The Man from Snowy River (1982 film)
1982 Australian Western and drama film
The story of a boy suddenly alone in the world. The men who challenge him. And the girl who helps him become a man. (tagline)
- There are a dozen good brood mares in that mob. I'll be back for them... and for whatever else is mine.
- I'm not hiding beneath the skirts of a bunch of women.
- If I'd wanted your help, mate, I would've asked for it.
- Don't throw effort out to foolishness!
- I haven't had this much feminine attention in years.
- Jim: United in death, the minister said.
- Spur: Superstition.
- Jim: It's a nice thought, Spur.
- Spur: It's a great comfort to widows and fools. There's more to life than death, Jim.
- Harrison: You have a long way to go yet, lad.
- Spur: He's not a lad, brother, he's man. He's a man!
- Curly: I'm studying to be supervisor.
- Jim: Studying to be stupid.
- Jessica: [viewing from horseback, after Jim saves Jessica and they kiss, a change coming in the Aussie mountain weather] It changes so suddenly. One moment it's paradise, the next it's trying to kill you.
- Jim: Yep, that's how it can be up here. If it was easy to get to know it, it would be not challenging. You've got to treat the mountains like a high-spirited horse; never take it for granted.
- Jessica: It's the same with people, too.
- Rosemary: Male company will be a pleasant relief in this hothouse of female emotions.
- Jim: I think they're trying to make a butler out of me.
- Jessica: They're trying to make a lady out of me.
- Jim: Well, they won't have no luck.
- Jessica: Thank you very much!
- Jim: Now hold on, I didn't mean...
- Jessica: I don't suppose they'll have any luck making a gentleman out of you, either.
- [Harrison is threatening to send Jessica away to a ladies' college]
- Jessica: No! I won't go!
- Harrison: [slaps Jessica] You're as deceitful as your mother.
- Frew: [rising in bed with his lever action rifle as Curly advances on Jim with a broken bottle] Curly - lose the bottle! [cocks the lever action rifle as Curly stops and stares] I did it before... and so help me, I'll do it again.
- [Curly drops the bottle]
- Curly: [to Jim] I heard you broke in more than the colt while we were away... Did you have to use your spurs boy?!
- Spur: [hears stones falling behind them] How'd you find this place?
- Clancy: I tracked ya. [laughs] You silly old galah, you leave a trail like a one-legged seed drill.
- Spur: Damn you, Clancy, always sneekin' around, makin' no noise.
- Clancy: I heard noise, I heard voices.
- Spur: Aha, sure sign of old age when you start hearin' things.
- The story of a boy suddenly alone in the world. The men who challenge him. And the girl who helps him become a man.
- Tom Burlinson - Jim Craig
- Sigrid Thornton - Jessica Harrison
- Kirk Douglas - Harrison / Spur
- Terence Donovan - Henry Craig
- Tommy Dysart - Mountain Man
- Bruce Kerr - Man in Street
- David Bradshaw - Banjo Paterson
- Jack Thompson - Clancy
- Tony Bonner - Kane
- June Jago - Mrs. Lorraine Bailey
- Chris Haywood - Curly
- Kristopher Steele - Moss
- Gus Mercurio - Frew
- Howard Eynon - Shorry
- Lorraine Bayly - Rosemary Hume