The Witcher (TV series)
The Witcher (2019-present) is a Netflix television series, based on the series of fantasy novels and short stories by Andrzej Sapkowski, which also inspired a popular series of video games. Henry Cavill stars as Geralt of Rivia, a mutated human with enhanced abilities that enable him to fight monsters in a medieval continent also populated by elves, dwarves and gnomes.
The series premiered on Netflix on December 20, 2019; the second season was released on December 17, 2021. A third season has been approved, though a release date has not yet been set.
The End's Beginning [1.01]Edit
- Renfri: More and more, I find monsters wherever I go.
- Geralt of Rivia: A reclusive sorcerer who uses an alias and hires a young girl to procure him a witcher. You don't want my monster. You want me to kill yours.
- Geralt of Rivia: Wizards are all the same. You talk nonsense while making wise and meaningful faces.
- Stregobor: Have you ever heard of the Curse of the Black Sun? First full eclipse in 1,200 years. It marked the imminent return of Lilit, demon goddess of the night sent to exterminate the human race. According to the wise mage Eltibald, Lilit's path was to be prepared by 60 women wearing gold crowns who'd fill the river valleys with blood.
- Geralt of Rivia: Hm. Doesn't rhyme. All good predictions rhyme.
- Geralt of Rivia: Evil is evil, Stregobor. Lesser, greater, middling... it's all the same. I'm not judging you. I haven't only done good in my life either. But now, if I have to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.
- Queen Calanthe: If we must do this now, here's your first lesson. As in life, it is impossible always to be fully prepared for battle. Keep your sword close, and keep moving.
- Renfri: People call you a monster too.
- Geralt of Rivia: A mutant.
- Renfri: What if they come after you? Attack you?
- Geralt of Rivia: They have.
- Renfri: Why not kill them?
- Geralt of Rivia: Because then... I am what they say I am.
- Queen Calanthe: Lesson number two: know when it's time to stop moving.
- Queen Calanthe: In the face of the inevitable, Cirilla, good leaders should always choose mercy. In the future, you will be wise to do the same.
- Renfri: The girl in the woods will be with you always. She's your destiny.
Four Marks [1.02]Edit
- Jaskier: I love the way you just... sit in the corner and brood.
- Jaskier: Come on, you must have some review for me. Three words or less.
- Geralt: (after long pause) They don't exist.
- Jaskier: What don't exist?
- Geralt: The monsters in your song.
- Yennefer: You should've let me die. At least I had control over that.
- Tissaia de Vries: Oh that's adorable, piglet. You weren't taking control. You were losing it.
- Tissaia de Vries: Chaos is the most dangerous thing in this world. It's all around us all the time. Volatile and powerful. But... each one of you showed an aptitude for channeling it. Your conduit moment created a new ripple in chaos, reaching me here in Aretuza.
- Tissaia de Vries: Magic is organizing chaos. And while oceans of mystery remain, we have deduced that this requires two things. Balance and control. Without them, chaos will kill you.
- Tissaia de Vries: There is no conjuring something from nothing. There is a give and there is a take.
- Tissaia de Vries: Sometimes a flower is just a flower. And the best thing it can do for us is to die.
- Jaskier: Do you mind if I hop up there? It's just that I'm not wearing the right footwear.
- Geralt of Rivia: Don't touch Roach.
- Jaskier: Geralt? Geralt? Wh-Where are you going? Geralt, don't leave me. Hello? What are we looking for again?
- Geralt of Rivia: Blessed silence.
- Geralt of Rivia: Sometimes there's monsters, sometimes there's money. Rarely both. That's the life.
- Tissaia de Vries: You take weeks to lift your stone. You can't bend water. You struggle to perform the simplest physical tasks. And now you lie to me? Your worst fear makes such sense. Even if you were a beauty, still no one would love you.
- Tissaia de Vries: What you did there was pathetic and dangerous.
- Yennefer: Felt pretty powerful to me.
- Tissaia de Vries: There are mages like Sabrina who ignore their emotions. And then there are mages like us who are consumed by them.
- Yennefer: Like us...
- Jaskier: This is the part where we escape.
- Geralt of Rivia: This is the part where they will kill us.
- Geralt of Rivia: Chaos is the same as it's always been. Humans just adapted better.
- Filavandrel: You think this is about pride? My elders worked with humans and got robbed of all they had. And when they fought back, they were slaughtered. "The Great Cleansing", humans call it. I call it digging a mass grave for everyone I loved.
- Filavandrel: I was once Filavandrel of the Silver Towers. Now I'm Filavandrel of the Edge of the World.
- Geralt of Rivia: If you must kill me... I am ready. But the Sylvan's right. Don't call me human.
- Geralt of Rivia: That's not how it happened. Where's your newfound respect?
- Jaskier: Respect doesn't make history.
- Jaskier [singing]: Toss a coin to your Witcher, O Valley of Plenty
Betrayer Moon [1.03]Edit
- King Foltest: (after Geralt hands him Renfri's brooch) What is this?
- Geralt: For the Princess. If I can lift the curse.
- King Foltest: You're giving me this because you do not expect to see morning.
- Geralt: This isn't my first time trying to save a princess who others see as a monster.
- King Foltest: What happened to that princess?
- Geralt: I killed her.
- King Foltest: I did try to resist, at first, with Adda. We both did. For all it brightens, love casts long shadows. I envy you. To live and never have to fall in love.
- [The striga enters the chamber where Ostrit is bound.]
- Ostrit: [whimpering] Please forgive me. It was Foltest. It was his fault. I loved your mother...
Of Banquets, Bastards, and Burials [1.04]Edit
- Calanthe: Perhaps our esteemed guest can entertain us with how he slayed the elves at the edge of the world?
- Geralt: There was no slaying. I had my arse kicked by a ragged band of elves. I was about to have my throat cut, when Filavandrel let me go.
- Young Nobleman: But the song!
- Jaskier: [through clenched teeth] Yeah, the song.
- Geralt: At least when Filavandrel's blade kissed my throat I didn't shit myself, which is all I can hope for you good lords. [raises his tankard] At your final breath, a shitless death. [takes a drink; sotto voce] But I doubt it.
- Geralt: (After saving Duny who insists that Geralt be rewarded) Fine. I claim the tradition as you have. The Law of Surprise. Give me what you have but do not know.
- Calanthe: (horrified) No! What have you done witcher?
- Geralt: Fear not your majesty. If I'm seen in your kingdom again it will be to kill a real monster, not lay claim to a new crop or a new pup. Destiny can go fu- (Interrupted by :Pavetta vomiting) Fuck.
- Mousesack: I'm gonna stay. Guide her.
- Geralt: You're a good man, Mousesack.
- Mousesack: You should stay too.
- Geralt: This has been enough partying for me. I'm getting out of here. Alone.
- Mousesack: You're bound to this now Geralt, whether you like it or not.
- Geralt: I'm not for changing. You know me better than that.
- Mousesack: Yes I do. But you can't outrun destiny just because you're terrified of it. It's coming Geralt. Not believing won't change that.
- Geralt: Bullshit. This was just a girl using her magic to stop her mother from gutting her lover. Nothing more.
- Mousesack: So you say. But the bond that will be come into being between you and this child, when it is born, will be extraordinary. If you dismiss it, leave without claiming this child surprise, you will surely unleash true calamity upon us all.
- Geralt: I'll take that chance.
Bottled Appetites [1.05]Edit
- Geralt: (Casting a net into a lake) I'm not fishing. I can't sleep.
- Jaskier: Right. Good. Well, that makes sense, so much that it sort of doesn't. What's going on Geralt? Talk to me.
- Geralt: (Pauses briefly) A Djinn.
- Jaskier: A what?
- Geralt: I'm looking for a Djinn.
- Jaskier: For a Djinn? Like a Genie? The floaty fellows with the bad tempers and the banned magics that sort of Genie? (Laughing)
- Geralt: Yes, it'll grant me wishes. It's in this lake somewhere and I CAN'T FUCKING SLEEP!
- Geralt: Did you sing to her when she left you?
- Jaskier: I did, actually, and she... why? What are you implying? (Geralt stares back) Oh, we are so having this conversation. Come on, Geralt. Tell me. Be honest. How's my singing?
- Geralt: It's like ordering a pie and finding it has no filling.
- Jaskier: (visibly taken aback) You... need a nap!
- Yennefer of Vengerberg: I've never been shy a day in my life.
- Geralt of Rivia: That's cheating.
- Yennefer of Vengerberg: Nobody smart plays fair.
- Jaskier: Are you perhaps short of a marble?!
- Jaskier: (looks in the window and sees Geralt and Yennefer making love) They're alive! (pause) They're really alive.
Rare Species [1.06]Edit
- Borch: Those Dwarves will be partnered on.
- Dwarf Companion: Bar man!
- Jaskier: Geralt can handle them in his sleep.
- Yarpin: Fucking right! (running up and jumping on the counter) HE SAID HE WANTS 4 FUCKING PINTS! Now!
- Jaskier: Or, maybe a little bit awake.
Before a Fall [1.07]Edit
- Queen Calanthe: And if I win the war but lose Ciri, what victory is that?
- Geralt of Rivia: Maybe that army won't come, and if they do, maybe you'll be ready. But if you have any doubt in your mind that she's safe here, give her to me. Call it destiny, security, what larger forces at work, I don't care. I will take her, protect her, and bring her back unharmed, I promise you that.
- Queen Calanthe: Queen to all of Cintra, grandmother to one.
- Eist: Well, you weren't there. After Pavetta died, Calanthe would wake up howling in the night. The Lioness, nearly broken. Someone who's able to pull themselves out of that, they'll have my confidence till my final day.
Much More [1.08]Edit
- Geralt of Rivia: People linked by destiny will always find each other.
A Grain of Truth [2.01]Edit
- Geralt: You going to tell me what happened to you?
- Nivellen: That's a tale requiring wine. What of you?
- Geralt: That's a tale requiring a wine cellar.
- Ciri: Those people you killed, you didn't mean to.
- Nivellen: Sometimes, I think I'm still just a man. But mostly, I know what I really am.
- Ciri: I watched my entire home burn to the ground at the hands of another. My family trapped inside. You don't seem like a monster to me.
- Nivellen: I appreciate that, my dear. Monsters are more than just horrid looks and claws and teeth. Monsters are born of deeds done. Unforgivable ones.
- Geralt: Fear is an illness. If you catch it and leave it untreated, it can consume you.
- Ciri: How do you treat it?
- Geralt: You face it. Facing your fear is not easy. But I am here for you. I won't let anything happen to you.
- Ciri: Are you a monster?
- Vereena: Are you a monster because you are different?
- Ciri: Monsters do bad things to people.
- Vereena: Humans do bad things to everybody.
Turn Your Back [2.05]Edit
- Jaskier: Who the fuck was that?
- Yennefer: How should I know? You're the one he kidnapped.
- Jaskier: Oh what, you mages don't all share an alma mater? You didn't catch him at an alumni event?
- Yennefer: You know, I was looking forward to at least a few more thank yous and perhaps some genuflection.
- Jaskier: He's after Geralt.
- Yennefer: What? Why? What does he want with him?
- Jaskier: Oh you know, I assumed it was to drink tea and eat crumpets and wax nostalgia over old times. I don't know Yennifer, so why don't you conjure up a portal or do your mind talking and warn him? You owe him that.
- Yennefer: I owe him as much as he owes me, nothing more, nothing less. Anyway, I can't. No magic, remember? (sighing) Fuck!
- Jaskier: You don't get to play the damsel in distress. That's my job.
Voleth Meir [2.07]Edit
- Jaskier: Good sir, you would not know talent if I shoved it up your... Geralt.
- (uncomfortable silence)
- Jaskier: ...Fuck it.
- (they hug)
- Geralt: I've missed you, too.
- [Meeting Yarpen after he threw an axe at Geralt's and Jaskier's location]
- Geralt: Yarpen Zigrin. Your aim's gone to shit.
- Yarpen: Well if it isn't the white fucking wolf and the big fucking mouth! (Both shake hands and turns to comrades) Put your weapons down! Numpty arseholes. This is an old friend.
- Jaskier: Friends, plural. Julian Alfred Pankratz, Viscount de-
- Yarpen: Yeah! I know! (Takes axe back from Jaskier)
- Geralt: I thought ignoring Ciri's existence would make everything better. I was wrong.
- Jaskier: And what about Yennefer?
- Geralt: If she's hurt Ciri, I may just have to kill her.
- Jaskier: Oh no well, obviously we'll kill her. We'll definitely going to kill her, I just haven't found a good enough jabbing stick yet. But what if she's changed too? Look, people do stupid things when they think they're trapped in a corner, Geralt. And they say stupid things. That's what friends do. They come back.
- Geralt: This is different. And I'm sorry, Jaskier.
- Jaskier: Oh you are so emotional! I mean, it's just yap, yap, yap with you sometimes. (mocking Geralt) "Oh, Jaskier, I'm so sad and complicated!"
- Geralt: Shut up, Jaskier.
- Jaskier: You shut up. That's a perfect impression of you, by the way.
- Jaskier: (to himself) "Right the wrongs"?! Well Yennefer, I don't see how things could get any wronger!
- Ciri: Everytime I think I move forward, there's this force bringing me back into darkness. I'm just tired, Geralt.
- Geralt: I'm tired too, Ciri. But what of it? Life goes on. Us three, we'll help each other. What is destined cannot be avoided.
- Yennefer: And it shouldn't be.
- Henry Cavill - Geralt of Rivia
- Freya Allan - Ciri
- Anya Chalotra - Yennefer of Vengerberg
- MyAnna Buring - Tissaia de Vries
- Anna Shafer - Triss Merigold
- Joey Batey - Jaskier
- Jodhi May - Queen Calanthe
- Lars Mikkelsen - Stregobor
- Eamon Farren - Cahir
- Adam Levy - Mousesack
- Jeremy Crawford - Yarpen Zigrin