Labor union leader
- There's a direct relationship between the ballot box and the bread box, and what the union fights for and wins at the bargaining table can be taken away in the legislative halls.
- Proceedings of the Constitutional Convention of the United Auto Workers, Vol. 22 (1970)
- Labor is not fighting for a larger slice of the national pie. Labor is fighting for a larger pie.
- Writing in The New Republic, Vol. 114 (1946)
- We have a saying in the union: "If a fellow looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, the possibility is that he is a duck." That is the way with a Communist. If the guy does everything that the party does, the prospects are very good that he is a party member or fellow traveler.
- Regarding Communists; hearing before the Senate Committee on Labor and Public Welfare (1953)