The Handmaid's Tale (TV series)
The Handmaid's Tale (2017-) is an American drama web television series, airing on Hulu, about a dystopian future, where women's rights are obliterated and being anything but straight, or outside of the Christian ideal, is regarded as an abomination. The series was created by Bruce Miller, based on the 1985 novel of the same name by Margaret Atwood.
|This TV article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Offred: I don't need oranges. I just need to scream.
- Offred: I am to make myself clean. Washed and brushed like a prize pig.
- Moira: She does this again and I'm not around, you slap her. Hard.
Birth Day [1.02]Edit
- Offred: Has Ofglen been transferred to a new post so soon?
- Ofglen #2: I am Ofglen.
- Offred: [Voiceover] Fuck.
- Offred: Now I'm awake to the world. I was asleep before. That's how we let it happen. When they slaughtered Congress, we didn't wake up. When they blamed terrorists and suspended the Constitution, we didn't wake up then either. They said it would be temporary. Nothing changes instantaneously. In a gradually heating bathtub, you'd be boiled to death before you knew it.
- Aunt Lydia: Remember your scripture. Blessed are the meek.
- Offred: And blessed are those who suffer for the cause of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.
Nolite Te Bastardes Carborundorum [1.04]Edit
- Offred: There was an Offred before me. She helped me find my way out. She is dead. She is alive. She is me. We are Handmaids. Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum bitches.
- Roughly translates to "Don’t let the bastards grind you down."
- The Commander: We only wanted to make the world better.
- Offred: Better?
- The Commander: Better never means better for everyone. It always means worse for some.
- The Commander: Love isn't real, it was never anything more than lust, with a good marketing campaign!
- Offred: [on Ofglen] They didn't get everything. There was something inside of her that they couldn't take away. She looked invincible.
A Woman's Place [1.06]Edit
The Other Side [1.07]Edit
- Offred: A perfect gift. A girl trapped in a box. She only dances when someone opens the lid, when someone else winds her up. If this is a story I'm telling, I must be telling it to someone. There's always someone, even when there's no one. I will not be that girl in the box.
The Bridge [1.09]Edit
- Offred: It's their fault. They should have never given us uniforms if they didn't want us to be an army.
- Offred: Whether this is my end or a new beginning, I have no way of knowing. I have given myself over into the hands of strangers. I have no choice. It can't be helped. And so I step up, into the darkness within... or else the light.
- June Osborne: Our father who art in Heaven? What the actual fuck?
- Erin: Blessed be the Fruit Loops.
- Moira: [laughing] How long you been holding onto that one?
- Erin: A while.
- Omar: You a good witch or a bad witch?
- June Osborne: Depends on who you ask, I guess.
Other Women [2.04]Edit
First Blood [2.06]Edit
Women's Work [2.08]Edit
- Offred: Blessed be the fruit.
- Janine: May the Force be with you.
Smart Power [2.09]Edit
- [The Waterfords are met by a group of Canadian delegates]
- Fred Waterford: Good morning, Stuart.
- Stuart Williston: We won’t be conducting this morning’s session, Mr. Waterford. You can go directly to the airport. We’ll have your luggage brought down.
- Fred Waterford: I don’t understand.
- Minister Kevin McConnell: [curtly] You and your wife are no longer welcome in Canada.
- Fred Waterford: [confused] Forgive me, is there an issue?
- Stuart Williston: Last night, someone uploaded a series of letters from women in your country, and the public reaction here in Canada has been overwhelming.
- Fred Waterford: Are you really going to cancel an entire agenda based on some anonymous slander?
- Stuart Williston: We believe the women.
- Fred Waterford: [incredulous] Yesterday you believed me.
- Stuart Williston: Our former position is no longer sustainable.
The Last Ceremony [2.10]Edit
The Word [2.13]Edit
- Fred Waterford: Where is she? Do me the courtesy of looking at me when I'm talking to you. WHERE IS SHE? You've killed us all, you realize. When they find out what happened here, we'll all be on the wall. And they will tear you apart.
- June Osborne: She's safe, Serena. Serena, I promise you, she is safe.
- Fred Waterford: Oh, no. She's safe when you tell me where she is. Where is she? I'm trying to save your life.
- Serena Joy Waterford: Did you give her to Ofjoseph?
- June Osborne: I did what was best for her, Serena.
- Serena Joy Waterford: Did you give my baby to Ofjoseph?
- June Osborne: You wanted a better life for her, and that is what a mother does for her child.
- Serena Joy Waterford: You gave her to a murderer! You killed my baby! You've killed my baby. How could you take her away from me?
- June Osborne: Because I have another daughter! And you chased us in the woods, and you hunted us with dogs. And when you pulled her away, she screamed. My baby screamed for her mother! And I hope this feels like that.
[Serena breaks down and cries. June softens and holds her.]
- June Osborne: It's ok. Serena, listen to me. She's going to be ok. She's going to be free.
- Mark Tuello: Commander Waterford, you have now crossed into Canada. [Soldiers loyal to the United States of America emerge] We are arresting you for war crimes and crimes of aggression in violation of international human rights treaties and international law. While you will be held in custody in Canada, you may be transferred to the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court.
- Mark Tuello: Mrs. Waterford.
- Serena Joy Waterford: Mr. Tuello.
- Mark Tuello: [addressing social workers with him] Take the child, please.
- Serena Joy Waterford: What's going on?
- Mark Tuello: Mrs. Waterford, under warrant from the ICC and the government of the United States of America, I am placing you under arrest.
- Serena Joy Waterford: On what grounds?
- Mark Tuello: Crimes against humanity, sexual slavery, the rape of June Osborne.
- Serena Joy Waterford: A religious ritual ordered by the state under penalty of execution! I do have immunity, Mr. Tuello! [to the social workers taking Holly] Please stop one second!
- Mark Tuello: This charge does not involve what you did with your husband. Take the child.
- Serena Joy Waterford: I don't understand! What's going on?!
- Mark Tuello: You forced your driver to impregnate Miss Osborne so you could claim their resulting child.
- Serena Joy Waterford: Nick and Offred had a relationship!
- Mark Tuello: [coldly] It's still rape, Mrs. Waterford.
- Elisabeth Moss - June Osborne / Offred
- Joseph Fiennes - Commander Fred Waterford
- Yvonne Strahovski - Serena Joy Waterford
- Alexis Bledel - Emily / Ofglen / Ofsteven
- Madeline Brewer - Janine / Ofwarren / Ofdaniel
- Ann Dowd - Aunt Lydia
- O. T. Fagbenle - Lucas "Luke" Bankole
- Max Minghella - Nick Blaine
- Samira Wiley - Moira / Ruby
- Amanda Brugel - Rita
- Bradley Whitford - Commander Joseph Lawrence