Valéry Giscard d'Estaing
French official and statesman
Valéry Giscard d'Estaing (born 2 February 1926) is a French centre-right politician who was President of the French Republic from 1974 until 1981. He is a member of the Constitutional Council of France.
|This political figure article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Vous n'avez pas, M. Mitterrand, le monopole du cœur. (You do not have, Mr Mitterrand, the monopoly of heart).
- The rejection of the Constitutional treaty by voters in France was a mistake that should be corrected.
- Speaking at the London School of Economics, quoted on EurActiv.com, "Giscard: France’s rejection of the Constitution was a ‘mistake’", March 2, 2006.
- Public opinion will be led to adopt, without knowing it, the proposals we dare not present to them directly. (...) This approach of 'divide and ratify' is clearly unacceptable. Perhaps it is a good exercise in presentation. But it would confirm to European citizens the notion that European construction is a procedure organised behind their backs by lawyers and diplomats.
- On the Lisbon Treaty, Le Monde, 15 June 2007
- This text is, in fact, a rerun of a great part of the substance of the constitutional treaty.
- On the Lisbon Treaty, in his blog, 25 June 2007, Valéry Giscard d'Estaing: Conclusions du Conseil européen de Bruxelles, 21 et 22 juin 2007, 25 June 2007.
- Europe without Greece is like a child without a birth certificate