Trigun トライガン is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Yasuhiro Nightow. The manga was serialized in Tokuma Shoten's Shōnen Captain in 1995 with a total of 3 collected volumes when the magazine was discontinued in 1997. The series continued in Shōnen Gahosha's Young King Ours magazine, under the title Trigun Maximum トライガンマキシマム, where it remained until finishing in 2008. The series depicts a mysterious pacifist gunfighter wandering across a desert planet reminiscent of the American wild west, sparsely populated and with scarce natural resources, as he attracts an endless gauntlet of bounty hunters out to collect the astronomical reward for his life, marauding gangs of heavily-armed-cybernetically-enhanced-bandits and forgotten figures from his inadvertent-destruction riddled past.
The $$60,000,000,000 Man [1.1]Edit
- Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!
- Suicide? To tell you the truth, I disapprove of suicide more than anything.
- So did I work off the doughnuts and the ten double dollars?
- Vash: HAHAHAHAHA!!! I'M LIKE A SITTING DUCK OVER HERE! I'M DEFENSELESS!
- (bandit fires towards the voice but Vash grabs his gun, fires a smiley-face in a rock and holds him at gunpoint)
- Bandit: Oh, shit!
- Vash: Now, stand real still! You wouldn't want this gun to go off, would you?
- Bandit: I FOUND HIM! HE'S RIGHT OVER HERE, BOSS!
- Vash: Uh, would you mind lowering your gun like a good boy?
- Bandit: Forget it!
- Vash: You don't like pain, do you?
- Bandit: I'm used to it!
- Vash: Well, I'll feel sorry for your wife and kids, you'll make 'em cry...
- Bandit: I ain't got no kids and most women find me pretty offensive so I'm single!
- Vash: Sound like a pretty lonely life.
- Bandit: I'm telling you... (turns around) ... you have to die! It would sure make us all very happy if you do!
- Vash: (smiles) Sorry, I don't do requests!
- Bandit Leader: Our fate is being partners. The only possible way he can be happy is when I'm happy!
- Vash: (sarcastic) That's just beautiful!
Truth of Mistake [1.2]Edit
- Vash: And I'm known for my bullets never missing their mark. Especially if it's the heart of a beautiful lady. BANG! ~Vash
- Ooo scaaary. Later!
- Vash: Thanks a lot, dream wrecker
- Vash: *snort* SCARRRRYYYYYYYY!
- Vash: Ahh, I was so sure it would work out this time. She was such a cutie, but I guess there's no way it could have worked; I don't want to get arrested, and this one will probably be blamed on me too... Ahh.
Peace Maker [1.3]Edit
- Vash: (Slurred) Nightpatrol? Wow thats really great aren't these girls wonderful?
Frank: Here's to the beautiful women! Together: CHEERIO!
- Vash: Look do you see that little girl, her mother promised to buy her something with her money that used to be in that bank.
- Frank: you know her?
- Vash: Nah I just made it up.
- Frank: Whatdya plan to do with that gun?
- Vash: I intend to use it create equality and peace throughout the world!
Love and Peace [1.4]Edit
- (pointing gun at paid thug) You know what friend? Did anybody ever tell you that you lack compassion?
- Bandit: What's the matter? Just shoot the guy!!
- Vash: (lowers gun) ...Rem...
- Milly: I'm really glad that you didn't shoot him.
Vash: Yeah, me too.
- This world is made of.... Love and Peace!!!!!!!!!!!
Hard Puncher [1.5]Edit
- Vash: I'm like a hunter of Peace, one who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that
- Vash: Mama, why does this keep happening to me? I haven't done anything wrong but I'm always in trouble and everybody's always picks on me, whado I do Mamaaaaa? [Notices he's been crying on boxers] AHH!!! (In the English dub, he says Why am I crying in French?!)
Lost July [1.6]Edit
- Vash:Stop there. I don't like sleeping with men, especially ugly ones. Would you please be good enough to go now?...Hey, he actually did what I asked him.
- [Talking about Milly and Meryl's sense of perception that he's actually buying for two.]
- Vash: Geez, those girls are pretty sharp. The big one [Milly] is exceptionally scary. My only salvation is she doesn't know how sharp she is.
And Between the Wasteland and Sky [1.8]Edit
- Vash: Ah, man! Why can't I just get a break?! Death and poverty like me so much, they brought FRIENDS! On yeah, and then the insurance girls! It never ends! ...ow.
- [While headbutting Kite to snap him out of being a crybaby]
- Vash: WHAT (thud) ARE (thud) YOU (thud) GET- (thud) ING (thud) ALL (thud) SENTI- (thud) MENTAL (thud) ON (thud) ME (thud) FOR (thud) YOU (thud) LITTLE (thud) SQUIRT?! ...Feeling better now?
- Vash: What a haul! Now we got some guns to play with!
- Vash: Well, I guess it is kind of a stupid approach, isn't it? I know that...you're right, it's true. It is very sloppy of me. But you know what? I made a promise. If I put out even one flame of life, it would make her sad.
Murder Machine [1.9]Edit
- Vash: I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobella Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andre Charton-Haymoss Ivanovicci Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser (... the Third- English). :(Please - Japanese) Don't hesitate to call-
- Milly: [Laughs.] What are you talking about, Mister Vash the Stampede?
- Vash: I HATE IT WHEN YOU CALL ME BY MY FULL NAME!
- Wolfwood: You're the outlaw!
- Vash: What's that got to do with anything?!
- Meryl: Why doesn't anything nice ever follow you!?
- Vash: I know, it's a real drag, isn't it!?
- Wolfwood: Well I'll be. I'm actually surprised that you can smile like that.
- Vash: Huh? What do you mean?
- Wolfwood: You had me kinda worried. I noticed you always smile and seem really friendly, but the way you smiled was so empty it hurt to watch you. You're hurting like crazy on the inside, yet you grin and bear it.
Quick Draw [1.10]Edit
- Vash: My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.
- [While exchanging gunshots at each other.]
- Vash: So this is what you got me so plastered for yesterday!
- Wolfwood: You really think I'd try something that cheap?!
- Vash: Yeah, I do, after you went and signed me up without asking!
- Wolfwood: You did the same to me!
- Vash: Hey, don't kill them! [Dodges gunfire.]
- Wolfwood: I'm amazed you can say that at a time like this!
- Vash: Hey, whatever happened to thou shalt not kill?!
Escape from Pain [1.11]Edit
- Wolfwood: (Thinking to himself while losing at chess) Oh man! Now what am I supposed to do? Should I butt this guy in the head and make a break for it? [gasps] No, no! What am I thinking? I can't do that! I'm a man of God for God's sake!
- Milly: Hey Mister Priest! What a peasant surprise!
- Wolfwood: Ha! Pleasant.
- Milly: Hey! That happened to be my can of pudding! And you wasted it. [knocks out offenders with her stun gun] You should never get between people and their pudding.
- Townswoman: (to Milly) Gee, young lady, you're enormous! Are you expecting sextuplets?
- Milly: [giggles and turns to Wolfwood] Isn't it lovely today out, honey?
- Wolfwood:[grimaces] Excruciatingly pleasant, honey.
- Moore: (hiding beneath Milly's duster) I am really sorry about all this.
- Wolfwood: It's all right. Just stay out of sight.
- [thugs scuffle by, looking for Moore]
- Wolfwood: (thinking) How did this happen? No matter what I do, I always seem to get into trouble with this girl. [Milly plucks the unlit cigarette from his lips] Hey!
- Milly: Secondhand smoke is bad for the baby, darling.
- Wolfwood: [forcing laughter] Oh, yeah. Gee. Sorry about that, honey
- [Milly and Wolfwood walk away from tent, Milly carrying pudding]
- Milly: Thank you for buying all of these for me Mr Wolfwood!
- Wolfwood: I should be thanking you. You saved my bacon, Chessmaster.
- Milly: I guess I'm good at chess. My big brother used to make me play chess with him all the time.
- Wolfwood: A big brother, huh? Hey, that must be nice. Any other siblings?
- Milly: [Milly holds out her hands, dropping the bags of pudding] No, but there's 10 brothers and sisters!
- Wolfwood: You're the youngest aren't you?
- Milly: Yeah. Wow! How did you know that!?
- Wolfwood: Sometimes the answers just crash down from heaven.
- The sky is unbelievably blue... There I go again. Guess it's kinda stupid, huh? Still keep thinking how I'd like to show it to you, even though that's no longer possible. I just can't help myself...
- The Deadly Dodgeball Head! A simple technique to hold the ball in place with intense suction! Try this at home, kids!
- They're dead. People are dead. You killed them all! You killed all the people! Die with them!
- I was dreaming, Rem. Everything... Everything was so horribly dry, even peoples' hearts. From far away, as I watched the people who lived there, I always found myself wondering how and why could they possibly keep on living? What motivation did they have that would get them up every day, no matter what, for the rest of their lives?
- This is all I can do. If I... If I shoot him now, you really would die. It would be wrong to shoot him, right?
Vash the Stampede [1.13]Edit
- I'm not that trusting. I kept my finger on the trigger the whole time.
- Meryl: (upon seeing Vash's scars for the first time) So those scars... are the price you paid for dealing with your opponents without killing them?
- Vash: It's not exactly... something I don't like girls to see. I think many of them would run away.
- Meryl: wouldn't run away... What I mean is, they wouldn't run away.
Little Arcadia [1.14]Edit
- (After helping Meryl from afar against the Nebraska family)That makes us even now for your help on the sandsteamer. *Frame shrinks* Hey! Is that all the screen time I get? *Frame disappears*
Demons Eye [1.15]Edit
- You killed them. Even though they did terrible things, the decision of who should and who should not live was never and never will be yours to make!
- Not to mention, during this conversation, I could have groped you at least five times... Ok, so let's say maybe four times.
- What kind of freak are you, lady?
- Instead of spending time cleaning up people, you should be cleaning your house for the man you love. Like me for example. I am kidding, you know...
- It's your job or your life.
- I can't explain now. If I did, you would be put in danger. *Perks up 200%* So it's been a lot of fun, but... Well... I guess that's all!!
- Legato, this time it's my turn to hunt you. I'll find you, whatever it takes.
Fifth Moon [1.16]Edit
- AW MAN, I ACTUALLY HAVE TO FIGHT THIS GUY!! How can I possibly win such a battle or even have a chance to survive a fight with a guy who smiles with those evil eyes?! The answer is I can't, I'm gonna be slaughtered, that's all. It's not even funny. I should just back out! That's what I should do alright! Yeah, yeah! For once I'm right! Yeah, yeah!
- My name is... VASH THE STAMPEDE!! Ladies and gentlemen, forgive the lack of warning, but I'm afraid it's time for my daily massacre! And if you don't believe I'm the real thing then take a long look at me and start freakin' out! Observe the red coat, lovely golden locks, and if you're still having doubts...check out my one-hundred percent accurate gunmanship!
- Are you telling me I have only two choices? To die or to let die?!
- I haven't seen anything there at all... Except my own fear.
- Not... the light!
Rem Saverem [1.17]Edit
- You know, you have me. I won't leave you alone. I promise I won't. Because I really love you, Rem!
- I didn't want to kill the spider. I wanted to save them both!
- Don't worry, Rem. I will... Take care of him.
Goodbye For Now [1.18]Edit
- It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance!
- I have fragmented visions. But more than anything, there's an ache in my heart that tells me I did it.
- Whenever I do anything, people die.
- Doesn't seem to matter how far I travel, my destiny is always followed by blood and gunsmoke. The result is always the same every time, mountains of death and debris.
- 'Thou shalt not kill,' remember?! What kind of church man are you anyway??
- Lina: I wanted to keep you safe, but it turned out the other way around. I was too weak.
- Vash: Don't be stupid.
- Lina: Thank you...I'm sorry.
- Vash: Those are both my lines.
Hang Fire [1.19]Edit
- Wolfwood: Are you dissing my beautiful Angelina 2 Vash?!
- Vash: Actually I'm dissing you, not your stupid broken motorcycle!!
- Wolfwood: Come again needle noggin'?
- Vash: Hey who you callin' needle noggin'?
- Wolfwood: I'd say it's pretty damn obvious!
- [singing] Total slaughter. Total slaughter. I won't leave a single man alive. La di da de die, Genocide. La di da de dud, An ocean of blood. Let's begin the killing time.
- We're searching for a place...where we can live our lives in peaceful days. No wars, and no stealing; a place that isn't run by fear; a place where people can live, and actually trust other human beings.
- Wolfwood: I picked up my first gun at the age of seven. And I shot. I remember how strangely easy it was to pull the trigger. Ha. I actually laughed. Because that one shot was all that was needed to silence that sickening piece of garbage who had the nerve to call himself my guardian. Ha. It was that simple. And so I was free. Yes, tomorrow would be different. Hm. Tomorrow. As much as I wanted to believe, it only went from bad to worse. A vicious cycle... I didn't want other kids to grow up like me, so I started my own orphanage. It was gratifying work, I was actually doing something for the good of others. It was my place of peace and happiness... yet sometimes, I still think to myself "there's no place worse than this planet. It's horrible here."
- Chapel the Evergeen: Life is an incessant series of problems. All difficult, with brutally limited choices, and a time limit.
- Vash: I failed. I failed to save someone again.
- Wolfwood: Man is born a mortal being, and we all make mistakes. It's part of the game. Just be more careful the next time.
- Vash: It's hard for me to accept making mistakes like this.
- Wolfwood: Then you can choose to suffer. That's also a part of the experience of mortal life.
- Vash: Oh yeah. Mortal.
- Legato: We should have died a very long time ago you and I. The instant we fell upon this sandy land without pain and without sorrow. Now the schedule's been merely set back. The end is near. It is time to embrace it.. That is why I must.. I must end it, end it now. This is the climax Vash the stamp- [gets cut off by Vash shooting him, before getting a gun pointed to his head] So do you hate me? I'm not surprised, if you do I wouldn't blame you. So many sad things happen to you, whether they are friend or enemy the people you meet die. Its enough to sap one's tears.
- Vash: Shut up!
- Legato: You know this is not finished yet. Did you really expect the end to come so easily? Don't you understand you're not human? It is time to realize exactly who you are!
- Vash: Oh no.. Please it can't be!
- Legato: There is power in that light. Power that you have always possessed. Even more this represents what you are.
- Vash: I..I can't.. Not again... NOT AGAIN!!!! [deactivates the Angel Arm]
- Legato: Haven't you given up yet Vash? Its really quite annoying.
- [towns people shoot at Vash]
- Vash: ... Bastard..
- Legato: You're out of options. Fight back or you'll die. Why don't you go ahead? I would welcome this to be my time. After all, there's no reason for such an egocentric, incomplete life like mine to be allowed to continue anyway. Give me the gift of nothingness. Give me death. My master is waiting for you. He's looking forward to your visit. I was compelled to attach this arm to myself, I had to because you refused to be by his side. Kill me.
- Vash: I-I can't..
- Legato: Go ahead
- Vash: I can't!
- Meryl: [watches Milly get thrown down to the ground] Milly!
- Vash: Stop them! No more! I said stop it now!
- Legato: Then shoot me! Its alright kill me.. Its simple all you need to do is pull the trigger. Once you have killed me this will all be over. Come on time to choose. You have free will.
- Vash: Stop it.. don't make me shoot.
- Legato: You're faith in humanity is hopelessly obstinate... to actually believe the prattlings of a woman who speaks in idealistic terms that are worthless. I guess that kind of thinking is reasonable for someone who has lived for more than a century. But that.. that way of life is pathetic, even comical. Rem Saverem, hmph, a waste of existence who only spoke in aggravating logic. A worthless human being, just like me.. but unlike you.
- Vash: THAT'S ENOUGH!
- Wolfwood: Luck and persistence won't work forever.
- Rem: As we journey through our lives we must always search for ways to make everyone happy.
- Wolfwood: Don't force your way of life upon others..
- Rem: No one has the right to take the life of another..
- Wolfwood: Don't tell me what your dreams are in a world like this!
- Rem: If you keep your vision clear you always find the future.
Live Through [1.25]Edit
- Vash: What have I... what have I be... come...?
Wolfwood, what am I supposed to do when I see him? I actually killed a man with my own hand... what could I possibly say to him? I'm no different... (Buries face in hands) Rem... I'm sorry, Rem... I did a terrible thing... Now I'm a sinner too...
Under the Sky So Blue [1.26]Edit
- Knives: The humans treat you well? Did you have fun, dear brother?
- Vash: Yeah, I did! Best thing that ever happened to me.
- Knives (telepathically): [both using telepathy] I didn't create these weapons to be wasted like that!
- Vash (telepathically): Using them this way is the only thing that gives them any meaning at all.
- Knives: It's hopeless, isn't it?
- Vash: I've made my decision.
- Knives:: You're not a human being. You're a plant.
- Vash I know that.
- Knives: You're a superior being.
- Vash: I disagree.
- Vash: That day, that time, 130 years ago we were born, weren't we? There was nothing but peaceful days, and Rem was always close behind us. But our disagreeing thoughts changed each of our ways of life, didn't they? I don't regret it. I will vow once again not to kill, not to betray, but to find happiness, to talk about my dreams, because the ticket to the future is always blank.
- I've always really liked industrial design, and whenever I'm out and about I find my eyes being constantly drawn to what I'd like to consider ‘good shapes'. Like any other artist, though, I draw a lot of my inspiration from movies, toys or artists that I admire. And about the intricacy of my character designs – well, I am sure readers have noticed, but there are subtle inconsistencies in design and art in each panel. These intricacies come back to haunt me every time I notice a difference in one panel to the next, and I really wonder sometimes why I decided to make Vash and Legato so detailed (laughs).
- OK, OK, I remember now: In English, people use the term ‘dynamic' to politely describe something that is ‘incomprehensible', right (laughs)? To be completely honest with you, the parts of Trigun Maximum that I pay special attention to and try to make easy to understand are the action scenes within the story. I have all these images running through my head of characters moving this way and that, and contorting into all sort sorts of amazing action poses, but thinking about it and putting it to paper are always two different things. If I try to get the ideas from my head to the paper without compromising the original poses or action that I had, it often comes out complicated, affecting the ‘follow-ability' of the story, as well. Also, regarding the story, I have continually been trying to build it in a logical and intuitive manner, so maybe that's why it seems like the story has become easier to follow. One thing I'd like to note: I think that in creating manga, both hemispheres of the brain are used, and the differences between the two show themselves as you create.