The Impossible (2012 film)
2012 English-language Spanish film directed by Juan Antonio Bayona
The Impossible is a 2012 film about a family caught, with tens of thousands of strangers, in the mayhem of one of the worst natural catastrophes of our time - the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.
Nothing is more powerful than the human spirit.taglines
- [at the hospital] Lucas, look at this place. They're so busy in here. You get to go and do something. Go help people. You're good at it.
- Henry: [on the plane, flying to Thailand] Did you set the alarm before we left?
- Maria: Yeah, it was the last thing I did.
- Henry: No, I was the last one to leave. I was the last one to leave, and I'm sure I didn't set it.
- Maria: No darling, I was the last one out, and I did. I promise.
- Henry: You sure?
- Maria: Yup.
- Henry: K.
- Henry: [after a long pause] No, no, I was the last one, 'cause I went back in, and that means the alarm is not set, 'cause I didn't set it.
- Maria: [shrugs] Well, um, I guess that means we'll be coming home to a large bunch of hippies sleeping in our bed.
- Henry: [smiles] What, just like your old college days?
- Bellhop: And you, you don't work?
- Maria Bennett: I'm a doctor. I'm not practicing right now. Just taking care of the kids.
- Bellhop: I see, you got promoted.
- Maria: [Watching in horror as the tsunami crashes into the resort] COVER THE BOYS!!!
- Henry: LUCAS!
- Lucas: DAD!!
- Lucas: [Trembling and distraught, after he and Maria have managed to take refuge on a tree in the rushing wave] I thought I was a brave kid, Mum...! I'm scared! [sobbing]
- Maria: [moves closer to embrace Lucas] Shhh! [whispers into his ear] I'm scared, too.
- Lucas: Is it over?
- [Maria is looking around]
- Lucas: Is it over?
- Maria: I don't know! I don't know.
- Maria: [hearing a child cry out] Wait, did you hear that?
- Lucas: Mom, there's nothing we can do.
- Maria: Wait.
- Lucas: We are almost there but we have to get to safety.
- Maria: No, we have to help that boy.
- Lucas: If a wave catches us down here, we will die! We have to climb that tree right now.
- Maria: [Yells] Where are you?
- Lucas: Mom, look at you. We need help! We can't risk it mom. Come on.
- Maria: Listen, what if that boy was Simon or Thomas? What if they needed help? You'd want someone to help them, wouldn't you?
- Lucas: Simon and Thomas are dead!
- Maria: [pause] Even if it's the last thing we do...
- Thomas: I'm scared.
- Henry: I know, I know. I'm scared too but do you know, the most scary bit for me?
- Thomas: When the water hit?
- Henry: No, after that, when I came up and I was all on my own. That was the scariest part. Then I saw the two of you, clinging to that tree, I didn't feel so scared anymore because I knew I wasn't on my own. What if Mommy and Lucas are on their own right now? Hmm? Imagine how scared they'll be.
- Thomas: We'll look for them together.
- Henry: No.
- Thomas: You can't...
- Henry: Thomas, no, you have to look after Simon and I'm gonna keep looking for them. Okay? Okay?
- Maria: [after Lucas makes her eat some fruit] You're so bossy.
- Lucas: I wonder who I take after.
- Old Woman: Some of those stars have been burnt out for a long, long time. They're dead, but once they were so bright that their light is still travelling through space. We can still see them.
- Lucas: How can you tell which one is dead and which one is not?
- Old Woman: No, you can't, it's impossible. It's a beautiful mystery, isn't it?
- Henry: [on a borrowed cell phone] Did you hear from anyone yet?
- Family Member: No, Henry, you're the first to call. Is everybody all right?
- Henry: Maria and Lucas are not here.
- Family Member: What do you, what do you mean they're not there?
- Henry: The water came and swept everyone away, and I found, I found Thomas and Simon... and I don't know what to do. I don't know where to look. [crying] Lots of people need to use the phone okay? I'll call you later.
- Karl: You can't leave it like that. Come on.
- Henry: [calling back] It's me again. Look, I promise you that I won't stop looking until I find them, okay? I don't know what I'm going to do cause it's nighttime now but I'll look in all the hospitals and I look in all the shelters. I will find them I promise you that. I'll call you when I do.
- Nothing is more powerful than the human spirit.
- One family's incredible true story.