The Long Goodbye (film)
- [to Joanne] Look at that face. Is that a face for a magazine cover? The profile. You're beautiful, and I love you. I sleep with a lot of women; I make love to you. The single most important person in my life, next to my family. Is that right, Pepe? Huh? [smashes a coke bottle on her face] Get her out of here! [to Marlowe] Now, that's someone I love! And you I don't even like! You got an assignment, cheapie: find my money!
- [on Dr. Verringer to party guests as Verrigner stands before him] You know, this son of a bitch - let me tell you one thing about this bastard. He is the epitome of what's wrong - with this world - he really is actually, 'cause he pretends to cure people. Can you cure people?
- Roger Wade: Do you ever think about suicide, Marlboro?
- Philip Marlowe: Me, I don't believe in it.
- Marty Augustine: Your friend was a murderer and a thief.
- Philip Marlowe: That's a lie. I know he didn't kill her.
- Marty Augustine: Let me tell you something else. It's a minor crime, to kill your wife. The major crime is that he stole my money. Your friend stole my money, and the penalty for that is capital punishment.
- [Augustine has found a $5000 bill in Marlowe's pocket]
- Marty Augustine: What's that?
- Philip Marlowe: A picture of James Madison.
- Marty Augustine: It's a $5000 bill.
- Philip Marlowe: I know.
- Marty Augustine: Where'd you get this?
- Philip Marlowe: A box of crackerjacks, came as a prize.
- Philip Marlowe: Nobody cares but me.
- Terry Lennox: Well that's you, Marlowe. You'll never learn, you're a born loser.
- Philip Marlowe: Yeah, I even lost my cat.
- Philip Marlowe: Excuse me, I don't see any Courry Brand cat food here.
- Supermarket clerk: Some what?
- Philip Marlowe: Some Courry Brand cat...
- Supermarket clerk: Could you spell that?
- Philip Marlowe: Courry Brand, C-O-U-R-R...
- Supermarket clerk: Oh, we're all out of that. Why don't you get this. All this shit is the same anyways.
- Philip Marlowe: You don't happen to have a cat by any chance?
- Supermarket clerk: What do I need a cat for, I've got a girl.
- Philip Marlowe: Ha, ha. He's got a girl, I got a cat.
- Roger Wade: I tell you what we're gonna do, Marlboro. You're gonna take that goddamn J.C. Penney tie off and we're gonna have an old fashioned man to man drinking party.
- Philip Marlowe: Well, that's okay but I'm not taking off the tie.
- Roger Wade: What'll you have?
- Philip Marlowe: What are you drinking?
- Roger Wade: What I'm drinking is called Aquavit.
- Philip Marlowe: I'm drinking what you're drinking.
- Roger Wade: Well God bless you. I like to hear that. People these days go, "Oh, I want a little of this. Oh, and a little of that and a twist of lemon." Balls!
- [Marlowe is being interrogated. Green and Farmer watch from behind the mirror]
- Det. Green: There he is, a real cutie pie.
- Det. Farmer: He's a smartass.
- Det. Green: That's what I meant.
- Det. Farmer: Why don't you learn to say what you mean?
- Det. Green: He's the cutie pie, you're the smartass, you little honky bastard.
- Philip Marlowe: Listen Harry, in case you lose me in traffic, this is the address where I'm going. You look great.
- Harry: Thank you.
- Philip Marlowe: I'd straighten your tie a little bit. Harry, I'm proud to have you following me.
- Det. Green: My, my, you are a pretty asshole.
- Philip Marlowe: Yeah, my mother always tells me that.
- Dr. Verringer: I apologize for this intrusion, Mrs. Wade, but your husband dislikes paying his bills. I'm sorry; in future I must refuse to accept him as a patient.
- Philip Marlowe: Well we don't accept you as a doctor, quack.
- Nothing says goodbye like a bullet.
- I have two friends in the world. One is a cat. The other is a murderer.