The Last Man on Earth (1964 film)
1964 science fiction horror film
- Directed by Ubaldo Ragona. Written by Furio Monetti, Ubaldo Ragona, Willaim Reischester, and Richard Matheson
Do you dare to imagine what it would be like to be... the last man on earth... or the last woman? (taglines)
- Another day to live through. Better get started.
- December 1965. Is that all it has been since I inherited the world? Only three years. Seems like a hundred million.
- There was a time that eating was pleasurable. Now it bores me.
- A dying world. An empty, dead, silent world.
- I can't afford the luxury of anger. Anger can make me vulnerable. It can destroy my reason and reason's the only advantage I have over them.
- [filling up a bag with stakes] How many more of these will I have to make before they're all destroyed? They want my blood. It's their lives or mine. I still get squeamish.
- Better put that garlic back where it belongs. I can't live a heartbeat away from hell and forget it.
- Another day... another day to start all over again.
- This is Robert Morgan. If somebody can hear me, answer me. For God's sake, answer me!
- Your new society sounds charming.
- Freaks! All of you, freaks! Mutations! I'm a man! The last... man...
- Kathy Morgan: Mommy, where are you? Mommy, I can't see.
- Ben Cortman: Morgan! Do you hear, Morgan? Morgan, come out!
- Virginia Morgan: [after becoming a vampire] Let... me... in.
- Ben Cortman: There are stories being told, Bob.
- Robert Morgan: By people who are out of their minds with fear.
- Ben Cortman: Maybe. But there are too many to be just coincidental. Stories about people who have died and have come back.
- Robert Morgan: They're stories, Ben, stories.
- Ben Cortman: You're whistling past the graveyard.
- Robert Morgan: Is that a commentary on my work at the lab?
- Ben Cortman: Who is it?
- Robert Morgan: It's me, Ben! We're late!
- [Ben answers the door]
- Robert Morgan: Ben, what's the matter with you?
- Ben Cortman: Nothing and I'm going to keep it that way.
- Robert Morgan: Ben, look, let's talk about this.
- Ben Cortman: There's nothing to talk about. You think I'm out of my mind. You laughed at me and my theory. You might be one of them.
- Robert Morgan: Ben, look, you're ill. You ought to see a doctor.
- Ben Cortman: No doctors! You take care of your life, I'll take care of mine. Now get away from here. You understand, get away from here!
- Dr. Mercer: You're the only one who wasn't afraid to come here today.
- Robert Morgan: What's going to happen, Dr. Mercer? Is everybody in the world going to die before someone finds the answer?
- Dr. Mercer: No, I don't think so. I don't deny there's some strange evolutionary process going on, but mankind won't be destroyed. The fact that you and I are working here today is evidence of that.
- Ruth Collins: But you lived through all this. Do you know why?
- Robert Morgan: Perhaps I was chosen.
- By night they leave their graves, crawling, shambling, through empty streets, whimpering, pleading, begging for his blood!
- Do you dare to imagine what it would be like to be... the last man on Earth... or the last woman?
- Alive among the lifeless... alone among the crawling creatures of evil that make the night hideous with their inhuman craving!
- Vincent Price as Dr. Robert Morgan
- Franca Bettoia as Ruth Collins, an infected individual
- Emma Danieli as Virginia Morgan, the wife of Robert Morgan
- Giacomo Rossi-Stuart as Ben Cortman
- Umberto Raho as Dr. Mercer
- Christi Courtland as Kathy Morgan
- Antonio Corevi as the Governor
- Ettore Ribotta as the TV Reporter
- Rolando De Rossi
- Carolyn De Fonseca dubbed for Ruth Collins' voice in the English release of the film. She was uncredited.
- Giuseppe Mattei as the leader of the survivors. He was also uncredited.