The Savages (film)
2007 film by Tamara Jenkins
- Directed and written by Tamara Jenkins.
- We don't have to go after him, Wendy; we're not in a Sam Shepard play.
- We're not in therapy now—we're in real life.
- Maybe Dad didn't abandon us. Maybe he just forgot who we were.
- [watching a silent movie; a woman walks onscreen] See, she's making me my dinner!
- [watching a movie] That son of a bitch was always picking on me.
- Jimmy: Are you married?
- Wendy Savage: No... but my boyfriend is.
- Wendy Savage: Dad has been writing on the walls with his shit!
- Jon Savage: [half asleep] Wen, what the fuck are you talking about?
- Wendy Savage: Are you Simone?
- Simone: I am.
- Wendy Savage: I'm Lenny Savage's daughter in B26. He has a big red pillow; it's missing.
- Simone: Did he have his name on it?
- Wendy Savage: And his room number.
- Simone: What's it look like?
- Wendy Savage: Big. Red. Pillow.
- Jon Savage: Dad's not the one that has a problem with the Valley View. There's nothing wrong with Dad's situation. Dad's situation is fine. He's never gonna adjust to it if we keep yanking him outta there. And, actually, this upward mobility fixation of yours, it's counterproductive and, frankly, pretty selfish. Because it's not about Dad, it's about you and your guilt. That's what these places prey upon.
- Wendy Savage: I happen to think it's nicer here.
- Jon Savage: Of course you do, because you are the consumer they want to target. You are the guilty demographic. The landscaping, the neighborhoods of care; they're not for the residents, they're for the relatives. People like you and me who don't want to admit to what's really going on here.
- Wendy Savage: Which is what, Jon?
- Jon Savage: People are dying, Wendy! Right inside that beautiful building right now, it's a fucking horror show! And all this wellness propaganda and the landscaping, it's just there to obscure the miserable fact that people die! And death is gaseous and gruesome and it's filled with shit and piss and rotten stink!
- Jon Savage: [about his girlfriend] She's moving back to Poland.
- Wendy Savage: What, you and Kasia broke up?
- Jon Savage: No, her visa expired.
- Wendy Savage: So that's it? Her visa expires, and it's over.
- Jon Savage: It's either that or we get married and no one's ready for that.