The Princess and the Frog
The Princess and the Frog is a 2009 animated film from Disney studios. It follows the story of Tiana and Prince Naveen, who have directly and indirectly been turned into frogs by the Shadow Man, Dr. Facilier. The movie was released to theaters on December 11, 2009.
- [wishing on the Evening Star] Please, please, please.
- Goodnight Cal's, good morning Duke's.
- There is no way I am kissing a frog and eating a bug on the same day.
- My daddy never did get what he wanted. But he had what he needed. He had love! He never lost sight of what was really important. And neither will I!
- My dream wouldn't be complete... without you in it. I love you, Naveen.
- [to Naveen, after the wedding] You just kissed yourself a princess!
- Come - we pucker.
- You are secretly funny.
- [repeated line] Achidanza...
- [repeated line] Faldi faldonza!
- [after dancing with Lawrence and sending him careening head-first into a tuba] You're finally getting into the music! Do you get my joke? Because your head, it is in the tuba!
- If I can mince, you can dance.
- [while dancing with Lawrence] For someone who can't see his feet, you're very light on them!
- [when the pastor, about to marry Lawrence and Charlotte, asks if anyone objects] ME! ME! I OBJECT!
Charlotte (Lottie) LaBouffEdit
- Cheese and crackers!
- I was beginning to think wishing on stars was just for babies and crazy people...
- I never get anything I wish for!
- Ohh, NAVEE-EEN!!!
Dr. Facilier (The Shadow Man)Edit
- Gentlemen! Enchanté. A tip of the hat from Dr. Facilier. How y'all doin'?
- Were I a bettin' man - and I'm not, I stay away from games of chance - I'd wager I'm in the company of visiting royalty!
- [singing] Don't you disrespect me, little man! Don't you derogate or deride! You're in my world now, not your world; and I got friends on the other side...
- [singing] I got voodoo, I got hoodoo, I got things I ain't even tried!
- [singing; to Lawrence] On you, little man, I don't wanna waste much time; you've been pushed around all your life. You've been pushed around by your mother and your sister and your brother, and when you're married, you'd be pushed around by your wife! But in your future, that now I see... is exactly the man you always wanted to be!
- C'mon, boys, won't you shake a poor sinner's hand?
- [after Lawrence almost destroys his talisman] CAREFUL WITH THAT! IF ANYTHING HAPPENS TO THIS, I'M GONNA BE--! [sighs and regains composure] Fun fact about voodoo, Larry: [puts on the talisman and gestures as nothing happens] Can't conjure a thing for myself. Besides, you and I both know the real power in this world ain't magic. It's money! Buckets of it.
- [During an audience with the Loa he serves] Friends, I know I'm in hock pretty deep to y'all already, but it seems our little froggy prince... lost his way. And I need your generous assistance in gettin' him back. [The Loa scowl angrily. Facilier laughs] Ha-HA! I hear ya! Now, what's in it for y'all? Well, as soon as I DISPOSE of Big Daddy LeBouff, and I'M running this town, I'll have the entire city of New Orleans... in the palm of my hand. And you'll have all the wayward souls your dark little hearts desire. [Blows. Pink vapor flows up in the form of screeching human souls, which the Loa eagerly sniff up.] Y'all love that, don't ya? So... we got ourselves a deal? [The Loa glance with each other. The chief opens his jaws, releasing a horde of demonic shadows.] HA HA HA! NOW WE'RE COOKIN'! We're gonna find ourselves a frog! Search EVERYWHERE! The bayou, the Quarter! Bring him to me alive. I need his heart PUMPIN'... for now. Allez! Tout de suite! (Come on! Immediately!) [laughs]
- [when Tiana is about to destroy his talisman] Easy with that ! Careful !… [when his magical shadow picks the talisman up before it breaks up] Hahahahaha! Y'all should have taken my deal. Now you'll spend the rest of your life being a slimy little frog.
- [after Tiana eventually smashes the talisman on the ground] No! NO!! [gasps] Now how am I ever gonna pay back my debt?! [as the Loa spirits appear, claiming property of his soul] FRIENDS...! [they ask him "Are you ready"] No! I'm not ready at all! In fact, I got lots more plans! This is just a minor setback in a major operation! Soon as I whip another spell, we'll be back in business! I've still got that frog-prince locked away. I just need a little more time! [as the giant Voodoo mask tries to drag him to Hell] No. No please, no! Just a little more time! I promise I'll pay y'all back! I PROMISE! [screams as he is pulled into the "Other Side". In his place, appears a tombstone with his screaming face carved on it]
- A bug gotta do what a bug gotta do!
- Don't make me light my butt!
- First rule o' da bayou: Never take direction from a gator.
- Hey, Cousin Randy! You ready for a little bayou zydeco?!
- Women like a man with a big, back porch!
- [after hearing Naveen is in love with Tiana] Ya'll gonna have the cutest lil tad-poles!
- [after Tiana says she thinks she needs to work harder to achieve her restaraunt] One more time! [clapping and singing] It don't matter what you look like. It don't... nobody gonna sing with Ray... okay.
- [after magically fighting off Dr. Facilier's shadow minions] Not bad for a 197-year-old blind lady! ...Now, which one of you naughty children been messing with the Shadow Man? [Louis nervously points at Naveen, who grins sheepishly]
- It's gonna be good!
- [singing; to Naveen] Prince Froggy is a rich little boy. You wanna be rich again? That ain't gonna make you happy now; did it make you happy then? NO!
- JuJu! Why didn't you tell me my gumbo was burnin'?
- YOU AIN'T GOT THE SENSE YOU WAS BORN WITH!!! Y'all want to be human, but you're BLIND to what you NEED!
- Hush up and look at the gumbo!
- Like I told y'all, kissing a princess breaks the spell.
- [to young Charlotte] All right, now, princess, you're gettin' that dress, but that's it. No more Mr. Pushover. [pulls a puppy out of nowhere] Now who wants a puppy?
- Ah, Senator Johnson! Hey, Jimmy. I hope you're leavin' some of them beignets for your constituents.
- You girls, stop tormentin' that poor little kitty! Poor little thing...
- [to Tiana] I want some grandkids!
- How degrading! I've never been so humiliated!
- [to Dr. Facilier, about the blood talisman to make him look like Naveen] You wear this... this ghastly thing!
- I found a stick!!!!!!!!
- You sure this is the right blind-voodoo-lady-who-lives-in-a-boat-in-a-tree-in-the-bayou?
- Alligator: You can hop, but you can't hide!
- Friends on the other side [singing] Are you ready?!
- [First lines]
- Eudora: [reading "The Frog Prince" to young Tiana and Charlotte] Just at that moment, the ugly little frog looked up with his sad, round eyes and pleaded, "Oh, please, dear princess, only a kiss from you can break this terrible spell that was inflicted on me by a wicked witch."
- Young Charlotte: [whispering] Here comes my favorite part!
- Eudora: [still reading] And the beautiful princess was so moved by his desperate plea that she stooped down, picked up the slippery creature, leaned forward, raised him to her lips, and kissed that little frog!
- Young Charlotte: Aww!
- [A disgusted Tiana gags.]
- Eudora: [continues reading] Then, the frog was transformed into a handsome prince! They were married and lived happily ever after! The end.
- Young Charlotte: Yay! Read it again! Read it again!
- Eudora: Sorry, Charlotte, it's time for us to be headin' home. Say goodnight, Tiana.
- Big Daddy: Evenin', Eudora.
- Young Charlotte: Daddy, Daddy! Look at my new dress! Isn't it pretty?
- Big Daddy: Look at you! Why, I'd expect nothin' less from the finest seamstress in New Orleans!
- James: Mmm. Gumbo smells good, Tiana.
- Young Tiana: I think it's done, Daddy.
- James: Yeah. Are you sure?
- Young Tiana: Mm-hmm.
- James: Absolutely positive?
- Young Tiana: Yes.
- James: OK. I'm about to put this spoon in my...
- Young Tiana: [yanks the spoon out of her dad's hand] Wait! [adds some hot sauce to the gumbo, then tastes it] Done. [feeds the gumbo to James]
- James: Hmm.
- Young Tiana: What?
- James: Well, sweetheart, this is the... best gumbo I've ever tasted! Come here! Eudora, our little girl's got a gift!
- Eudora: I coulda told you that.
- James: A gift this special just gotta be shared.
- James: You know the thing about good food? It brings folks together from all walks of life. It warms them right up and it puts little smiles on their faces, and when I open up my own restaurant, I tell you, people are gonna line up from miles around just to get a taste of my food!
- Young Tiana: Our food.
- James: That's right, baby. [writes "Tiana's Place" on the paper] Our food.
- Georgia: We all goin' out dancin' tonight. Care to join us?
- Male Customers: Yeah, c'mon, Tiana, live a little. It's Mardi Gras.
- Tiana: No, I got two left feet. Besides, I'm gonna... [to a rather messy kid] Need a napkin, sweetheart? I'm gonna work a double shift tonight. [serving pancakes to a male customer] Here're your hotcakes. You know, so I...
- Georgia: You can save for your restaurant. I know, I know. Girl! All you ever do is work!
- Buford: Are you talkin' 'bout that dang restaurant again?
- Tiana: Buford, your eggs are burnin'.
- Buford: You ain't never gonna get enough for the down payment.
- Tiana: I'm gettin' close.
- Buford: Yeah. How close?
- Tiana: Where my flapjacks?
- Buford: [laughing] You got about as much chance of gettin' that restaurant as I do of winnin' the Kentucky Derby.
- Tiana: Mornin', Mr. La Bouff.
- Big Daddy: Good mornin', Tiana.
- Tiana: Congratulations on bein' voted king of the Mardi Gras parade.
- Big Daddy: Caught me completely by surprise... for the fifth year in a row! Now, how about I celebrate with...
- Tiana: Beignets? Got me a fresh batch just waitin' for you.
- Big Daddy: Well, keep 'em comin' 'til I pass out!
- Dr. Facilier: [singing; to Naveen] Now you, young man, are from across the sea; you come from two long lines of royalty! [aside] I'm a royal myself, on my mother's side! Your lifestyle's high, but your funds are low: you need to marry a little honey whose daddy got dough! [talking] Mom and Dad cut you off, huh, pretty boy?
- Naveen: Eh, sad but true.
- Dr. Facilier: Now y'all gotta get hitched, but hitchin' ties ya down! You just wanna be free - hop from place to place! But freedom takes green... [snickers evilly and sings] It's the green, it's the green, it's the green you need... and when I look into your future, it's the green that I see!
- [At the costume party, Charlotte is anxiously waiting for Naveen and warding off the advances of a young man named Travis]
- Travis: But Miss Charlotte, you said "later" two hours ago!
- Charlotte: [exasperated] Travis! When a woman says "later", she really means "not ever"! Now, run along. There are plenty of young fillies dyin' for you to waltz them into a stupor. [After a disappointed Travis walks away, Charlotte rushes over to Tiana's table and grabs as many napkins as she can] GIMME THEM NAPKINS! QUICK!
- Tiana: [confused] What on Earth for?
- Charlotte: [stuffs the napkins inside the sleeves and neckline of her dress] I swear I am sweatin' like a sinner in church!
- [Tiana has refused Dr. Facilier's deal and tries to smash the charm on the ground, but fails when Facilier's shadow grabs it and gives it back to Dr. Facilier, who then turns Tiana back into a frog]
- Dr. Facilier: Y'all shoulda taken ma deal. [pins Tiana down with his cane] Now, you're gonna spend the rest o' your life bein' a slimy little frog! [laughs]
- Tiana: [grins] I got news for you, Shadow Man. It's not slime, it's mucus! [grabs the charm with her tongue, and when Dr. Facilier gasps, Tiana smashes it on the ground.]
- Dr. Facilier: No! NO!! [picks up the remains and gasps in horror as colorful lights flicker around him. Tiana hides] How am I ever gonna pay back my debt?! [Three masks break out of some gravestones, chanting]
- Masks: Bom, bom, bom, bom, bom, bom, bom, bom, bom, bom, bom...
- Dr. Facilier: [smiling nervously] Friends...!
- Masks: [smiling evilly] ...bom, bom, bom, bom. Are you reeeeady?
- Dr. Facilier: No! I'm not ready at all! In fact, I got lots more plans!
- Shrunken heads: Are you reeeeady?
- Dr. Facilier: This is just a... minor setback in a major operation, right? [Voodoo dolls burst out of the ground, carrying drumsticks. Facilier shrieks] Soon, as I whip up another spell, we'll be back in business! I've still got that froggy prince locked away. [backs up against a tombstone with his shadow hiding behind him] I just need a little more time! [The tombstone transforms into a huge, demonic mask. Facilier squeals] No, no. Please, no! [a demon grabs his shadow and starts to pull him toward the mask's mouth. Facilier yelps in surprise] Just a little more time! [The demons chant and bang on drums] I promise I'll pay y'all back! I PROMISE! [screams in fear when he ends up being pulled into the mask's mouth along with the other demons. The mouth shuts. The smoke clears revealing the tombstone with his screaming face above FACILIER which is engraved on it]
- Lawrence: Sire! I've been looking for you everywhere!
- Naveen: Oh, what a coincidence, Lawrence! I've been avoiding you everywhere!
- Lawrence: We're going to be late for the masqu...
- Naveen: Listen, Lawrence! Listen! Oh! [cut to various jazz musicians] Jazz! Jazz music! It was born here! It's beautiful, no?
- Lawrence: No!
- Mama Odie: Good to see you again, Ray. How's your Grandma?
- Ray: Oh, she's fine. She got in a little trouble for flashin' the neighbors again.
- Mama Odie: [Laughs warmly] I like that old gal's spunk!
- Ray: [meeting Tiana and Naveen] Y'all must be new around here.
- Naveen: Actually, we are from a place, [chuckles lightly] far, far away from this world.
- Ray: Go to bed! Y'all from Shreveport?
- Charlotte: Who'da thought a prince had a younger brother? How old did you say you were?
- Prince Ralphie: I'm six-and-a-half.
- Charlotte: Well, I waited this long!
About The Princess and the FrogEdit
- A few years ago, Pixar had explored a version of The Frog Prince set in gangland Chicago. John Lasseter wanted to switch the locale to New Orleans, a city he loves, but the project was eventually shelved. Meanwhile Disney had explored various versions of The Frog Prince going all the way back to the time of Beauty and the Beast. In 2006, Disney bought the rights to a book called The Frog Princess, which was the fairy tale with a twist: when the Princess kissed the frog, she turned into a frog as well.
When John Lasseter was put in charge of Disney animation in February 2006, he asked John and me to take a look at all the previous versions and come up with our own. We combined the New Orleans setting with the twist, added some new characters and pitched a take that became the basis for the movie.
- We also did a lot of research in New Orleans itself. We went to the Jazz Fest, toured the French Quarter and the Garden District, spent a day with a Voodoo priestess and toured the bayou with a Cajun tour guide. We also got to ride a float during Mardi Gras. All of this stuff found its way into the movie.
- Mama Odie was based on Ava Kay Jones, an ordained Voodoo Priestess who we met with in New Orleans. She told us that even though magic is part of the Voodoo religion, when people come to someone like her for help, she advises them to never use magic to solve their problems. That almost always backfires. Rather they should look inside themselves for the answers. Dr. Facilier was based on the New Orleans "Bokor". People who've broken away from the religion, made pacts with dark Voodoo spirits, and sell their magic for money. In terms of scariness, I think Facilier was handled similarly to our other villains like Ursula, Jafar, and Hades. We like scary stuff, but don't want to go too far. Some people thought Facilier was too scary.
- In earlier versions of our story, Mama Odie gave our heroine some gris-gris, herbal charms that got "energized" in the climax. We wound up rewriting that as our gris-gris felt like a bit of a deus ex machina. We do think of Facilier and his shadows as scary and were not trying to soft-pedal that. Some of his scariness we thought of as "funhouse" scary and not slasher film scary.
- Anika Noni Rose — Tiana (voice)
- Bruno Campos — Prince Naveen of Maldonia (voice)
- Jennifer Cody — Charlotte La Bouff (voice)
- Keith David — Dr. Facilier (voice)
- Jenifer Lewis — Mama Odie (voice)
- Jim Cummings — Ray the Firefly (voice)
- Michael-Leon Wooley — Louis the Alligator (voice)
- Peter Bartlett — Lawrence (voice)
- John Goodman — Eli "Big Daddy" La Bouff (voice)
- Oprah Winfrey — Eudora (voice)
- Terrence Howard — James (voice)
- Shane R. Williamson — Prince Ralphie/Naveen's little brother (voice)
- Kellie Hoover- Stella (voice)