Wikimedia list article
- If every fool wore a crown, we should all be kings
- English equivalent: If the beard were all, the goat might preach.
- "Philosophy, like charity, begins at home; but also, like charity, I should wish it to extend, and become the more beneficial the more it expands."
- Letitia Elizabeth Landon, Romance and Reality, Vol I. Chapter 17 (1831)
- Sawhney, Clifford (2004). The Book of Common and Uncommon Proverbs. Pustak Mahal. p. 135. ISBN 8122308546.
- В каламутній воді легко рибу ловити.
- Translation: It is good fishing in streamy water.
- English equivalent: It is good fishing in troubled waters.
- Meaning: "In taking advantage of chaotic conditions one can easily serve one's own purposes."
- Source for proverbs and meaning: Paczolay, Gyula (1997). European Proverbs in 55 languages. DeProverbio.com. p. 391. ISBN 1-875943-44-7.
- Яблуко від яблуньки не далеко.
- Translation: An apple is never far from the apple tree.
- English equivalent: The apple does not fall far from the tree.
- Meaning: "Children observe daily and — in their behaviour — often follow the example of their parents."
- Source for proverbs and meaning: Paczolay, Gyula (1997). European Proverbs in 55 languages. DeProverbio.com. p. 259. ISBN 1-875943-44-7.