The Juniper Tree
1990 film by Nietzchka Keene
A Twisted Tale of Witchcraft and Mysticism
- She's got two legs and a nose, she's not a goat.
- Why are you here? You don't belong here.
- He's dead and she's gone, little girl. And we're all that's left. We're all that's left.
- I don't want to see. Even if I could.
- I'll sew my footprints into his coat, and he'll follow me forever.
- Katla: [to Jónas] She must have loved you very much to give you something so fine that you can't show it.
- Jónas: You're a witch, you're a dirty witch.
- Title card:
- Under a juniper-tree the bones sang, scattered and shining.
- We are glad to be scattered, we did little good to each other.
- Under a tree in the cool of the day, with the blessing of sand.
- Forgetting themselves and each other, united
- in the quiet of the desert.
- T. S. Eliot
- Margit: Where did she go?
- Katla: She became ashes and left with the wind.
- Margit: And her sould?
- Katla: Her sould... was tied with the heart of a bird.
- Margit: And the tread will hold forever?
- Katla: Until the bird's heart breaks.
- Jónas: I come here every day so she'll remember me.
- Margit: And if you didn't come, she would forget?
- Jónas: Yes
- Jónas: Don't.
- Katla: Don't what?
- Jónas: Don't do your work on me.
- Jónas: You took two.
- Margit: I only nocked it with my hand.
- Margit: You have to pick a shell first.
- Jónas: Where are you end your sister from?
- Margit: It's not there anymore.
- Jónas: It disappeared?
- Margit: No. There aren't any people there anymore. They are all gone.
- Jónas: Will you ever go back?
- Margit: Katla sais we'll stay here. That we are from here now.
- Jónas: But you can't change where you are from
- Margit: But what if where you are from isn't there anymore?
- Jónas: Then you can be from here, but your sister can't be.
- Margit: Why not?
- Jónas: Because I'm from here and I don't want here to be.
- Margit: But she's my sister and she has to be from the same place as I am.
- Jónas: But I don't want her to be.
- Margit: But she has to be.
- Jónas: No, she can't be. I don't want her to be. No she can't be. I don't want her to be. She can't be. I don't want her to be. No. She can't be. I woun't let her.
- Margit: What's it like beeing married?
- Katla: Do you have someone in mind?
- Margit: No, I just wanted to know.
- Katla: Are you sure you're not thinking of someone?
- Margit: No.
- Katla: When you know, then you'll know why I woun't leave Jóhann. And you will know when you will find out.
- Margit: Jónas, Jónas.
- Jónas: What's the matter?
- Margit: I've seen my mother.
- Jónas: Where
- Margit: By the see, and on the heath. I couldn't remember before. But now I do.
- Jónas: What dose she look like?
- Margit: She's very beautiful.
- Jónas: But how can she be here?
- Margit: Sometimes people return.
- Jónas: Is she a ghost?
- Margit: No, she came to take care of me.
- Margit: [to mother] This is Jónas.
- Margit: [to Jónas] She can't speak. When people are dead they can't speak anymore.
- Katla: You should remember I'm carrying your little brother
- Jónas: He woun't be my brother.
- Katla: Your father is the father. So he will be your brother.
- Björk - Margit
- Bryndis Petra Bragadóttir - Katla
- Valdimar Örn Flygenring - Jóhann
- Guðrún Gísladóttir - Mother
- Geirlaug Sunna Þormar - Jónas