- Facts are stubborn things.
- Translation of Gil Blas. Book x. Chap. 1. (1749).
- Also used by Jared Elliot in Essay on Field Husbandry, p. 35 (1747).
- Thy spirit, Independence, let me share,
Lord of the lion-heart and eagle-eye.
Thy steps I follow with my bosom bare,
Nor heed the storm that howls along the sky.
- Ode to Independence, strophe 1.
- Writing is all a lottery -- I have been a loser by the works of the greatest men of the age.
- Thy fatal shafts unerring move,
I bow before thine altar, Love!
Last modified on 15 April 2014, at 15:19