Virus (1980 film)
1980 film by Kinji Fukasaku
Fukkatsu no Hi, literally Day of Resurrection, also known as Virus is a 1980 post-apocalyptic science fiction film about an advanced virus wiping out all life on Earth except 863 people in Antarctica.
US President RichardsonEdit
- [seeing Sen Barkley die of the Italian Flu] You were my opponent in every political battle, but you were never ... you were never my enemy.
- [apparently disgusted with JCS chief of staff General Garland's repeated insistence in activating the Automated Response System even when the pandemic's out of control] You're a fool, General. There's no one left. [dies]
- [In giving a sample of MM88 to a group of Americans for study in Switzerland, East German scientist Dr Krause sees one of them suddenly sneeze in the cold.]
- Dr. Krause: You have a cold?
- Big Man: Oh it is nothing.
- Krause: If I were to open this ampoule to the air, you would be dead within three days.
- [US President Richardson at seeing news of the outbreak]
- President Richardson: All right. How long it will take to manufacture this vaccine in quantity?
- Science Official: Mr President, we haven't been able to isolate the cause. The virus - if it is a virus - it's like the common cold, it is everywhere, it is nowhere!
- Sen. Barkley: I'd like to say this point, I suggest, we might have been in a better position to develop a crash program if it's budget hasn't been slashed against the specific wishes of Congress.
- Richardson: [flustered] Damn it senator, I don't have to hear that from you!
- Cabinet Official: [to science official] You mean there's no vaccine? Then what is it we're giving the police and fire department personnel? The essential services, the military alert crews if not a vaccine? It's just that we don't have enough for the general populace. Isn't that right?
- Science Official: We've put together a soup of every flu-related vaccine we know. It's effect leaves something to be desired. In fact, it's more of a placebo than anything else.
- Cabinet Official: [enraged because he was administered a shot] You gave me a goddamn placebo?!!?!
- [US President Richardson establishes contact with Palmer Station in Antarctica]
- President Richardson: Palmer Station, this is the President of the United States.
- Admiral Conway: This is Admiral Conway, Mr President.
- Richardson: I would like the entire American contingent to hear what I have to say. Has the sickness hit your station yet?
- Conway: No sir, there is no sign of any illness here.
- Richardson: And the other stations?
- Conway: There are no reported illnesses at any of the other stations, and we are in more or less regular contact. How bad is it, Mr President?
- Richardson: Patch me through to the other Antarctic bases.
- Conway: All of them sir?
- Richardson: All of them, Admiral Conway.
- Conway: Right away, Mr President. [signals other Antarctic bases]
- Radio Operator: Attention, attention all stations! Please stand by for an important message from the President of the United States. I repeat - all personnel, all stations, must listen to the following message. Please stand by.
- Richardson: It is with great regret and personal sorrow, as well as the position of the government of the United States that I officially confirm what most of you already know. The world has been beset by horrible plague, and we are now unable to devise an effective vaccine. The United States has sustained... sustained casualties of the greatest magnitude. No country has escaped a similar fate. We do know something about this virus. We know this virus remains dormant under subzero conditions. For this reason, you in Antarctica, have not been affected. Do not leave your sanctuary. Do not allow those from the outside to enter. Under no conditions try to return. I offer you no solutions, no hope other than that, somehow, you may prevail. This time, try to work it out together, please. [pleads] Please? And may God bless you all. [signs off]
- [The Soviet submarine T232 has been denied by the Federal Council of Antarctica permission to land because of the crew being infected by Italian Flu. The skipper insists on doing so, until someone else cuts into the transmission]
- Unknown Voice: You will not land.
- Ensign Smirnov: Who is this speaking?
- Unknown Voice: Her Majesty's nuclear attack submarine Nereid. Capt McCloud at your service.
- Smirnov: This is not your concern, English!
- Captain McCloud: You have my most profound sympathies for your situation, Ensign Smirnov, but you cannot be allowed to disembark.
- Smirnov: I have a responsibility to my men!
- McCloud: You have a higher responsibility.
- Masao Kusakari - Yoshizumi
- Sonny Chiba - Dr. Yamauchi
- Isao Natsuyagi - Dr. Nakanishi
- Glenn Ford - President Richardson
- Robert Vaughn - Senator Barkley
- Stuart Gillard - Dr. Meyer
- George Touliatos - Colonel Rankin
- Henry Silva - General Garland
- George Kennedy - Admiral Conway
- Chris Wiggins - Dr. Borodinov
- Edward James Olmos - Captain Lopez
- Cec Linder - Dr. Latour
- Chuck Connors - Captain McCloud
- Bo Svenson - Major Carter
- Olivia Hussey - Marit