The Impossible (2012 film)
2012 English-language Spanish film directed by Juan Antonio Bayona
The Impossible is a 2012 film about a family caught, with tens of thousands of strangers, in the mayhem of one of the worst natural catastrophes of our time - the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.
Nothing is more powerful than the human spirit.
- [at the hospital] Hannah, look at this place. They're so busy in here. You get to go and do something. Go help people. You're good at it.
- Hannah: I'm always a brave kid, Maddy, but I'm scared.
- Maddy: I'm scared too.
- Maddy: [hearing a child cry out] Wait, did you hear that?
- Hannah: Maddy, there's nothing we can do.
- Maddy: Wait.
- Hannah: We are almost there but we have to get to safety.
- Maddy: No, we have to help that boy.
- Hannah: If a wave catches us down here, we will die! We have to climb that tree right now.
- Maddy: [Yells] Where are you?
- Hannah: Maddy, look at you. We need help! We can't risk it Maddy. Come on.
- Hannah: Listen, what if that boy was Justin or Sean? What if they needed help? You'd want someone to help them, wouldn't you?
- Hannah: Justin and Sean are dead!
- Maddy: [pause] Even if it's the last thing we do...
- Sean: I'm scared
- Abi: I know, I know. I'm scared too but do you know, the most scary bit for me?
- Sean: When the water hit?
- Abi: No, after that, when I came up and I was all on my own. That was the scariest part. Then I saw the two of you, clinging to that tree, I didn't feel so scared anymore because I knew I wasn't on my own. What if Maddy and Hannah are on their own right now? Hmm? Imagine how scared they'll be.
- Sean: We'll look for them together.
- Abi: No.
- Sean: You can't...
- Abi: Sean, no, you have to look after Justin and I'm gonna keep looking for them. Okay? Okay?
- ABi: [on a borrowed radio] Did you hear from anyone yet?
- Family Member: No, Abi, you're the first to call. Is everybody all right?
- Abi: Maddy and Hannah are not here.
- Family Member: What do you, what do you mean they're not there?
- Abi: The water came and swept everyone away, and I found, I found Sean and Justin... and I don't know what to do. I don't know where to look. [crying] Lots of people need to use the phone radio? I'll call you later.
- Jared: You can't leave it like that. Come on.
- Abi: [calling back] It's me again. Look, I promise you that I won't stop looking until I find them, okay? I don't know what I'm going to do cause it's nighttime now but I'll look in all the hospitals and I look in all the shelters. I will find them I promise you that. I'll call you when I do.
- Naomi Watts - Maria Bennett
- Ewan McGregor - Henry Bennett
- Tom Holland - Lucas Bennett, the 13-year-old son of Maria and Henry
- Samuel Joslin - Tomas Bennett, the seven-and-a-half-year-old son of Maria and Henry
- Oaklee Pendergast - Simon Bennett, the age of five-year-old son of Maria and Henry
- Sönke Möhring - Karl Schweber