- Master Kingston, I see the matter against me now it is framed; but if I had served God as diligently as I have done the King He would not have given me over in my gray hairs.
- I am come to leave my bones among you.
- To the abbott of Leicester Abbey, knowing that he was dying.
- Be very, very careful what you put into that head, because you will never, ever get it out.
- Attributed to Cardinal Wolsey by columnist George Will, a line that he says was "uttered about Henry VIII", as quoted in William A. Henry In Defense of Elitism (Anchor Books, 1995), p. 45.