The Wolf Man (1941 film)
1941 film by George Waggner
Night monster with the blood lust of a savage beast!taglines
- Even a man who is pure in heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms
And the autumn moon is bright.
Sir John TalbotEdit
- All astronomers are amateurs. When it comes to the heavens, there's only one professional.
- You policemen are always in such a hurry. As if dead men didn't have all eternity.
- Doctor Lloyd: I believe a man lost in the mazes of his own mind may imagine that he's anything.
- Frank Andrews: [to Gwen about Larry] There's something very tragic about that man... and I'm sure that nothing but harm will come to you through him.
- Col. Montford: [showing Larry's stick to him] Is this your walking stick?
- Larry: Why, yes. That's the stick I killed the wolf with.
- [Sir John Talbot and Col. Montford look at Larry with great concern]
- Sir John: Larry, Bela the gypsy was killed last night. Your walking stick was found next to the body.
- Larry: You mean, Bela the fortune teller? But... I only saw a wolf.
- Maleva: You killed the wolf.
- Larry: Well, there's no crime in that is there?
- Maleva: The wolf was Bela.
- Larry: You think I don't know the difference between a wolf and a man?
- Maleva: Bela turned into a wolf and you killed him. A werewolf can only be killed by a silver bullet, or a silver knife... [looks down at Larry's walking stick] ...or a stick with a silver handle.
- Larry: You're insane! I tell you, I killed a wolf! A PLAIN, ORDINARY WOLF!
- Maleva: Whoever is bitten by a werewolf and lives becomes a werewolf himself.
- Larry: Ah, don't hand me that. You're just wasting your time.
- Maleva: The wolf bit you, didn't he?
- Larry: Yeah. Yeah, he did!
- Larry: Don't try to make me believe that I killed a man when I know that I killed a wolf!
- Doctor Lloyd: Yes, yes. We're all a little bit confused.
- Sir John: Yes, that’s the sign of the werewolf.
- Larry: That’s just a legend though, isn’t it?
- Sir John: Yes, but like most legends, it must have some basis in fact. It’s probably an ancient explanation of the dual personality in each of us. How does it go? “Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and Autumn moon is bright.”
- Larry: You wouldn't wanna run away with a murderer wouldja?
- Gwen: Oh Larry, you're not. You know you're not.
- Larry: I killed Bela. I killed Richardson. If I stay here any longer, you can't tell who'll be next.
- Sir John: You can't run away.
- Larry: That's it! That's what she said.
- Sir John: Who?
- Larry: The gypsy woman.
- Sir John: Gypsy woman? Now we're getting down to it. She's been filling your mind with this gibberish. This talk of werewolves and pentagrams. You're not a child Larry, you're a grown man and you believe in the superstitions of a Gypsy woman!
- Maleva: For a thousand years we Gypsies have buried our dead like that. I couldn't break the custom even if I wanted to.
- Rev. Norman: Fighting against superstition is as hard as fighting against Satan himself.
- Maleva: You are not frightened, are you, Sir John?
- Sir John: Frightened, of what?
- Maleva: Of the night.
- Sir John: Rubbish. You startled me.
- Maleva: Don't be startled, Sir John. You have the silver cane for protection.
- Sir John: Who are you?
- Maleva: Hasn't your son told you?
- Sir John: You're the gypsy that's been filling his mind with this werewolf nonsense!
- Col. Montford: [after shooting at the Wolf Man] I could've sworn I hit him dead on.
- Frank: And I to.
- Doctor Lloyd: [Grins] Have you forgotten it takes a silver bullet to kill a werewolf?
- Maleva: The way you walked was thorny, through no fault of your own, but as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea, so tears run to a predestined end. Your suffering is over, Bela my son. Now you will find peace.
- Col. Montford: The wolf must have attacked her and Larry came to the rescue. I'm sorry Sir John.
- Gwen: [Crying] Larry!
- Night monster with the blood lust of a savage beast!
- His hideous howl a dirge of death!
- Lon Chaney - Larry Talbot / The Wolf Man
- Claude Rains - Sir John Talbot
- Warren William - Dr. Lloyd
- Ralph Bellamy - Colonel Montford
- Patric Knowles - Frank Andrews
- Bela Lugosi - Bela
- Maria Ouspenskaya - Maleva
- Evelyn Ankers - Gwen Conliffe
- J.M. Kerrigan - Charles Conliffe
- Fay Helm - Jenny Williams
- Forrester Harvey - Twiddle