- 1 Vash the Stampede
- 1.1 Episode 1 - The $$60,000,000,000 Man
- 1.2 Episode 2 - Truth of Mistake
- 1.3 Episode 3 - Peace Maker
- 1.4 Episode 4 - Love and Peace
- 1.5 Episode 5 - Hard Puncher
- 1.6 Episode 6 - Lost July
- 1.7 Episode 7 - B.D.N.
- 1.8 Episode 8 - And Between the Wasteland and Sky
- 1.9 Episode 9 - Murder Machine
- 1.10 Episode 10 - Quick Draw
- 1.11 Episode 11 - Escape from Pain
- 1.12 Episode 12 - Diablo
- 1.13 Episode 13 - Vash the Stampede
- 1.14 Episode 14 - Little Arcadia
- 1.15 Episode 15 - Demons Eye
- 1.16 Episode 16 - Fifth Moon
- 1.17 Episode 17 - Rem Saverem
- 1.18 Episode 18 - Goodbye For Now
- 1.19 Episode 19- Hang Fire
- 1.20 Episode 22 - Alternative
- 1.21 Episode 23 - Paradise
- 1.22 Episode 24 - Sin
- 1.23 Episode 25 - Live Through
- 1.24 Episode 26 - Under the Sky So Blue
- 2 Meryl Stryfe
- 2.1 Episode 1 - The $$60 Billion Man
- 2.2 Episode 2 - The Truth of Mistake
- 2.3 Episode 5- Hard Puncher
- 2.4 Episode 11 - Escape from Pain
- 2.5 Episode 12 - Diablo
- 2.6 Episode 13 - Vash the Stampede
- 2.7 Epiosde 14 - Little Arcadia
- 2.8 Episode 16 - Fifth Moon
- 2.9 Episode 19 - Hang Fire
- 2.10 Episode 25 - Live Through
- 3 Milly Thompson
- 4 Nicholas D. Wolfwood
- 5 Rem Saverem
- 6 Legato Bluesummers
- 7 Millions Knives
- 8 Midvalley the Hornfreak
- 9 Episode Preview Quotes
- 9.1 1) The $$60 Billion Man
- 9.2 2) Truth of Mistake
- 9.3 3) Peace Maker
- 9.4 4) Love and Peace
- 9.5 5) Hard Puncher
- 9.6 6) Lost July
- 9.7 7) B.D.N.
- 9.8 8) And Between the Wasteland and Sky...
- 9.9 9) Murder Machine
- 9.10 10) Quick Draw
- 9.11 11) Escape From Pain
- 9.12 12) Diablo
- 9.13 13) Vash The Stampede
- 9.14 14) Little Arcadia
- 9.15 15) Demons Eye
- 9.16 16) Fifth Moon
- 9.17 17) Rem Saverem
- 9.18 18) Goodbye For Now
- 9.19 19) Hang Fire
- 9.20 20) Flying Ship
- 9.21 21) Out of Time
- 9.22 22) Alternative
- 9.23 23) Paradise
- 9.24 24) Sin
- 9.25 25) Live Through
- 9.26 26) Under The Sky So Blue
- 9.27 About Trigun
- 9.28 External links
Vash the StampedeEdit
Episode 1 - The $$60,000,000,000 ManEdit
- "To the potty, sir."
- "Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!" (In Japanese, "It's only fun until somebody gets hurt.")
- "Suicide? To tell you the truth, I disapprove of suicide more than anything."
- "So did I work off the doughnuts and the ten double dollars?"
- Vash: HAHAHAHAHA!!! I'M LIKE A SITTING DUCK OVER HERE! I'M DEFENSELESS!
- (bandit fires towards the voice but Vash grabs his gun, fires a smiley-face in a rock and holds him at gunpoint)
- Bandit: Oh, shit!
- Vash: Now, stand real still! You wouldn't want this gun to go off, would you?
- Bandit: I FOUND HIM! HE'S RIGHT OVER HERE, BOSS!
- Vash: Uh, would you mind lowering your gun like a good boy?
- Bandit: Forget it!
- Vash: You don't like pain, do you?
- Bandit: I'm used to it!
- Vash: Well, I'll feel sorry for your wife and kids, you'll make 'em cry...
- Bandit: I ain't got no kids and most women find me pretty offensive so I'm single!
- Vash: Sound like a pretty lonely life.
- Bandit: I'm telling you... (turns around) ... you have to die! It would sure make us all very happy if you do!
- Vash: (smiles) Sorry, I don't do requests!
- Bandit Leader: Our fate is being partners. The only possible way he can be happy is when I'm happy!
- Vash: (sarcastic) That's just beautiful!
Episode 2 - Truth of MistakeEdit
- "And I'm known for my bullets never missing their mark. Especially if it's the heart of a beautiful lady. BANG!" ~Vash
- "Ooo scaaary. Later!"
- "Thanks a lot, dream wrecker"
- " *snort* SCARRRRYYYYYYYY!"
- "Ahh, I was so sure it would work out this time. She was such a cutie, but I guess there's no way it could have worked; I don't want to get arrested, and this one will probably be blamed on me too... Ahh."
Episode 3 - Peace MakerEdit
- Vash: "(Slurred) Nightpatrol? Wow thats really great aren't these girls wonderful?"
Frank: "Here's to the beautiful women!" Together: "CHEERIO!"
- Vash: "Look do you see that little girl, her mother promised to buy her something with her money that used to be in that bank.
Frank: you know her?" Vash: "Nah I just made it up."
- Frank: "Whatdya plan to do with that gun?"
Vash: "I intend to use it create equality and peace throughout the world!"
Episode 4 - Love and PeaceEdit
- (pointing gun at paid thug) "You know what friend? Did anybody ever tell you that you lack compassion?"
- Bandit: "What's the matter? Just shoot the guy!!"
- Vash: (lowers gun) ...Rem...
- Milly: "I'm really glad that you didn't shoot him."
Vash: "Yeah, me too."
- "This world is made of.... Love and Peace!!!!!!!!!!!"
Episode 5 - Hard PuncherEdit
- "I'm like a hunter of Peace, one who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that"
- "Mama, why does this keep happening to me? I haven't done anything wrong but I'm always in trouble and everybody's always picks on me, whado I do Mamaaaaa?" [Notices he's been crying on boxers] "AHH!!!" (In the English dub, he says "Why am I crying in French?!")
Episode 6 - Lost JulyEdit
- "Stop there. I don't like sleeping with men, especially ugly ones. Would you please be good enough to go now?...Hey, he actually did what I asked him."
Episode 7 - B.D.N.Edit
- [Talking about Milly and Meryl's sense of perception that he's actually buying for two.]
- "Geez, those girls are pretty sharp. The big one [Milly] is exceptionally scary. My only salvation is she doesn't know how sharp she is."
Episode 8 - And Between the Wasteland and SkyEdit
- "Ah, man! Why can't I just get a break?! Death and poverty like me so much, they brought FRIENDS! On yeah, and then the insurance girls! It never ends! ...ow."
- [While headbutting Kite to snap him out of being a crybaby]
- "WHAT (thud) ARE (thud) YOU (thud) GET- (thud) ING (thud) ALL (thud) SENTI- (thud) MENTAL (thud) ON (thud) ME (thud) FOR (thud) YOU (thud) LITTLE (thud) SQUIRT?! ...Feeling better now?"
- "What a haul! Now we got some guns to play with!"
- "Well, I guess it is kind of a stupid approach, isn't it? I know that...you're right, it's true. It is very sloppy of me. But you know what? I made a promise. If I put out even one flame of life, it would make her sad."
Episode 9 - Murder MachineEdit
- Vash: I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobella Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andre Charton-Haymoss Ivanovicci Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser (... the Third- English). (Please - Japanese) Don't hesitate to call-
- Milly: [Laughs.] What are you talking about, Mister Vash the Stampede?
- Vash: I HATE IT WHEN YOU CALL ME BY MY FULL NAME!
- Wolfwood: You're the outlaw!
- Vash: What's that got to do with anything?!
- Meryl: Why doesn't anything nice ever follow you!?
Vash: I know, it's a real drag, isn't it!?
Episode 10 - Quick DrawEdit
- My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.
- [While exchanging gunshots at each other.]
- Vash: So this is what you got me so plastered for yesterday!
- Wolfwood: You really think I'd try something that cheap?!
- Vash: Yeah, I do, after you went and signed me up without asking!
- Wolfwood: You did the same to me!
- Vash: Hey, don't kill them! [Dodges gunfire.]
- Wolfwood: I'm amazed you can say that at a time like this!
- Vash: Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not kill"?!
Episode 11 - Escape from PainEdit
- Wolfwood: (Thinking to himself while losing at chess) Oh man! Now what am I supposed to do? Should I butt this guy in the head and make a break for it? [gasps] No, no! What am I thinking? I can't do that! I'm a man of God for God's sake!
- Milly: Hey Mister Priest! What a peasant surprise!
- Wolfwood: Ha! Pleasant.
- Milly: Hey! That happened to be my can of pudding! And you wasted it. [knocks out offenders with her stun gun] You should never get between people and their pudding.
- Townswoman: (to Milly) Gee, young lady, you're enormous! Are you expecting sextuplets?
- Milly: [giggles and turns to Wolfwood] Isn't it lovely today out, honey?
- Wolfwood:[grimaces] Excruciatingly pleasant, honey.
- Moore: (hiding beneath Milly's duster) I am really sorry about all this.
- Wolfwood: It's all right. Just stay out of sight.
[thugs scuffle by, looking for Moore]
- Wolfwood: (thinking) How did this happen? No matter what I do, I always seem to get into trouble with this girl. [Milly plucks the unlit cigarette from his lips] Hey!
- Milly: Secondhand smoke is bad for the baby, darling.
- Wolfwood:[forcing laughter] Oh, yeah. Gee. Sorry about that, honey
- [Milly and Wolfwood walk away from tent, Milly carrying pudding]
- Milly: Thank you for buying all of these for me Mr Wolfwood!
- Wolfwood: I should be thanking you. You saved my bacon, Chessmaster.
- Milly: I guess I'm good at chess. My big brother used to make me play chess with him all the time.
- Wolfwood: A big brother, huh? Hey, that must be nice. Any other siblings?
- Milly: [Milly holds out her hands, dropping the bags of pudding] No, but there's 10 brothers and sisters!
- Wolfwood: You're the youngest aren't you?
- Milly: Yeah. Wow! How did you know that!?
- Wolfwood: Sometimes the answers just crash down from heaven.
Episode 12 - DiabloEdit
- "The sky is unbelievably blue... There I go again. Guess it's kinda stupid, huh? Still keep thinking how I'd like to show it to you, even though that's no longer possible. I just can't help myself..."
- "The Deadly Dodgeball Head! A simple technique to hold the ball in place with intense suction! Try this at home, kids!"
- "They're dead. People are dead. You killed them all! You killed all the people! Die with them!"
- "I was dreaming, Rem. Everything... Everything was so horribly dry, even peoples' hearts. From far away, as I watched the people who lived there, I always found myself wondering how and why could they possibly keep on living? What motivation did they have that would get them up every day, no matter what, for the rest of their lives?"
- "This is all I can do. If I... If I shoot him now, you really would die. It would be wrong to shoot him, right?"
Episode 13 - Vash the StampedeEdit
- "I'm not that trusting. I kept my finger on the trigger the whole time."
- Meryl: (upon seeing Vash's scars for the first time) So those scars... are the price you paid for dealing with your opponents without killing them?
- Vash: It's not exactly... something I don't like girls to see. I think many of them would run away.
- Meryl: I wouldn't run away... What I mean is, they wouldn't run away.
Episode 14 - Little ArcadiaEdit
- (After helping Meryl from afar against the Nebraska family)"That makes us even now for your help on the sandsteamer." *Frame shrinks* "Hey! Is that all the screen time I get?!" *Frame disappears*
Episode 15 - Demons EyeEdit
- "You killed them. Even though they did terrible things, the decision of who should and who should not live was never and never will be yours to make!"
- "Not to mention, during this conversation, I could have groped you at least five times... Ok, so let's say maybe four times."
- "What kind of freak are you, lady?!"
- "Instead of spending time cleaning up people, you should be cleaning your house for the man you love. Like me for example. I am kidding, you know..."
- "It's your job or your life."
- "I can't explain now. If I did, you would be put in danger." *Perks up 200%* "So it's been a lot of fun, but... Well... I guess that's all!!"
- "Legato, this time it's my turn to hunt you. I'll find you, whatever it takes."
Episode 16 - Fifth MoonEdit
- "AW MAN, I ACTUALLY HAVE TO FIGHT THIS GUY!! How can I possibly win such a battle or even have a chance to survive a fight with a guy who smiles with those evil eyes?! The answer is I can't, I'm gonna be slaughtered, that's all. It's not even funny. I should just back out! That's what I should do alright! Yeah, yeah! For once I'm right! Yeah, yeah!"
- "My name is... VASH THE STAMPEDE!! Ladies and gentlemen, forgive the lack of warning, but I'm afraid it's time for my daily massacre! And if you don't believe I'm the real thing then take a long look at me and start freakin' out! Observe the red coat, lovely golden locks, and if you're still having doubts...check out my one-hundred percent accurate gunmanship!"
- "Are you telling me I have only two choices? To die or to let die?!"
- "I haven't seen anything there at all... Except my own fear."
- "Not... the light!"
Episode 17 - Rem SaveremEdit
- "You know, you have me. I won't leave you alone. I promise I won't. Because I really love you, Rem!"
- "I didn't want to kill the spider. I wanted to save them both!"
- "Don't worry, Rem. I will... Take care of him."
Episode 18 - Goodbye For NowEdit
- "It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance!"
- "I have fragmented visions. But more than anything, there's an ache in my heart that tells me I did it."
- "Whenever I do anything, people die."
- "Doesn't seem to matter how far I travel, my destiny is always followed by blood and gunsmoke. The result is always the same every time, mountains of death and debris."
- "'Thou shalt not kill,' remember?! What kind of church man are you anyway??"
- Lina: "I wanted to keep you safe, but it turned out the other way around. I was too weak."
- Vash: "Don't be stupid."
- Lina: "Thank you...I'm sorry."
- Vash: "Those are both my lines."
Episode 19- Hang FireEdit
- Wolfwood: Are you dissing my beautiful Angelina 2 Vash?!
- Vash: Actually I'm dissing you, not your stupid broken motorcycle!!
- Wolfwood: Come again needle noggin'?
- Vash: Hey who you callin' needle noggin'?
- Wolfwood: I'd say it's pretty damn obvious!
- [singing] "Total slaughter. Total slaughter. I won't leave a single man alive. La di da de dide, Genocide. La di da de dud, An ocean of blood. Let's begin the killing time."
Episode 22 - AlternativeEdit
- "We're searching for a place...where we can live our lives in peaceful days. No wars, and no stealing; a place that isn't run by fear; a place where people can live, and actually trust other human beings."
Episode 23 - ParadiseEdit
- Wolfwood: What's wrong?
- Vash: I failed. I failed to save someone again.
- Wolfwood: Man is born a mortal being, and we all make mistakes. It's part of the game. Just be more careful the next time.
- Vash: It's hard for me to accept making mistakes like this.
- Wolfwood: Then you can choose to suffer. That's also a part of the experience of mortal life.
- Vash: Oh yeah. Mortal.
Episode 24 - SinEdit
- Legato: We should have died a very long time ago you and I. The instant we fell upon this sandy land without pain and without sorrow. Now the schedule's been merely set back. The end is near. It is time to embrace it.. That is why I must.. I must end it, end it now. This is the climax Vash the stamp- [gets cut off by Vash shooting him, before getting a gun pointed to his head] So do you hate me? I'm not surprised, if you do I wouldn't blame you. So many sad things happen to you, whether they are friend or enemy the people you meet die. Its enough to sap one's tears.
- Vash: Shut up!
- Legato: You know this is not finished yet. Did you really expect the end to come so easily? Don't you understand you're not human? It is time to realize exactly who you are!
- Vash: Oh no.. Please it can't be!
- Legato: There is power in that light. Power that you have always possessed. Even more this represents what you are.
- Vash: I..I can't.. Not again... NOT AGAIN!!!! [deactivates the Angel Arm]
- Legato: Haven't you given up yet Vash? Its really quite annoying.
[towns people shoot at Vash]
- Vash: ... Bastard..
- Legato: You're out of options. Fight back or you'll die. Why don't you go ahead? I would welcome this to be my time. After all, there's no reason for such an egocentric, incomplete life like mine to be allowed to continue anyway. Give me the gift of nothingness. Give me death. My master is waiting for you. He's looking forward to your visit. I was compelled to attach this arm to myself, I had to because you refused to be by his side. Kill me.
- Vash: I-I can't..
- Legato: Go ahead
- Vash: I can't!
- Meryl: [watches Milly get thrown down to the ground] Milly!
- Vash: Stop them! No more! I said stop it now!
- Legato: Then shoot me! Its alright kill me.. Its simple all you need to do is pull the trigger. Once you have killed me this will all be over. Come on time to choose. You have free will.
- Vash: Stop it.. don't make me shoot.
- Legato: You're faith in humanity is hopelessly obstinate... to actually believe the prattlings of a woman who speaks in idealistic terms that are worthless. I guess that kind of thinking is reasonable for someone who has lived for more than a century. But that.. that way of life is pathetic, even comical. Rem Saverem, hmph, a waste of existence who only spoke in aggravating logic. A worthless human being, just like me.. but unlike you.
- Vash: THAT'S ENOUGH!
- Wolfwood: Luck and persistence won't work forever.
- Rem: As we journey through our lives we must always search for ways to make everyone happy.
- Wolfwood: Don't force your way of life upon others..
- Rem: No one has the right to take the life of another..
- Wolfwood: Don't tell me your dreams are in a world like this!
- Rem: If you keep your vision clear you always find the future.
Episode 25 - Live ThroughEdit
- "What have I... what have I be... come...?"
- [Talking to himself while recuperating from his fight with Legato]
- "Wolfwood, what am I supposed to do when I see him? I actually killed a man with my own hand... what could I possibly say to him? I'm no different..." (Buries face in hands) "Rem... I'm sorry, Rem... I did a terrible thing... Now I'm a sinner too..."
Episode 26 - Under the Sky So BlueEdit
- [While about to square off with Knives]
- Knives: You're not a human being. You're a plant.
- Vash: I know that.
- Knives: You're a superior being.
- Vash: I disagree.
Episode 1 - The $$60 Billion ManEdit
- "What do we do?... Duh, we run away. That's what."
- "You know, we didn't come out here to save your sorry butt!"
- "Pretty pathetic hero if you ask me." [about Vash]
Episode 2 - The Truth of MistakeEdit
- "You're the easily deceived type who cries himself to sleep every night aren't you." [about Vash]
Episode 5- Hard PuncherEdit
- "It's actually him. He's for real, the legendary outlaw, Vash the Stampede."
Episode 11 - Escape from PainEdit
- "All of life's journeys come with meetings, partings, and reunions."
Episode 12 - DiabloEdit
- "Who is he? That's not Vash. That is not the same man. He's walking away. If we let him leave now he'll never come back."
Episode 13 - Vash the StampedeEdit
- "What are you talking about? He wasn't funny, he was down right weird. Milly, no one in the right mind could tell that goofball was him!"
- "And so he finally took his gun into his hand. He pulled the trigger for the first time to save the very people who had tried to kill him."
- "Vash the Stampede. Everytime I observe his actions I can't help sense something hidden deep within him. Something we can't begin to understand. But this much is certain. Everyone who has become involved with him has somehow gained an emotion which was once lost."
- "Who is that man? Can he possibly the real Vash the Stampede? The evil $$60 Billion outlaw with the fire of hell burning in his eyes?"
- "There's so many sides to him. Which is the real side of Vash?"
Epiosde 14 - Little ArcadiaEdit
- *Cough* "He's not my boyfriend!!... Stop it! I don't even like him!!" [about Vash]
Episode 16 - Fifth MoonEdit
- "How can you stand there and say such awful things about him?! I mean after all, you have no idea what kind of person he is. I think you're disgusting!" [about rumors concerning Vash]
- "If necessary, we'll follow him to the ends of the earth! It's not only our job, it's become our mission to track him down!"
Episode 19 - Hang FireEdit
- "But you know what, despite his frightening and awful reputation, Vash turned out to be more than a regular guy than you would have thought."
- "Donuts are his favorite food..."
Episode 25 - Live ThroughEdit
- "But you're wrong, no one ever has the right to take the life of another person. No one, no one ever has the right to take the life of another. No one. And everyone, everyone deserves a future. Don't you think that's true? Please, please, it's time to stop the fighting now. It's up to us to end the cycle of hatred. If we don't work to end the sorrow this time, then the cycle of pain will just continue on. When we were all born, were any of us made to steal or cause others harm? "
- "If we can't come with you, we can't do our job! I'll hate you! I'll haunt you and your children and your children's children, too!"
- "You should never get between people and their pudding."
- "Absolutely muffin!"
- "Of course it's heavy. It's full of mercy!" [Referring to Wolfwood's Cross Punisher]
Nicholas D. WolfwoodEdit
- "Well I'll be...so you can smile like that."
- “Homma-ni tasuketaa! Oukini!” (Wolfwood’s ’‘wastefully’’ Kansai way of thanking Vash for saving him—Standard Japanese would be “Honto-ni tasuketaa! Arigato!”)
- “Wait a minute, I can't do that! I'm a man of God for God's sake. (referring to cheating in chess)
- “She does everything I can’t, like it’s no big deal at all. It’s really irritating.”
(referring to Milly)
- “Lord, what the hell am I doing?”
- “When I look at you, I’m reminded of everything I hate about myself. You know, it hurts.”
- “[It’s so heavy] because it's filled with mercy!” (speaking of Wolfwood’s Cross Punisher)
- “We're nothing like God. Not only do we have limited powers, we sometimes are driven to become the Devil himself.”
- “Don't you tell me, don’t tell me your dreams in a world like this!”
- "Luck and persistence won't work forever."
- "You expect me to become a living target, like you?"
- "I see. So that's how you live. That's how you choose to live. You know what? You really piss me off."
- "I picked up my first gun at the age of 7, and i shot.. i remember how strangely easy it was to pull the trigger (chuckles) i actually laughed."
- "Yes, tomorrow things would be different... hmm.. tomorrow."
Episode 9 "Murder Machine"Edit
- "Now I can see why the short-haired girl's so pissed off at you all the time! When you're around, everything gets worse!"
- "So You CAN smile! Seeing Your previous smile so empty was like You were hiding most excruciating pain behind the mask of smiled face."
Episode 19 "Hang Fire"Edit
- [Vash and Wolfwood eating spaghetti at restaurant]
- Wolfwood: The more I think about it, I don't want this town to turn into a Little Jersey. Let's take off before it's destroyed.
- [Vash whimpering]
- Wolfwood: KNOCK IT OFF!
- Vash: But doesn't that story get you upset?! Why do things like that have to happen?
- Wolfwood: It's not like it's anything new. This kinda thing happens all the time. Even the peaceful folk will take up arms if someone happens to threaten or kill a family member. Bottom line is, we should go before we get involved in this. [looks up and sees black cat] I had my suspicions that you were no mere mortal, but I never thought you were a cat. WAIT! What the hell am I saying? Where is that idiot?
- Waiter: Sir? All together, you meal comes to $$30.
- Wolfwood: Put it on my tab?
- Waiter: No dice.
- "Your ticket to the future is always blank."
- "The choices we make in life have unlimited possibilities. All I can do is think about them."
- "No one has the right to take the life of another."
- "If you keep your vision clear you will see the future. What happens in our future is our own responsibility."
- "Vash! Take Care of Knives!"
- (After a bar patron shoots his first one) " A fork, please."
- " Why don't you go ahead? I would welcome this to be my time. After all, there's no reason for such an egocentric, incomplete life like mine to be allowed to continue anyway. Give me the gift of nothingness. Give me death."
- " Humans. How pathetic."
- " This is not an act of mercy. This is to show you the pain of living..."
- " I intend to eventually destroy all of mankind, right down to the very last speck of dust yet... Why is it that you insist on meeting your death sooner?"
- " Every time you make that face, it's strange. My left arm begins to shake uncontrollably because it happens to be the very arm that attached your arm to your body."
- " Your reaction was better than I'd hoped. You're fun. And to think I could kill every man, woman, and child here, in the blink of an eye, if I wanted to… The power of death is intoxicating."
- " It's a simple formula. The greater the tragedy, the greater the emotional effect."
- " Master, I will make Vash the Stampede experience eternal pain and suffering."
- "I'm just killing the spiders to save the butterflies."
- "The only reason the human race came to posses the capability of compassion and sense of morals was because they somehow mistakenly believed themselves to be a superior breed of beast. The moment that they can taste the fear of knowing there is a superior breed, something seems to take control of them every time, and for some reason, humans act merely by instinct from that point on."
- "If you keep saving butterflies, spiders will starve to death! But...wanting to save both is a contradiction. What would you rather do? Keep deliberating? The butterfly will be eaten in the meantime."
Midvalley the HornfreakEdit
- “It’s time to play. Join me on a number, won’t you Vash the Stampede?”
- “I have to accept this as my fate... the destiny of the dying..”
Episode Preview QuotesEdit
1) The $$60 Billion ManEdit
There's something that cannot be expressed in words: human emotion. Emotions of the heart can't just be tucked away in a closet. But there is a way to know the emotions. Look into the eyes. The girl lied to me, and I believed her. The gentleman lied to me when I trusted him. But the moment I looked into his eyes, the angel of destiny began to unravel the truth. Just Look into their eyes. There is only one truth.
2) Truth of MistakeEdit
Those who make mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix the mistake; men can't return to the past. That's why they drink. Lushes, drunks, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute memories that can't be forgotten. Frank Marlon the gunsmith does nothing but drink, and he questions the glass after it is empty, am I wrong? Was I wrong?
3) Peace MakerEdit
A past that can't be forgotten and can't be buried. A past which can't even be shaken for just a little time. The sentiment deep inside each of their hearts is strong and equal. For beloved parents, and for a beloved daughter. Two men can only find the answer from behind their triggers. The moment the sentimental bullets flew towards each other, the men stood silent, yet were weeping. The past enslaves.
4) Love and PeaceEdit
Whenever something is gained, something is always lost. It's difficult to live after something like that. What is lost will never return. Important things, irreplaceable things... But what is needed to keep those things is in the firm will packed into one bullet. Man knows, he knows that nothing will begin unless he speaks, and that nothing will change, unless he moves.
5) Hard PuncherEdit
The longer one holds onto a memory, the longer one lives in the past. The deeper the memory they hold on to, the more beautiful the past will become. The beautiful memories will eventually turn into hate. Even if they look ahead, they lose the ability to walk. As long as the heavy chain called Revenge continues to bind the heart, the tears of sadness will continue to flow.
6) Lost JulyEdit
The tragedy endlessly repeated in order to fulfill desires. The lust for conquest making people bend to your will, a thrill intense enough to make you shudder. There is a man who is a slave to that ecstasy. The leader of the Bad Lads, a man who shines: Brilliant Dynamites Neon. The sand steamer will shake the moment the huge dynamos on each of his shoulders start to spark. In the pitch black darkness, the gruesome party begins.
People who sin say this: that they had to, to survive. People who sin say this: it's too late now to stop. The shadow called Sin dogs them steadily from behind, silently, without a word. Remorse and Agony are repeated, only to end up at Despair in the end. But the sinners just don't know, that if they'd only turn around, there is a light there, a light which keeps shining on them ever so warmly. A light that will never fade.
8) And Between the Wasteland and Sky...Edit
I met a lonely man in the desert, the traveling priest, Nicholas D. Wolfwood. He smiled, and then he told me that I’m a troubled man. Faced with his all-seeing smile, there was nothing I could say in my defense. Did I meet this man because I was destined to? Or was it simply by a small jest of God? The man’s name is Nicholas D. Wolfwood, a traveling priest I met in the desert.
9) Murder MachineEdit
I think I'd like to do something nice for somebody. I think it's good if you smile at someone and they smile in return. Voluntary love encourages people to create a sense of friendliness. Love that is unconditional gives us respect as people. However, it’s wrong to force love, to try to keep it alive. If the strain goes on, eventually it'll bloom into the flower called Lie, the deceptively thorny flower that hurts people.
10) Quick DrawEdit
A choice between two things. A forked road, a crossroad, where men given life must take, in order to stay alive. Whichever end they live on, they lose something. Whichever end they live on, they are unable to find happiness. But are there really only two paths to a forked road? No. There are infinite paths we must take. There is more than one path. There is more than one path to the future.
When the show originally aired in English on Adult Swim, the quote went differently:
A choice between two things. The forked road every person brought into the world must face. A crossroad. Whichever path they choose, they lose something. Whichever path they choose, they are unable to find happiness. But are there really only two paths to a forked road? No. There are infinite paths we should take. There is more than one path we should take. There is more than one path to the future.
11) Escape From PainEdit
All people have a sanctuary which must never be touched. A scar of sadness which must never be tread upon. The cooperation formed by the living to realize a dream or achieve an ideal. The man with the white coat told me in a quiet voice that he had finally found me, that he wanted my life. That man smiled a smile deeper than darkness. Legato Bluesummers, a man fascinated by death, only spoke quietly.
[Meryl speaking] Routine report, date July 20th. Two days after the incident cause by a man named Monev. Tension still runs high in the city. The incident made me realize something all over again. It’s an awareness which becomes obscured as I keep regular contact with him, that being, the reason Vash the Stampede is called the Humanoid Typhoon. Why is it that so much trouble falls into this man’s lap?
13) Vash The StampedeEdit
If you only face forward, there is something you will miss seeing. It is a virtue to devote one’s self to something, firmly believing in one’s own ideals. But that does not mean it’s alright to belittle the ideals or feelings of others. If you lead such a busy life and you don’t realize how your parents feel, it’s only self-satisfaction. It’s alright to stop every now and again, if you want a moment’s rest, if you want to feel what other people feel.
14) Little ArcadiaEdit
People judge people, lives are being cut short because of someone’s personal logic. Mothers, fathers, friends, their entire past instantly vanishes into thin air. The question is, should this take place at the whim of one individual. A beautiful woman stood before the corpses of the Rodric Thieves. She told me that she was merely discarding some useless garbage. Dominique the Cyclops, told me just to think of it as, spring cleaning.
15) Demons EyeEdit
The fragment of memory lost in the gap between life and death. Is it something which will point the way to spiritual awareness? The silver metallic gun cracked open, and my right arm metamorphosed. My past, my people, my mother...the moment I was reunited with everything I had ever protected, the light took Augusta. The Humanoid Typhoon, The $$60 Billion Man, Vash the Stampede. This is the beginning of my past. This is the end of my journey.
16) Fifth MoonEdit
[Young Vash speaking] Rem told me that someone she loved died on Earth. She told me she boarded this ship so she could start over. What does it feel like to have someone you love die? I tried thinking of what it would be like if Rem died. When I did hot water came out of my eyes, and it wouldn’t stop for a long time. Rem, I’ll always be there for you. I won’t leave you alone.
17) Rem SaveremEdit
Let us regard the fifth moon, shining down upon us from the skies, stained red with blood. And let us remember his name, his legend. To do so you only need to look up. Like it or not, his legend is chiseled into the fifth moon. A permanent etching from a terrible past. The legend of Vash the Stampede chiseled, forever, and then the time comes, you only need tell of the tracks, which lead to the future.
18) Goodbye For NowEdit
Strong will can stir the heart, but a will too strong can cut off the hearts visibility. The sorrow of a man bereaved of his family turns to hate, which eventually metamorphoses into the intent to kill. The man’s finger reaches for the trigger. Sins change people. Sin begets sin. But still, I want to believe, I want to believe in the heart, the heart that feels the sin.
19) Hang FireEdit
In times of hardship, in times of sadness, there is a place the traveler can let his mind return to. Home. I still don't know what kind of a past the traveler abandoned, when he left his home behind. I still don't know what kind of a sorrow he bears. But the traveler can keep walking forward, because he has something which sustains him, a place which accepts him. He can walk forward, step by careful step.
20) Flying ShipEdit
There is something you can’t give up. There is something you want to protect. There is a time you must take a stand no matter what kind of pain awaits us. The man clad in the red coat took up his gun once again, in order to stop the sadness, in order to stop the hate. I keep the word of the red geranium which I was taught so long ago. I keep the courage and determination, deep in my heart.
21) Out of TimeEdit
Self-protection. The means of protecting oneself. People expose their weaknesses, and thus form a group. Before they know it, they begin to exclude outsiders. But what becomes of those who have been excluded? I smiled at the children who lived in a tight group in their rickety house. Let's live today. Let's live tomorrow. And let's live the day after that...even if it means living in eternal pain.
To realize a mistake. To not lie. To love one another. To not kill. Those are very simple things, but the times won't allow for them. There is no green on this planet, even though we want it, though we want it so badly. A place where we can live peaceful days, with no wars nor stealing, a sacred place where people can live as people. Yes, there. That place is called...
Repeated tragedies, repeated pain, the wishes of a man are so strong, and yet so frail and weak. To live. To stay alive. Who would have thought that survival would be this hard, this painful? I must choose, I must make the choice, in the moment that intertwines life and death. Can I choose to remain a human?
I was dreaming Rem. Everything was so horribly dry there on that planet, even peoples hearts. As I watched the people who lived there from far away, I kept wondering why they went on living, how they kept on living. Rem, listen to me Rem, I went wrong! I went wrong! Tell me, what should I do?
25) Live ThroughEdit
That day, that time, 130 years ago we were born, weren’t we? There was nothing but peaceful days and Rem was always close behind us. But our disagreeing thoughts changed each of our ways of life, didn’t they? I don’t regret it. I vow once again not to kill, not to betray, but to find happiness, to talk about my dreams, because the ticket to the future is always blank.
26) Under The Sky So BlueEdit
[Last line of dialogue]
Rem...I will continue to believe in you. But from now on, I will look to my own words for guidance.
- OK, OK, I remember now: In English, people use the term ‘dynamic' to politely describe something that is ‘incomprehensible', right (laughs)? To be completely honest with you, the parts of Trigun Maximum that I pay special attention to and try to make easy to understand are the action scenes within the story. I have all these images running through my head of characters moving this way and that, and contorting into all sort sorts of amazing action poses, but thinking about it and putting it to paper are always two different things. If I try to get the ideas from my head to the paper without compromising the original poses or action that I had, it often comes out complicated, affecting the ‘follow-ability' of the story, as well. Also, regarding the story, I have continually been trying to build it in a logical and intuitive manner, so maybe that's why it seems like the story has become easier to follow. One thing I'd like to note: I think that in creating manga, both hemispheres of the brain are used, and the differences between the two show themselves as you create.
- Yasuhiro-Nightow