True Grit (2010 film)
2010 film directed by Ethan and Joel Coen
- You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him.
- [LaBoeuf has been talking about malum prohibitum and malum in se] I'm struck that LaBoeuf has been shot, trampled, and nearly severed his tongue, and not only does not cease to talk but he spills the banks of English.
- And 'futile', Marshal Cogburn, 'pursuit would be futile'? It's not spelled "f-u-d-e-l."
- I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world as it is, is vexing enough.
- I would not pay three hundred and twenty-five dollars for a winged Pegasus!
- Prosecutor: [questioning Cogburn about the goings on with the Wharton family] What did you do then?
- Rooster Cogburn: Well I backed away from the Axe and tried to talk some sense into him [Aaron Wharton]. While this is going on, C.C., he edges over to the wash pot there behind the steam and picks up the shotgun. Potter seen him, but it was too late. C.C. Wharton pulled out on Potter with one barrel and turned to do the same for me and I shot him - the old man raised the axe, and I shot him - Otis lit out and I shot him. [thoughtful pause] C.C. Wharton and Aaron Wharton were dead when they hit the ground, Otis was just winged.
- Defense Lawyer: I believe you testified you backed away from Aaron Wharton.
- Rooster Cogburn: That's right.
- Defense Lawyer: Which direction were you going?
- Rooster Cogburn: I always go backwards when I'm backing up.
- Mattie Ross: If I had killed Chaney, I would not be in this fix; but my gun misfired.
- Lucky Ned Pepper: [Chuckling] They will do it. It will embarrass you every time. Most girls like to play pretties, but you like guns do you?
- Mattie Ross: I do not care a thing about guns, if I did, I would have one that worked.
- Rooster Cogburn: The jakes is occupied.
- Mattie Ross: I know it is occupied, Mr. Cogburn. As I said, I have business with you.
- Rooster Cogburn: I have prior business.
- Mattie Ross: You have been at it for quite some time, Mr. Cogburn.
- Rooster Cogburn: There is no clock on my business! To hell with you! How did you stalk me here?
- Mattie Ross: The sheriff told me to look in the saloon. In the saloon they referred me here. We must talk.
- Rooster Cogburn: Women ain't allowed in the saloon!
- Mattie Ross: I was not there as a customer. I am fourteen years old.
- Rooster Cogburn: [long pause] The jakes is occupied. And will be for some time.
- Col. Stonehill: I will pay two hundred and twenty-five dollars and keep the grey horse. I don't want the ponies.
- Mattie Ross: I cannot accept that. There will be no settlement after I leave this office. It will go to Law.
- Col. Stonehill: [interjecting] Alright, this is my last offer: two hundred and fifty dollars; for that, I get the release previously discussed and I keep your father's saddle. The grey horse is not yours to sell!
- Mattie Ross: The saddle is not for sale, I will keep it. Lawyer Dagget will prove ownership of the grey horse, he will come after you with a writ of replevin.
- Rooster Cogburn: We'll sleep here and follow in the morning.
- Mattie Ross: But we promised to bury the poor soul inside!
- Rooster Cogburn: Ground's too hard. Them men wanted a decent burial, they should have got themselves killed in summer.
- Lucky Ned Pepper: What is your intention, Rooster? You think one on four is a dogfall?
- Rooster Cogburn: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which will you have?
- Lucky Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!
- Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hand you son-of-a-bitch!
- LaBoeuf: I've just come from Yell County.
- Mattie Ross: We have no rodeo clowns in Yell County.
- LaBoeuf: A saucy line will not get you far with me.
- LaBoeuf: You are getting ready to show your ignorance now, Cogburn. I don't mind a little personal chaffing but I won't hear anything against the Ranger troop from a man like you.
- Rooster Cogburn: How long have you boys been mounted on sheep down there?
- LaBoeuf: My white Appaloosa will be galloping when that big American stud of yours is winded and collapsed. Now make another joke about it. You are only trying to put on a show for this girl Mattie with what you must think is a keen tongue.
- Rooster Cogburn: This is like women talking.
- LaBoeuf: Yes, that is the way! Make me out foolish in this girl's eyes.
- Rooster Cogburn: I think she has got you pretty well figured.
- LaBoeuf: You give out very little sugar with your pronouncements. While I sat there watchin' I gave some thought to stealin' a kiss... though you are very young, and sick... and unattractive to boot. But now I have a mind to give you five or six good licks with my belt.
- Mattie Ross: One would be just as unpleasant as the other.
- Punishment comes one way or another.
- Jeff Bridges - U.S. Marshal Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn
- Matt Damon - Texas Ranger LaBoeuf
- Josh Brolin - Tom Chaney
- Hailee Steinfeld - Mattie Ross
- Barry Pepper - "Lucky" Ned Pepper
- Domhnall Gleeson - Moon (The Kid)
- Dakin Matthews - Colonel Stonehill
- Paul Rae - Emmett Quincy
- Nicholas Sadler - Sullivan