The Island (2005 film)
2005 American science fiction action thriller film directed by Michael Bay
- Just cause people wanna eat the burger doesn't mean they wanna meet the cow.
- You're not real. You're copies of people out here in the world.
- I just want to live. I don't care how.
- You still think there's an Island?
- (while she and Lincoln are kissing) I've finally found The Island, Tom. It's you.
- The Island is real. It’s us
- McCord: (makes a reference to God)
- Lincoln Six-Echo: Who is God?
- McCord: You know when you really want something, you close your eyes and wish for it really hard? God is the guy that ignores you.
- McCord: Man, why do I gotta be the guy tells the kids there's no Santa Claus? OK, look. You're...Well, you're not like me. I mean, you're not... human. I mean, you're human, but you just, you're not real. You're not, like, a real person. Like me. You're clones. You're copies of people out here in the world.
- Merrick: Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the next generation of science. The Agnate, an organic frame engineered directly into adulthood to match the client's age. You're looking at stage one - the development stage. Within 12 months, it'll be harvest-ready, providing a carrier of your baby, second pair of lungs, fresh skin - all genetically indistinguishable from your own and in compliance with the Eugenics Laws of 2015, all our Agnates are maintained in a persistent vegetative state. They never achieve consciousness. They never think or suffer or feel pain, joy, love, hate. It's a product, ladies and gentlemen, in every way that matters. Not Human!
- Dr. Merrick: I have discovered the Holy Grail of science, Mr. Laurent. I give life. The Agnates... they're simply tools, instruments. They have no souls. The possibilities are endless here. In two years' time, I will be able to cure children's leukemia. How many people on Earth can say that, Mr. Laurent?
- Laurent: I guess just you and God. That's the answer you're looking for, isn't it?
- Jordan Two-Delta: (seeing a motorcycle scream down the road) What was that?
- Lincoln Six-Echo: I don't know. (smiles) But I want one.
- Albert Laurent: (showing Merrick his marks) When my father was killed, my brothers and I were branded, so everyone would know we were less than human. I've said and done things I'm not proud of, but sooner or later you realise, killing's a business. So... when did killing become a business for you?
- Dr. Merrick: Oh, no. It's so much more than that. I have discovered the Holy Grail of science. In two years, I can cure children's leukemia. How many people on Earth can say that?
- Albert Laurent: I guess just you and God. But that's the answer you want, isn't it?
- Dr. Merrick: What's troubling, you, Lincoln?
- Lincoln Six-Echo: It - it's just... all right, Tuesday night is tofu night, and I'm asking myself "Who here decided that everyone likes tofu in the first place, and what is tofu anyway?" And why can't I have bacon? I line up every morning, and I'm not allowed any bacon for my breakfast. And - and tell me - let's talk about all the white. Why is everyone wearing white all the time? It's impossible to keep clean, I'm walking around, I get - I always get the gray stripe, I never get any color, and I hand it in to be cleaned, and - and someone cleans it and fold it neatly back in my drawer, but who? Who is that person? I don't know. I just - I wanna know answers and I - and I wish that there was more.
- Dr. Merrick: More?
- Lincoln Six-Echo: Yeah, more than just waiting to go to The Island!
- Lincoln Six-Echo: I think they're going to kill you.
- Jordan Two-Delta: I'm going to The Island.
- Lincoln Six-Echo: Jordan, there *is* no island!
- (Being told they are clones)
- Jordan Two-Delta: Bu- I have a mother! I remember her!
- McCord: Yeah, I know...
- Jordan Two-Delta: I grew up on a farm! I had a little dog a - and I had a bike...
- McCord: A bike, yeah. A pink, fluffy Flyer with little tassels on the handlebars? And you rode it up the street to your Grandmother's house, you'd ring the little bell, she came out and served you cookies on a hot plate?
- Jordan Two-Delta: Yes.
- McCord: No. Memory imprints. I've seen 'em. A buddy of mine is a programmer at the institute, he showed me. There's only, like, twelve stories, they change around little details, but they're all pretty much the same. The life you think you had before the contamination? It never happened.
McCord: ...but there's one universal truth, never trust a women with your credit card...