: Anton.
- Maria: Te adoro, Anton.
- Tony: Te adoro, Maria.
- Tony and Maria: [singing] Good night, good night,
Sleep well and when you dream.
Dream of me
- Anita: [singing] Puerto Rico, you lovely island,
Island of tropical breezes.
Always the pineapples growing,
Always the coffee blossoms blowing.
- Woman #1: And the money owing.
- Woman #2: And the babies crying.
- Woman #3: And the people trying.
- Anita: I like the island Manhattan.
- Rosalina: I know you do!
- Anita: Smoke on your pipe and put that in!
- Girls: [singing] I like to be in America,
OK by me in America,
Everything free in America!
- Bernardo: [singing] For a small fee in America.
- Anita: [singing] Buying on credit is so nice.
- Bernardo: [singing] One look at us and they charge twice.
- Bernardo: You keep away from him, as long as you're in my house.
- Maria: I'm a grown-up now, Bernardo. I'm gonna think for myself.
- Tony: [learning to speak Spanish with Valentina] I'm happy to see you again.
- Valentina: Me alegra verte de nuevo.
- [Tony takes the pencil and writes it down]
- Tony: Me... alegra... verte... de nuevo.
- Valentina: So, who are you so happy to see again?
- Tony: Last one: "You look beautiful."
- Valentina: ¿De veras?
- Tony: De...veras.
- Valentina: ¿Una puertorriqueña?
- [Tony grins, shrugs. She looks very concerned]
- Tony: I wanna do like Doc, find me a Puerto Rican gal!
- Tony: [singing] Make of our hands one hand, Make of our hearts one heart
Make of our vows one last vow, Only death will part us now.
- Maria: Make of our lives one life, Day after day one life
- Tony and Maria: Now it begins, now we start
One hand, one heart, even death won't part us now.
- Chino: And Riff, he got stabbed, and...
- Maria: Tony. Chino!
- Chino: Tony killed Bernardo.
- Maria: Chino! Liar!
- Anita: He will never be safe here.
- Maria: Sí, lo sé.
- Anita: And no one will ever forgive him.
- Maria: Will you?
- Anita: You can't ever ask me that.
- Maria: Will you forgive me?
- Anita: Te quiero, mi niña. For he will have to go away, and you will have to go with him.
- Maria: [singing to Tony after Chino shoots him] Only you, you’re the only thing I’ll see forever. In my eyes, in my words, and in everything I do. Nothing else but you ever. [Tony dies. As she lays him down on the ground gently; reaches her hand in front of Chino] Give it to me.
- [Maria takes the gun after Chino refused]
- Maria: [examining the gun] How do you fire it? Just... pull this?! [Points the gun at Chino] How many bullets are left? Enough for you? [Points at Ice] And you? [Points at Diesel and the other Jets] All of you? I can kill now because I hate now. [Points at the Sharks] I hate now. [She points at Chino again] How many can I kill, Chino? How many? And still have one bullet left for me? [Instead surrenders and goes back to Tony's body; kisses Tony] Te adoro, Anton. [the Jets go to their fallen as Ice tries to help Maria but Maria shrugs him off] No, don't touch him!
- Braulio: [comforting Maria] Maria, ya es tiempo. Vente con nosotros.
- A city divided. Their love will change everything
- Celebrate the greatest love story of all time.
- Risk everything for true love.