The Plague Dogs (film)
- Directed by Martin Rosen.
- (looking into a pool of water) Look. Rowf, look! Everything's so still in there. If I was in there, covered over, my head would be cool. Things would keep still.
- (lying on the floor exhausted, having been revived from being drowned) I can't do it. I'll... I'll fight. I'll tear their.. white coats! Damn white coats!
- (while exploring the laboratory) There must be some reason, mustn't there? It must do some sort of good.
- I'm The Tod. Tod, y'know? Canniest tod on moss an' moor.
- Yer lookin' for me? The way yer runnin' I thought your arse was a'fire.
- (Snitter manages to escape his pen in the laboratory and goes to free Rowf from his)
- Rowf: (exhausted) I can't stand water any more. When I shut my eyes... water comes again.
- Snitter: How will you get out? Do you drink it? Or does the sun dry it up? Or what?
- Rowf: I don't know. I hate it, Snitter. The water's terrible.
- Snitter: (pawing at bottom of the pen door) The wire's loose here, Rowf. Along the bottom. If I put my nose under it I might be able to get through. (begins nosing at the wire)
- Rowf: Why do they do it, Snitter? I'm not a bad dog.
- Snitter: (pushing himself through the gap under the wire) I don't think they do it because they think you're bad, Rowf.
- (a dog in a nearby pen howls loudly and mournfully, increasing in volume)
- Rowf: (irritated) Do you think you're the only one who hates this damn place?!
- (Rowf leaps forward and pushes the unlatched pen door open, to his surprise. Frightened, he backs up into his pen)
- Snitter: Rowf! Now I remember. That's why I came - the door of your pen's unfastened! We can go through it, Rowf!
- Rowf: They'd only bring us back.
- Snitter: We can do it! We can get out of here!
- Rowf: (apprehensive) It's... it's safe in here.
- Snitter: I don't mean out of your kennel! I mean out of here - the whole place! We can do it!
(after Rowf and Snitter try to herd sheep)
- Don (sheepdog): What the 'ell art thou playin' at? Art thou stark bloody mad or what?
- Snitter: We just need a master.
- Don: Just need a master? Of all the...! Art thou out of thy minds? Chasin' yows up and down fell! Snappin' and bitin'! Where's thy farm at? Where's thy master? Thou's nipped yon yow too, thou bastard. It's bleedin'!
- Rowf: Lay off. You don't own this place!
- Don: Don't own it? Then I'd like to know who bloody does! Ey, Wag, 'e says we don't own fell 'ere.
- Wag (sheepdog): Bloody cheek! What they reckon they're up to then?
- Rowf: What are you up to then?
- Don: Gatherin', ya daft sod! Seekin' wooled sheep o' course! And then 'e comes down like bloody bulls and spoils our farmer's good work?
- Wag: Aye, they'll be tourists. (gestures to Snitter) Thee, wi' yon patch on the 'ead - where's the master at?
- (Rowf and Snitter come across The Tod)
- Rowf: Stay where you are! I mean it!
- The Tod: Away now kidder... no need for you an' me to start battlin'. Wher'd ya get that crack on the head, bonny lad?
- Snitter: The road was black and white and then the truck came and... lightning shot down my head... it is a dog, isn't it?
- Rowf: He's a thief!
- The Tod: Now give over! Let's all be mates! No need for a barney. Stick wi' me and we'll all be champion... else you'll soon be dead.
- Snitter: Dead?
- The Tod: Aye. Dead. An' no arguement about it.
- Rowf: We're not about to die...
- The Tod: No? Why, hinny, you've got no chance at all. I've been watchin' ye the last two days - you'll not last! Hollerin' yer heads off, racin' about the fell...
- (Rowf and Snitter swim out into the ocean to escape being shot by gunmen, seemingly towards an island)
- Rowf: Is it far, Snitter?
- Snitter: Not very far, old Rowf.
- Rowf: I can't see anything in front of us.
- Snitter: (sounding exhausted) I'm getting tired. Can't seem to... move my legs... anymore.
- Rowf: (also beginning to tire) Keep going. Try!
- Snitter: Can't... swim anymore... Rowf.
- Rowf: We must be near the island!
- Snitter: There... isn't any island, Rowf.
- Rowf: There is. There... can't you see it? Our island! (begins to swim ahead) Just stay with me. I'll get you there.