|This article about a political figure is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- This bill is called the Hate Crimes bill. The first major reason to vote no is because this bill increases hatred in America. I will say it again. This bill increases hatred in America. [...] It creates animosity by elevating one group over another group, and thus creates hatred. This is counter to everything American law has ever stood for, and it will increase hatred in America, and for that reason alone, it should be voted no.
- House of Representatives session, 2009-04-29, quoted in Sheppard, Kate (27 September 2012), "Todd Akin: The Highlights Reel", Mother Jones
- regarding the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act
- And yet we have terrorists in our own culture called abortionists.
- You find that along with the culture of death go all kinds of other law-breaking: not following good sanitary procedure, giving abortions to women who are not actually pregnant, cheating on taxes, all these kinds of things, misuse of anesthetics so that people die or almost die. All of these things are common practice, and all of that information is available for America.
- House of Representatives session, 2008-01-22, quoted in Marcotte, Amanda (2 October 2012), "New Todd Akin Videos Reveal His Dystopian Nightmare Vision of America", Slate
- Now, Social Security through the years, for many many people, has been a terrible investment. It's really a tax, that's all it is. Social Security is a tax.
- Washington Minute, CSPAN, 2011-03-19, quoted in Seitz-Wald, Alex (19 March 2011), "GOP Rep. Todd Akin On Social Security: ‘I Don’t Like It’", Think Progress
- It seems to me, first of all, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something: I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child.