The Grey (film)
The Grey is a 2011 American thriller and survival film about a number of oil-men stranded in Alaska after a plane crash, who are forced to survive using little more than their wits, as a pack of gray wolves stalk them amidst mercilessly cold weather.
- Directed by Joe Carnahan. Written by Ian MacKenzie Jeffers and Joe Carnahan, based on Jeffer's short story "Ghost Walker".
- A job at the end of the world. A salaried killer for a big petroleum company. I don't know why I did half the things I've done, but I know this is where I belong, surrounded by my own. Ex-cons, fugitives, drifters, assholes. Men unfit for mankind.
- My dad was not without love... but a cliched Irish motherfucker when he wanted to be. Drinker, brawler, all that stuff. Never shed a tear. Saw weakness everywhere. But he had this thing for poems... poetry. Reading them, quoting them. Probably thought it rounded him off, you know. His way of apologizing, I guess. And there was one that hung over the desk in his den. It was only when I was a lot older, I realized he had written it. It was untitled, four lines. I read it at his funeral. "Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day."
- We're going to get a large branch and sharpen the end of it, and we're going to shove it up this thing's ass. Then we're going to eat it.
- I'm going to start beating the shit out of you in the next five seconds.
- Do something. Do something. You phony prick fraudulent motherfucker. Do something! Come on! Prove it! Fuck faith! Earn it! Show me something real! I need it now. Not later. Now! Show me and I'll believe in you until the day I die. I swear. I'm calling on you. I'm calling on you! [receives no response] Fuck it. I'll do it myself.
- There's not a second that goes by when I'm not thinking of you in some way. I want to see your face, feel your hands in mine, feel you against me. But I know that will never be. You left me, and I can't get you back. I move like I imagine the damned do, cursed. And I feel like it's only a matter of time. I don't know why I'm writing this. I don't know what can come of it. I know I can't get you back. I don't know why this has happened to us. I feel like it's me. Bad luck. Poison. And I've stopped doing this world any real good.
- You fuckin' guys with your rules and your orders and bullshit. Where are we? Look around! This is fuck city. Population five and dwindling.
- So this is what its come down to boys? This MacGyver bullshit? Ok, alright, I appreciate a good laugh as much as the next guy.
- Fate didn't give a fuck. Dead is dead.
- It is as cold as this motherfucker's ever been, huh? I ain't shittin' either, man. I stripped down for the showers, and icicles are forming on my nuts. I didn't even think that shit was possible.
- So, you blast critters for a living, huh, and do some of that sniper shit? What's the biggest piece of game you've taken down? Like, a Kodiak, huh? You know, I saw that documentary that asshole did. You know, the fag who loves bears...
- Ottway: Put that back. Put it Back! We're not looting dead bodies for swag.
- Diaz: You got lucky today Ottway. You should be lying there with them. Don't push it.
- Ottway: I'm not going to say it again.
- Diaz: Motherfucker take a big step back!
- Ottway: I'm going to start beating the shit out of you in the next five seconds. And you're going to swallow a lot of blood for a fucking billfold.
- Ottway: [after bitten by a wolf] Maybe I'll turn into a wolfman now.
- Flannery: Wait! That shit's not real, right? I mean you can't.
- Diaz: Asswipe, what do you think? Really.
- Flannery: I don't know, man, maybe like rabies or whatever. I didn't think the motherfucker was gonna grow claws and teeth and shit.
- Ottway: [trying to calm him] It's good. It's good that it hurts.
- Flannery: It's good?
- Ottway: It's good, yeah.
- Flannery: Oh well then I'm fuckin' fabulous.
- Hendrick: Is that it? You're just gonna sit there? Is that what you want?
- Diaz: Yeah.
- Hendrick: After what we survived?
- Diaz: That's exactly why. What I got waiting for me back there? I'm gonna sit on a drill all day. Get drunk all night. That's my life. Turn around and look at that. [motions to the mountains] I feel like that's all for me. How do I beat that. When will it ever be better? I can't explain it.
- Ottway: Listen, listen. You're gonna die. That's what's happening. It's okay.
- Lewenden: No. No. No. No, no, no. Wait, wait, wait. Hold on. Hold on!
- Ottway: It's okay.
- Lewenden: Hold on, hold on, hold on.
- Ottway: It's okay.
- Lewenden: Hold on.
- Ottway: It's okay. It's okay. Look at me. Keep looking at me. It's all right. It's all right. Look at me. Keep looking at me. It's all right. It'll slide over you. It'll start to feel warm. Nice and warm. Let it move over you. It's all right.
- Lewenden: What?
- Ottway: Let your thoughts go. All the good things. All the good things. Yeah? Who do you love? Who do you love, Luke?
- Lewenden: My girl Rosie.
- Ottway: Is she your daughter?
- Lewenden: She's six.
- Ottway: Let her take you, then. Let her take you.