1973 film by George Roy Hill
...all it takes is a little Confidence.
- No sense being a grifter if its the same as bein' a citizen.
- Sorry I'm late, guys, I was takin' a crap.
- [to Gondorff] Not only are you a cheat, you're a gutless cheat as well.
- [Repeated line] You follow?
FBI Agent PolkEdit
- [to Snyder] Sit down and shut up, will ya? Try not to live up to all my expectations.
- Luther: How much did you lose?
- Hooker: [winces] All of it.
- Luther: In one damn night? What are you spraying money around like that for? You could've been nailed.
- Hooker: I checked the place first. There were no dicks in there.
- Luther: But you're a con man! And you blew it like a pimp!
- Henry: [drunk] Glad to meet you, kid - you're a real horse's ass.
- Hooker: Luther said I could learn from you. I already know how to drink.
- Hooker: Listen, Gondorff! Am I gonna learn the big con or not?
- Henry: What's your hurry?
- Hooker: I want to play for Lonnegan.
- Henry: You know anything about the guy?
- Hooker: Yeah! He croaked Luther! Anything else I gotta know? [after he calms down] All right. He runs a numbers racket on the south side. He owns a packing house. A few banks.
- Henry: Yeah, and half the politicians in New York and Chicago. Not a fix in this world is gonna cool him out if he blows on you.
- Hooker: I'll get him anyway.
- Henry: Why?
- Hooker: 'Cause I don't know enough about killin' to kill him.
- Henry: You can't do it alone, you know. It takes a mob of guys like you and enough money to make them look good.
- Hooker: I know plenty of guys.
- Henry: It's not like playing winos in the street. You can't outrun Lonnegan.
- Hooker: I never played for no winos.
- Henry: You gotta keep his con even after you take his money. He can't know you took him.
- Hooker: You're scared of him.
- Henry: Right down to my socks, buster! You're talkin' about a guy who'd kill a grifter over a chunk of money that wouldn't support him for two days!
- Henry: Tough luck, Lonnehan. But that's what you get for playing with your head up your ass!
- Doyle: The name's Lonnegan, DOYLE Lonnegan! You're gonna remember that, Mr. Shaw, or you're gonna get yourself another game.
- Floyd: Doyle, I KNOW I gave him four THREES. He had to make a SWITCH. We can't let him get away with that.
- Doyle: What was I supposed to do - call him for cheating better than me, in front of the others?
- Hooker: I gave him the breakdown, just like you said.
- Henry: And?
- Hooker: It's good. He threatened to kill me.
- Henry: Hell, kid, they don't do that, you know you're not getting to 'em.
- Kid Twist: Now how do you want to work this? Flat rate or percentage?
- Benny Garfield: Who's the mark?
- Kid: Doyle Lonnegan.
- Benny: [short pause] Flat rate.
- Billie: Who told you this guy was in here?
- Lt. Snyder: Nobody, I just know what kind of woman he likes. Going to check all the joy houses till I find him.
- Billie: Oh, well maybe I could help you, if you tell me his name.
- Lt. Snyder: I doubt it. Which way are the rooms?
- Billie: Right through there. But I wouldn't go in there if I were you.
- Lt. Snyder: What you are going to do, call the cops?
- Billie: I don't have to. You'd be busting in on the Chief of Police just up the hall.
- Hooker: [watching Lonnegan] He's not as tough as he thinks.
- Henry: Neither are we.
- Henry: Is Lonnegan after you too?
- Hooker: I don't know. I ain't seen anybody.
- Henry: You never do, kid.
- Hooker: I, ah...thought you might wanna come out for a while. Maybe have a drink or somethin'.
- Loretta: You move right along, don't ya.
- Hooker: I don't mean nothin' by it. I just don't know many regular girls, that's all.
- Loretta: And you expect me to come out, just like that.
- Hooker: If I expected somethin', I wouldn't be still standin' out here in the hall.
- Loretta: I don't even know you.
- Hooker: You know me. I'm just like you. It's two in the morning and I don't know nobody.
- Doyle: I put it all on Lucky Dan- half a million dollars to win.
- Kid: To win? I said place! "Place it on Lucky D-" That horse is gonna run second!
- Doyle: [runs horrified to the betting booth] There's been a mistake! I want my money back!
- Henry: You beat him, kid.
- Hooker: You were right, Henry. It's not enough... But it's close.
- Henry: You're not gonna stick around for your share?
- Hooker: Nah, I'd only blow it.
- Robert Redford — Johnny "Kelly" Hooker
- Paul Newman — Henry "Shaw" Gondorff
- Robert Shaw — Doyle Lonnegan
- Charles Durning — Lieutenant William Snyder
- Ray Walston — J.J. Singleton
- Eileen Brennan — Billie
- Harold Gould — Kid Twist
- John Heffernan — Eddie Niles
- Dana Elcar — FBI Agent Polk
- Jack Kehoe — Erie Kid
- Dimitra Arliss — Loretta Salino
- Robert Earl Jones — Luther Coleman
- Charles Dierkop — Floyd
- James J. Sloyan — Mottola