The Mark of Zorro (1940 film)
1940 American adventure film directed by Rouben Mamoulian
- Directed by Rouben Mamoulian. Written by Garrett Fort and Bess Meredyth, based on The Curse of Capistrano by Johnston McCulley.
Ride With Zorro . . . The Dashing Don Of California's Most Adventurous Era! (taglines)
Captain Esteban PasqualeEdit
- Conditions have changed since you left, Don Diego. Your father resigned. Age, you know! Since then, the peons have become um... more industrious. As to the caballeros. they're encouraged to think of their own affairs. WE take care of the government!
- Inez Quintero: [after Lolita expresses an interest in love] You have the blood of the Hidalgos in your veins! Keep it cool, my girl, or I'll whisk you off into a convent!
- Captain Esteban Pasquale: His Excellency will never forgive me if I let you go without a word of welcome from him. I'm quite sure that you'll save me a reprimand.
- Don Diego Vega: How could I refuse a man anything with a naked sword in his hand?
- Don Luis B. Quintero: My dear Esteban is forever thrusting at this and at that. He used to be a fencing instructor in Barcelona.
- Don Diego Vega: How exhausting.
- Captain Esteban Pasquale: I didn't find it so.
- Don Diego Vega: Then why did you give it up?
- Captain Esteban Pasquale: I had the misfortune to kill a man of influence.
- Don Luis B. Quintero: A lady was involved, I believe.
- Don Diego Vega: The gentleman's wife, no doubt?
- Captain Esteban Pasquale: Just how did you mean that, Señor?
- Don Diego Vega: I had hoped to be amusing... Have I failed?
- Captain Esteban Pasquale: Somewhat. With me.
- Don Diego Vega: [explaining why he's late to dinner] They heated the water from my bath too early. It was positively tepid! By the time more was carried and properly scented... Life can be trying, don't you think?
- Don Luis B. Quintero: Yes. [laughs]
- Lolita Quintero: [Disappointed in Diego] Oh, Maria!
- Maria de Lopez: Courage, courage!
- Don Luis B. Quintero: Well, shall we dine? Come, Diego.
- Captain Esteban Pasquale: [to Inez] His bath was tepid? Poor Lolita! I'm afraid her married life will be the same!
- Don Diego Vega: [as Esteban repeatedly stabs a piece of fruit with a knife at the dinner table] Captain, you seem to regard that fruit as an enemy.
- Captain Esteban Pasquale: A rival!
- Don Diego Vega: I must please ask you to change the subject. His Excellency objects to talk of throat-cutting.
- Captain Esteban Pasquale: Quiet, you Popinjay! I have no reason to letting you live either.
- Don Diego Vega: What a pleasant coincidence. I feel exactly the same way about you Capitan.
- Captain Esteban Pasquale: You wouldn't care to translate that feeling into action would you?
- Don Diego Vega: I might be tempted. If I had a weapon.
- Captain Esteban Pasquale: Would you.
- Don Luis B. Quintero: [introducing Inez] My wife, senor.
- Don Diego Vega: Your Excellency is a very fortunate man.
- Don Luis B. Quintero: I'm not so sure. She thinks pesos grow on mulberry trees.
- Don Diego Vega: [speaking to his father] I went directly from the ship to our old home. I met Senor Quintero and his charming wife. I found them very pleasant and agreeable.
- Fray Felipe: Pleasant scorpions! Agreeable rattlesnakes!
- Fray Felipe: To think that the boy that I helped to raise, the boy that I taught to hold a firm wrist behind a true point, has turned into a puppy! Bah!
- Don Diego Vega: Well! Tsk, tsk, tsk! How vexatious!
- Inez Quintero: Oh, Diego, when may we expect you and our dear little Lolita in Madrid?
- Don Diego Vega: Not for some time I'm afraid. We're going to follow the customs of California.
- Inez Quintero: What do you mean?
- Don Diego Vega: Well, we're going to marry and raise fat children and watch our vineyards grow.
- Ride With Zorro . . . The Dashing Don Of California's Most Adventurous Era!
- The Jagged Mark of His Sword Struck Terror to Every Heart - But One!
- Tyrone Power - Don Diego Vega/Zorro
- Linda Darnell - Lolita Quintero
- Basil Rathbone - Captain Esteban Pasquale
- Gale Sondergaard - Inez Quintero
- Eugene Pallette - Fray Felipe
- J. Edward Bromberg - Don Luis Quintero
- Montagu Love - Don Alejandro Vega
- Janet Beecher - Senora Isabella Vega
- George Regas - Sergeant Gonzales
- Chris-Pin Martin - Turnkey
- Robert Lowery - Rodrigo
- Belle Mitchell - Maria
- John Bleifer - Pedro
- Frank Puglia - Proprietor
- Eugene Borden - Officer of the Day
- Pedro de Cordoba - Don Miguel
- Guy D'Ennery - Don Jose