The Robe (film)
1953 film by Henry Koster
The Greatest Story of Love, Faith, and Overwhelming Spectacle! (taglines)
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Emperor Tiberius: Tell me, what was your impression of Pilate?
- Marcellus Gallio: It's not my place to...
- Emperor Tiberius: I'm asking you. Did you find him capable?
- Marcellus Gallio: Yes sire, he's considered a good administrator.
- Emperor Tiberius: Stern, as befits a Roman governor?
- Marcellus Gallio: I'm sure of that, sire.
- Emperor Tiberius: Just?
- Marcellus Gallio: I - I can't say.
- Emperor Tiberius: Why not? Surely you can give me some sort of an answer? Tell me, tribune - what happened out there
- Diana: It's good to see you, Marcellus.
- Marcellus Gallio: It's ah - good to see you - again.
- Diana: Then you do remember me?
- Marcellus Gallio: Ah - yes, of course. Let me see now, it was the - was the...
- Diana: And your promise, have you forgotten that too?
- Marcellus Gallio: What promise?
- Diana: To marry me.
- Marcellus Gallio: Was I drunk?
- 'Diana: That's not very flattering, Marcellus.
- Marcellus Gallio: Oh, I - I mean, if you'd tell me when I was supposed to have said this - the circumstances...
- Diana: Oh, I remember them perfectly. I'd cut my finger, and I cried. And then you took the dagger and cut your own finger to show that it didn't really hurt, and then you kissed me, and I stopped crying - and then you promised to marry me when we grew up.
- Marcellus Gallio: Dianna! Where have your freckles gone?
- Diana: I lost them.
- Marcellus Gallio: Oh, I loved every one of them.
- Diana: Then I'm sorry I lost them.
- Diana: [Marcellus has just been sentenced to execution; Diana leaves the podium to stand at his side] Sire, Marcellus is my chosen husband. I wish to go with him.
- Caligula: Stand back! You're not on trial! There's no evidence against you!
- Diana: Then if it please you, sire, I'll provide evidence. I have no wish to live another hour in an empire ruled by *you*! You dare to call yourself a Caesar. Once the Caesars of Rome were noble, but in you, noble blood has turned to poison. You corrupt Rome with your spite and malice.
- Caligula: Stop! Stop it!
- Diana: That *you* should be Caesar, vicious, treacherous, drunk with power, an evil, insane monster posing as emperor.
- Caligula: STOP IT!
- Diana: As for me, I have found another king. I want to go with my husband into his kingdom.
- Caligula: Then, by the gods, you shall! Go, both of you, into your kingdom!
- The Greatest Story of Love, Faith, and Overwhelming Spectacle!
- The First Picture on the New Miracle Curved Screen !
- No Special Glasses Needed !
- The first motion picture in CinemaScope—the modern miracle you see without glasses!