The Expanse (TV series)
The Expanse is an American science fiction television series based on the series of novels by James S. A. Corey. Set in a future where humanity has colonized the Solar System, it follows United Nations executive Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo), police detective Miller (Thomas Jane), and ship's officer Jim Holden (Steven Strait) and his crew as they unravel a conspiracy that threatens peace across the System and the survival of humanity.
Season 1 Edit
Dulcinea [1.01] Edit
- Executive Officer: You know what I just can't figure out? We make it all this way, so far out into the darkness. Why couldn't we have brought more light?
- Joe Miller: [after almost suffocating Vargas] Air is good, don't you think? Air is nice. Keep those filters clean, asshole.
The Big Empty [1.02] Edit
- Jim Holden: Hey, what's the deal with you and Naomi? You two an item or something?
- Amos Burton: An item?
- Jim Holden: Hey, it's none of my business, but -
- Amos Burton: You must think I'm pretty stupid, don't you? I mean, you're right. I can take a core apart and put it back together with my eyes closed. But ask me whether or not I should rip your helmet off and kick you off this bucket, and I couldn't give you a reason why I should or shouldn't. Except Naomi wouldn't like it.
Remember the Cant [1.03] Edit
- Lopez: You were a problem in the Navy. Eight years ago. Aboard the UNN Zheng Fei. You assaulted a superior officer.
- Jim Holden: Not technically, he ducked my punch. I broke my hand on a bulkhead.
- Lopez: You were dishonorably discharged.
- Jim Holden: He ordered me to fire on a Belter ship.
- Lopez: It was a smuggler -
- Jim Holden: Who was smuggling people!
- Lopez: You had no way of knowing that at the time.
- Jim Holden: But I was right! Earth and Mars have been stepping on the necks of the Belters out here for over 100 years and I didn't want to be the boot.
- Lopez: So you decided to switch sides.
- Jim Holden: I stopped playing.
- Anderson Dawes: Give the Martians their water! Milowda na animals. You have every right to be angry. You should be angry. But if we act like animals, we only justify their belief that we are. Gif im fo imalowda xitim. Treat them the way they should treat us.
- Anderson Dawes: How much are they paying you to find her? I'm not judging, I'm just curious to know what your rate is, in case I need you to suit up for a different side.
- Joe Miller: What side would that be?
- Anderson Dawes: An Earth Corp may pay your salary, but you were born here. Lived your whole life on Ceres. I think that under that ridiculous hat there's a Belter yearning to find his way home.
- Joe Miller: Patron saint of lost causes. I'm all choked up.
- Anderson Dawes: Have I answered all your questions, Detective?
- Joe Miller: You haven't answered any of my questions. You took a young, naive, rich girl - with daddy issues -
- Anderson Dawes: - stop -
- Joe Miller: - and got inside her head -
- Anderson Dawes: Stop. Now I'm getting choked up.
- Franklin Degraaf: You know what I love most about Mars? They still dream. We gave up. They're an entire culture dedicated to a common goal, working together as one to turn a lifeless rock into a garden. We had a garden and we paved it.
- Chrisjen Avasarala: They couldn't do any of that without the knowledge of centuries from Earth. Earth must come first.
- Franklin Degraaf: I have no choice about that now. My diplomatic credentials have been revoked. I've been banned from Mars for life. Apparently I'm an alarmist who caused the MCRN to expose classified stealth technology hubs. Craig called the realtor about selling our house this morning.
- Chrisjen Avasarala: We may have stopped a war. For a while, anyway. If you like, we can drink it now.
- Franklin Degraaf: I was looking forward to drinking our wine, watching the sunset over the Mariner Valley. Do you remember You were very young, a couple of us played cards at your house?
- Chrisjen Avasarala: I remember I didn't like to be excluded.
- Franklin Degraaf: Well, you always lurked on the side, quiet, obedient but watching. Finally one night, you demanded to play, and, well, we'd had a few and You were I don't know... [holds up hand] However old that is. We let you in. You didn't take any hands, but you clearly understood the fundamentals. When the deal came to you, you called your game.
- Chrisjen Avasarala: Tennessee Three Finger Hold 'Em.
- Franklin Degraaf: Your father took it very seriously. He asked you how to play. You said, "We each get five cards." You dealt them out, then you pointed to the far end of the yard and you said, - now - "Whoever gets to the tree first, wins." You dropped your cards and were halfway there before anyone else realized what was happening. I've never seen your father more proud. See, here's the thing. I was terrified for you, I didn't know why. And now I do. You will do anything to win. Just like your father. That's what got him killed. I won't play with you, ever again.
CQB [1.04] Edit
- Lopez: Can I ask you a question? Do you miss Earth?
- Holden: If I did, I'd go back.
- Lopez: My great uncle emigrated from Earth. He missed it terribly. He used to tell me stories when I was a little boy about these... endless blue skies, free air everywhere, open water all the way to the horizon. He told me that someday we would make Mars just like that. When you spend your whole life living under a dome, even the idea of an ocean seems impossible to imagine. I could never understand your people. Why, when the universe has bestowed so much upon you, you seem to care so little for it?
- Holden: Wrecking things is what Earthers do best. Martians too, by the look of your ship.
- Lopez: We are nothing like you. The only thing Earthers care about is government handouts. Free food, free water, free drugs so you can forget the aimless lives you lead. You're short-sighted, selfish... and it will destroy you. Earth is over, Mr. Holden. My only hope is that we can bring Mars to life before you destroy that, too.
Back to the Butcher [1.05] Edit
- Naomi: I fix ships, not people!
- Amos: So as far as we know, nobody made it off the Donnie.
- Alex: Correct
- Amos: And no one knows that we are alive.
- Alex: That's right.
- Amos: Then who just sent us a message?
- Holden: Think about it: we're the only survivors of the Canterbury and the Donnager. We look like terrorists. No one's gonna believe our story - I wouldn't believe us...
[Alex and Amos watching a news feed about riots on Ceres, Holden coming up to the bridge]
- Holden: What's up?
- Alex: Hey, huh. I just hooked into a feed from Ganymede and... uh, when you sent that message to Fred Johnson, you didn't give him our names or anything, did you?
- Holden: No, of course not...
- Alex: Well partner, it's gonna be kinda hard for you to stay anonymous now [Stepping aside, revealing the feed from Ganymede with the sign "Remember the Cant" and a stencil of Holden on it]
- Amos: [To Holden] Let me know if you want your face to look a little different...
[The crew attempts to change the transponder code of the Tachi]
- Holden: [To Naomi] You've done this before
- Naomi: Yeah, about once a week...
- Holden: You're doing great.
- Naomi: Transponders are designed not to be tampered with. Civilian models fuse themselves into lumps of molten graphite if they get messed with. We could be a supernova a few seconds from now...
- Holden: Well, we won't have to worry about Tycho, would we?
[Naomi finishing the work]
- Naomi: We need to give the ship a new name to complete the override.
- Alex: Screamin' firehawk
- Holden: [Derisive] Yeah, let's advertise we're a gunship...
- Alex: Flyin' Alamo
- Holden: No!
- Naomi: Give me something, please...
- Holden: Rocinante!
- Alex: Huh?
- Holden: It's spanish for...
- Amos: ...workhorse - I like it. I know a lady named Rocinante, she was good to me.
- Naomi: Whatever - punch it...
[Holden typing "Rocinante" on the panel, Naomi presses the "Initiate" button]
Rock Bottom [1.06] Edit
- Jim Holden: I'm just the messenger, I have half a platoon of pissed-off Martian marines who are just itching for some payback.
- Fred Johnson: Huh. That's a corvette-class Martian frigate that typically crews thirty. I only see two of you. That tells me that you're trying hard to hide your numbers. Tactically, if there were more, as a show of force you would've brought them out. I'm guessing there are two to four people left on your ship. And I'm confident that there's no Martian Navy on board. If they were, they'd be out here speaking with me now. You walked off that ship, because you're in charge. At least you think you are. If I wanted to hurt you, I would have broadcast your transponder and your position to the entire system. Coming here was your only option. But it was also your best option. Now, you want to continue to play games, or shall we talk about how to help each other?
- Joe Miller: You took an innocent kid and you forced her to do your dirty work.
- Anderson Dawes: No! She came to me. Asked me to help her. She knew what she was doing. She was willing to make a sacrifice for us. It's more than you.
- Joe Miller: She trusted you, she put herself in your hands 'cause she couldn't see the blood on 'em. Just like your sister. Isn't that right? Wasn't she like 15 when you let her die out on the Belt? Sure. It's part of the legend you like to leave out.
- Anderson Dawes: Would you like me to tell you the real story?
- Joe Miller: I'm sure you've told so many lies about it you don't even remember what happened.
- Anderson Dawes': My sister Athena was touched by the hand of God. The most beautiful child in all the Belt, the smartest. But she was fragile. Her bones were like chalk from spending a lifetime in zero-g. She was never going to recover. An impossible burden for a dirt-poor family of rock-hoppers. And when she became too ill even to travel? I had three other sisters to think about. Our family was starving.
- Joe Miller: So, you killed her.
- Anderson Dawes: And that makes me a monster. There was no scrip to bury her, so I laid her to rest in a beautiful bauxite tunnel that we discovered together. Do you know it is possible to cry so hard that your tears turn to blood? And living with this pain, I came to realize that I have millions of brothers and sisters in the Belt. I even count you among them. As I did Julie, an Earther.
- Joe Miller: So, everybody dies for the cause, except for you.
- Anderson Dawes: Now I'll tell you the truth about Julie.
- Joe Miller: Just tell me if she's alive.
- Anderson Dawes: If she was here right now, she'd spit in your face. You're everything she despised. A Belter who preys on his own kind. Welwala... Die as you lived.
Windmills [1.07] Edit
Salvage [1.08] Edit
Critical Mass [1.09] Edit
Leviathan Wakes [1.10] Edit
Season 2 Edit
Safe / Doors & Corners [2.01 / 2.02] Edit
- Sutton: I know that you and your team did a rotation on the Donnie. I knew people on that ship too. Captain Yao was a friend. But still, nobody knows what really happened.
- Bobbie Draper: We know those stealths were Earth-built.
- Sutton: So says Fred Johnson, mouthpiece for OPA terrorists. And now Earth is accusing him. We will not be led into war on anyone's leash. I was a private during the Vesta blockade. Half the Earth's fleet was headed to Mars, to annihilate its former colony. If they couldn't have what we built, they were going to pound it back into dust. We went to bed every night thinking that we would wake in nuclear fire. Luckily for everyone, cooler heads prevailed.
- Bobbie Draper: We all grew up with that story.
- Sutton: Because it was a warning. We've managed to avoid a shooting war with Earth up till now. That's our job. To make sure that that war never happens.
- Bobbie Draper: And because of Vesta, we pushed back the terraforming project. Fifty years and 50 more. All those resources to the military. Now, none of us will live to see an atmosphere over Mars.
- Sutton: That was the price.
- Bobbie Draper: But it's still worth fighting for.
- Sadavir Errinwright: We need to talk about Eros. Mars and Earth may be busy pointing guns at each other, but those quarantine beacons won't keep people away from Eros forever. There's already a lot more do-gooders than we expected. Next will be the looters.
- Jules-Pierre Mao: Then get rid of them.
- Sadavir Errinwright: Yes. Of course. I'll sacrifice what's left of my credibility for a few short-term trinkets.
- Jules-Pierre Mao: [chuckles] Sadavir! You're witnessing a discovery that could rewrite the story of humankind, but your imagination takes you as far as putting the boot heel to your former colony. [chuckles] This was Julie's spot. Far from the house, where no one could find her. Where she could find her adventures. She taught herself to shoot a bow and arrow at this tree. Nine years old. Just woke up one morning, and taught herself. My Julie. Even losing her was worth it. She's a sacred part of it now. So don't talk to me about sacrifice ever again.
- Holden: Listen, I hope you understand if I ask you to sit this one out. Close quarters battle can get kinda hairy.
- Miller: What the hell use would I ever be on a ship? Nah, Im going down with the assault team.
- Holden: Have you seen the breaching pod? Its a beer can taped to a rocket. You're not going to like the ride.
- Miller: Fred's trying to land 50 pissed off Belters and seven different OPA factions on that station. I mean, somebody's gotta keep these idiots from shooting each other. Oh, I ain't sitting this one out.
Static [2.03] Edit
Godspeed [2.04] Edit
Home [2.05] Edit
Paradigm Shift [2.06] Edit
The Seventh Man [2.07] Edit
- Dawes: Assistant Director of Operations. You've come a long way since the loading docks on Ceres. Eh, Mali?
- Drummer: You don't get to call me that anymore, Pampaw.
- Dawes: From what people tell me, you're the one really running things around here. We need you back home. It's hard to find good people.
- Drummer: I prefer it here.
- Dawes: This floating tin can? I don't know if it's the aching bones or the constipation I miss more.
- Drummer: You been on Ceres too long, eh? You forget how to be a good rock hopper. You're constipated, you stuck a stone to get thing moving. If it's the other problem, you shove that rock up your ass.
- Dawes: Do you know how old you are?
- Diogo: Nineteen, I think. Earther years.
- Dawes: Even our sense of time comes from them. The time it takes the Earth to spin on its axis... The Earth to go once around the Sun. On Jupiter, you'd be celebrating your first birthday. It's hard to feel we matter out here, isn't it? The distances are so vast. It's hard to believe that we can make a difference.
Pyre [2.08] Edit
- James Holden: Who's in charge of security at this goddamn station?
- Drummer: That would be me.
- James Holden: Interesting.
- Drummer: Say what you mean.
- James Holden: Either you're doing an incredibly shitty job or you're no longer in control of the people who work for you.
- Anderson Dawes: Fred Johnson. We have traveled far together, my beratna, but this is where we must part ways. Ever since I found you, broken, looking for redemption under a Belter knife, I have tried to teach you the Belter way. I have failed. You told us that when you destroyed Protogen, the Earth corp responsible for killing so many of our brothers and sisters on Eros, that you destroyed all its secrets as well. There was nothing left for us to fear. But instead, you preserved what you could of this terrible new weapon, and took it back to Tycho with you, keeping those secrets for yourself, no doubt believing that when the time comes, as it surely must, you and you alone, would decide when to use the weapon to defend the Belt. Now, I believe you have the Belt ere kori. And we have taken to you as a brother. But this? This is the Earther in you still. We do not want to live under anyone's boot, Fred Johnson, asilik towchu! Even a friendly one, afraid that if we disobey, we will have our air cut off, our water rationed, be spaced, or be herded into chambers to be used like animals. This is the way it has been until now. No more. I have stolen your secret, Fred Johnson. And I am giving it to the Belt.
The Weeping Somnambulist [2.09] Edit
Cascade [2.10] Edit
Here There Be Dragons [2.11] Edit
The Monster and the Rocket [2.12] Edit
- Jefferson Errinwright: You okay, Dad?
- Sadavir Errinwright: I never really did tell you that I was sorry that I had to leave your mother. You know, you're at an age now when time is just gonna... You're just going to put your head down and "Whoosh." And all the old farts like me, we're all going to be telling you this is how you do it and this is the path you take. We're all going to be experts on how you should grow up. But there's only one thing that I need to tell you. And it's the simplest thing. But it's the hardest thing to remember. Listen to your heart. No matter what. It'll always be the right call.
- Alex Kamal: When I first saw that thing outside, for a split second I thought I was hallucinating. But after hearing what went down in that lab, now I wish I kinda had been.
- Jim Holden: When the European tall-ships first arrived on the American continent, the natives couldn't see them. The sight was so completely outside of their experience, they just couldn't compute. So they didn't see.
- Alex Kamal: Those natives all got wiped out in the end, didn't they? If that thing out there really is some sort of human-protocrap hybrid, then we're yesterday's model. Obsolete.
Caliban's War [2.13] Edit
Season 3 Edit
Fight or Flight [3.01] Edit
[After an argument in the airlock]
- Alex: We're not done here, but just look at my eyes and tell me the god's honest truth - what were you thinking when Naomi told you what she did? I'm not gonna lie, I didn't know what she was saying 'cause my blood was so hot in my ears...
- Amos: [pondering] She's not the person I thought she was...
[After Avasarala patched up Cotyar]
- Cotyar: Where is our martian tank? [seeing Avasarala holding a gun] So you're in charge of defense?
- Avasarala: Damn right!
- Cotyar: Well, suits you. Errinwright gave the order to kill you, he wants confirmation which he won't get from that guy [looking at a dead officer] - so what's Errinwright's next move?
- Avasarala: He's got people on that escort ship. We have to assume they'll be back...
- Cotyar: So we take control of this boat, haul ass to a safe port where we can broadcast out for help...
- Avasarala: ...unless you have a better bad idea...
- Cotyar: [pondering] No - alright, I'm ready, let's do this! [tries to stand up]
- Avasarala: Wait, let me help you!
- Cotyar: Uaargh
- Avasarala: Hold on, what?
- Cotyar: [letting him fall onto the couch in pain] Maybe I'll just ... uggh ... for a minute...
[The door opens]
- Avasarala: Shit [opens fire on the door]
- Cotyar: Whoah whoah whoah
- Bobbie: [Appearing in the door with her armour, not phased by the shots] Well done madam - this is Theo, he's gonna help us out...
[Theo rips out the communications buffer of Jules-Pierre Maos ship]
- Theo: I've got it! [Giving the box to Avasarala]
- Avasarala: You've done your planet a great service!
- Cotyar: She says that to everyone - let's go!
[Bobbie initiates the release of the "Juice" to help coping with the high G's experienced while accelerating]
- Bobbie: Sit still, you're gonna need it!
- Avasarala: [feeling the "Juice"] Ooh, ooh, get me off this ship!
- Bobbie: Hitch your tits and pucker up, it's time to peel the paint! [accelerating the Razorback away from the exploding ship]
[Alex uses coms to send message to wife and son on mars]
- Alex: Hey ya’ll. This is Alex, your daddy. Well I mean, your husband and your daddy. This feels kind of awkward actually, talking like we all don’t know each other. But I guess it’s…it has been a while. You know, you might not even recognize me little guy. So I should have called you after the Donnager, I know. Well, I guess I’m doing it now right? Better late than never. Sorry. I know you hate when I say that. Look. I just want to make sure ya’ll are safe, with everything that’s been going on right now. I don’t think Earth would ever bomb mars, but people have been acting real crazy lately. So you pay extra special attention to those drills at school, all right cowboy. You listen to what the government and you mama tells you. It’ll keep you safe. I’ve been an awful husband…and a worse father. I know. I’m just trying…I’m just trying to do some good out here. And we have. I have. I think uh…I think this is what I’ve always really wanted to do….more than I wanted to be there with you. I just could never really tell you that…’cause I don’t think I knew myself. But that doesn’t mean that for one second I did not love you, both of you, very, very much.
IFF [3.02] Edit
[The Razorback is trying to get away from the UNN Escort Ship]
- Bobbie: How are you feeling back there?
- Avasarala: Like you were standing on my chest - I'm fine...
- Bobbie: Tunnel vision?
- Avasarala: Yes - I feel like I'm in a goddamn tunnel, look around you...
- Bobbie: Sharp headache?
- Avasarala: Why?
- Bobbie: I'm trying to gauge if you're having a stroke
- Avasarala: What could you do if I were?
- Bobbie: Keep clenching your thighs
- Avasarala: If you're hitting on me, I'm flattered, but I have neither the inclination nor... what does clenching do?
- Bobbie: It keeps your blood moving around rather than pooling up in the back of your legs. Do you like to whistle?
- Avasarala: Don't try to distract me like I were a child...
- Bobbie: It forces you to breathe! Do anything, just don't pass out!
[Two torpedoes exploded to form a cloud which the torpedoes from the UNN Escort Ship impacted, the displays of the Razorback going white for a moment]
- Avasarala: What happened?
- Bobbie: I'm not sure...
[The displays come online again]
- Bobbie: What the hell?
- Avasarala: That's not how those things usually work...
[The Razorback shown from the outside with torpedoes grouped around it]
[After their successful attack on the UNN Escort Ship]
- Alex: It sheared the engines clean off, the rest of the ship's intact. Holy shit, it worked! Right, setting a course for the Razorback
- Naomi: We did it!
- Holden: Yeah, we sure did. We have two torpedoes left, PDC rounds are under 10% - we're in a war with no bullets...
- Alex: We're not the ones at war!
- Holden: We are now - you think the UN's going to give us a free pass for sparing lives? We crippled one of their ships - we just declared war on earth!
Assured Destruction [3.03] Edit
- Avasarala: Whatever happened to the man who risked certain death to stop Eros?
- Holden: He stopped fighting battles he knew he couldn't win!
- Avasarala: This isn't just about the war, we need to contain the protomolecule, make sure it doesn't fall into the wrong hands! [Holden begins to laugh] You think that's funny?
- Holden: Not at all, it's just that I've heard before.
- Avasarala: From whom?
- Holden: Everyone, including me.
- Avasarala: I met your mother, Elise. When everyone else said you were a terrorist I went to find out for myself. Lovely woman. She thought I was full of shit, too, at first. She's well, happy for you, happy you're free. She told me when you were a boy, you wanted to be a knight.
- Holden: That's because I was a boy.
- Avasarala: It's no accident that you're in the midst of all this chaos.
- Holden: I'm nobody's saviour!
[Amos putting on mag boots on Avasarala]
- Avasarala: This is ridiculous! I just want to talk to everyone!
- Amos: If you want to walk around this ship, you have to wear the boots - house rules.
- Avasarala: What? [turning to Bobbie] Do they think I'm just going to float away?
- Bobbie: Don't look at me, this is not my ship...
- Amos: [Grabbing Avasaralas hands] OK, lean your foot back to engage it.
- Avasarala: Lean back, with my weight on my heel?
- Amos: Yes. [Avasarala engaging the boots] There you go. Now you just walk around like you're in pumps.
- Avasarala: How do you know what it's like to walk in pumps?
- Amos: [Dry] I didn't always work in space...
- Avasarala(to Naomi, who's never seen a river): I'd say cry me a river, if I though you could appreciate what one was.
Reload [3.04] Edit
- Bobbie: [coming up to the bridge to see a standoff] Hey fellas, [Pausing] so what's all the ruckus?
- Amos: [coming up to the bridge after the situation is defused, carrying the knocked out martian marine] Shit - did I miss it?
[Holden and Bobbie talking to Ensign Sinopoli after the failed takeover by the martians]
- Ensign Sinopoli: I feel like I'm awaiting sentencing
- Holden: There's someone I need you to meet
- Ensign Sinopoli: [sighing] Why me?
- Bobbie: Your friend with the gun hurt my feelings
- Holden: You seem to be the most reasonable
- Ensign Sinopoli: [taken aback] You're Chrisjen Avasarala
- Avasarala: Yes
- Ensign Sinopoli: The U.N. Deputy Undersecretary
- Avasarala: This is going to be very tedious if you remain this dim
- Ensign Sinopoli: I don't understand, what the hell kind of ship is this?!?
- Avasarala: Right, the tedious version then...
- Avasarala: The only way this can be stopped is out here, away from the politicians
[Ensign Sinopoli seems to be stunned]
- Avasarala: Yes, I'm aware of the irony...
- Ensign Sinopoli: OK, so you want me to go back and tell my CO to hail a UNN Admiral in the middle of a war...
- Avasarala: Yes, exactly! [pauses] Or, Holden here can space the three of you for being such intolerable idiots - honestly, I can go either way...
- Holden: I'd rather do the first one. So far all you've done is wound Alex's pride, which is nothing we can't forgive if you're going to help us...
- Ensign Sinopoli: [pondering] So what is this thing that you want me to show them?
[Avasarala smiling, turning to a screen and putting on Errinwright's threat to Jules-Pierre Mao]
Triple Point [3.05] Edit
- Captain Carrino: [Speaking to Ensign Sinopolo] Thank you, sailor, for coming back to the fight. Though I don't understand how you did it, your command deck was sheared clean off.
- Ensign Sinopolo: We didn't exactly get the KC get in ship-shape ourselves, we had help.
- Captain Carrino: From who?
- Ensign Sinopolo: [Hesitant] James Holden
- Chief Durant: The taker, who blamed us for blowing up the Canterbury and then got the Donnie killed...
- Ensign Sinopolo: The Rocinante ... I mean the Tachi came upon the KC...
- Chief Durant: They just fixed up your boat and sent you on your way...
- Ensign Sinopolo: We tried to take the ship by force, but we were unsuccessful. There was a martian marine on board, Gunnery Sergeant Roberta Draper...
- Chief Durant: The defector
- Ensign Sinopolo: ...as well as UN deputy undersecretary Chrisjen Avasarala, she was there, too.
- Chief Durant: Who else was there? Fucking tooth fairy?
- Captain Carrino: It's a little hard to believe, son.
- Ensign Sinopolo: But she was there...
- Captain Carrino: We have two fleets bearing down on each other - 74 ships, thousands and thousands of lives, and the only thing we're likely to accomplish is annihilating each other.
- 1st Officer: That video doesn't change that...
- Captain Carrino: War is an inherently unstable interaction with three things: Intense emotion, politics and luck. That message is luck. Maybe out here, away from all the politics and bullshit, luck opens the door and lets a couple of grunts figure out how not to fight, for once.
[Standing outside of the research facility on Io, seeing pods being launched into space]
- Holden: They've launched the hybrids...
Immolation [3.06] Edit
[The team is in the facility on Io, Bobbie detects a hybrid and sets off to distract it so the others can get to the children]
- Avasarala: Bobbie, don't be an idiot! These won't bring back your dead marines!
- Bobbie: Ma'am, for the first time in your life, please just shut the fuck up!
[UN Secretary General Sorrento-Gillis showing Errinwright the footage sent by Avasarala to Ana]
- Errinwright: How did you get that?
- Ana: [Hidden from sight until now] Does that matter? Let's call it an act of god...
- Sorrento-Gillis: You're not even gonna deny it?
- Errinwright: I meant every word I said.
- Sorrento-Gillis: You just admitted to treason!
- Errinwright: [To Ana] Was he always like that?
- Ana: Like what?
- Errinwright: Spineless, weak, dignified face with nothing behind it?
- Sorrento-Gillis: You're finished!
- Errinwright: He doesn't care about treason. That's just him parroting you because you talked to him last. If he spoke to a janitor, he'd be passionately declaiming about a fucking mop! It's agonizing! I've lost count of how many times I've stopped him from blundering into political suicide, and now we have a chance to assure the future of the earth, and he's shitting himself because he's afraid the history books won't be flattering enough!
[Prax leading Mae to Amos]
- Prax: This is Amos. He's my best friend in the whole world. He helped me find you. Can you stay with Amos for a minute, OK? I'll be right back, I promise.
- Mei: OK... [To Amos] Hi...
- Amos: Hi.
- Prax: Just need to talk to Dr. Strickland for a minute... [Facing Dr. Strickland]
- Dr. Strickland: I looked out for her, I protected her, even if I could have been shot for it. I saved Mae's life! She would have died without me, right there on Ganymede, but I've been back for her, and I've got her out!
[Prax closing the door to the airlock and pointing his gun at Dr. Strickland]
- Dr. Strickland: Prax, I've known Mae since she was a baby. She loves me, and I love her. Please, I'm begging you, please...
[Amos stopping Prax]
- Amos: [whispering] You're not that guy. You're not that guy.
- Dr. Strickland: Oh, thank you, oh, thank you!
- Amos: [Closing the door again and pointing his gun at Dr. Strickland] I am that guy. [Shoots Dr. Strickland]
[Cotyar sending a message from the Agatha King that he will overload the reactor cooler to blow it up]
- Cotyar: Detonation should occur in ... how the fuck should I know, I'm not an engineer - let's call it "soon"
[Naomi turned the transponders of the pods on so they can be tracked and destroyed]
- Alex: We gotta warn Mars!
- Naomi: Of course we do, but that asshole on the bridge was right - they may not get them all, and it'll only take a few. I think I have a better idea. Jim, Amos!
- Holden: You guys are OK?
- Naomi: Yeah. We couldn't reroute all the pods, but we were able to turn their transponders back on. Mars can target them now, but we're worried that they may not get them all.
- Prax: [In the elevator to the surface] Holden!
- Holden: Go! [To Naomi] And if they don't, they'll blame earth and this war will just go on.
- Naomi: I know. There's a way that we can shoot all the pods down before they reach Mars: Fred Johnson! He has the missiles he stole from earth, he can destroy those pods.
- Holden: You want to send their transponder codes to [Fred Johnson]...
- Naomi: Tycho is near their flight path. He could kill a lot, maybe even all if we're lucky.
- Holden: If he shoots them down before they reach Mars, the attack never happens.
- Naomi: Maybe a path to peace for both sides.
- Holden: If he captures them, we're handing him another weapon!
- Naomi: I want to do this, but we all have to agree, all of us!
- Alex: Alright, I'm in!
- Amos: It's worth a shot...
- Holden: I agree.
[Fred Johnson watching a news feed and gets a message on his communicator]
- Naomi Fred, I think I might have a have a way for the belters to strengthen their position as an equal player in the system and also do some good...
[Tycho being shown deploying the stolen missiles and destroying most of the pods]
Delta-V [3.07] Edit
- Avasarala: My fellow citizens. Our fate as a nation has been sorely tested. But the arrest of the traitor, Errinwright, and the resignation of Secretary-General, Sorrento-Gillis, whom we thank for his service, has given us the opportunity to choose a new future. Many fought for us to get here. Many died. We have lost people we loved, and have suffered. We would be justified to seek vengeance. But instead, we will choose peace We must choose peace. For we have arrived at the dawn of a new era, and are witness to an event unlike anything else in the history of our species. But peace is a fragile thing. So I'm asking you to join me and join hands with our brothers and sisters throughout the system Earth, Mars, and the Belt And dedicate ourselves to being one people with a shared purpose. And as we have always done in the past, we will face the unknown together.
- Monica Stuart: Jules-Pierre Mao's project wreaked havoc throughout the system. The Protomolecule killed so many, brought Earth and Mars to the brink of annihilation, You had a major effect on those events. And that led you to this: the Ring. How does that make you feel?
- Holden: Kind of makes me want a donut.
- Klaes Ashford: Ah, Camina. Long time since the docks on Ceres. You have done well for yourself.
- Drummer: You too. Of course, that always was your main concern.
- Anna: I came here on a spaceship, not the wings of an angel. I'm able to appreciate the difference.
It Reaches Out [3.08] Edit
Intransigence [3.09] Edit
[Alex observed an MCRN probe which disappeared upon exiting the bubble outside of The Ring]
- Alex: It's gone...
- Holden: What do you mean "it's gone"? It went back out of The Ring?
- Alex: No - no, that one looks different. See, the probe maintained the speed limit and then touched the other side of that bubble and then something happened to it, like, uhm, blinked out of existence...
- Holden: Well, we should probably keep away from the edges then...
- Alex: Yeah, that's a good safety tip. [clears his throat] So, we return and the MCRN catches us and we go straight and we're gonna reach the other side of that bubble.
- Holden: We have until then until we figure out another option!
[Alex goes up to the helm, hears Monica screaming and goes to investigate, seeing Amos closing the airlock with Monica and Cohen]
- Alex: Amos, stop! Stop! You can't space them!
- Amos: Yes, I can...
- Alex: This ain't gonna help in here!
- Monica: [screaming] How about he's crazy!
- Amos: You better button up!
- Alex: I thought you said they were helping fix the comms...
- Amos: They don't know how to fix it, I checked...
- Alex: How is this gonna help?
- Amos: Well, I was thinking, since the comms are down, the only way to communicate is in person. Mars isn't looking to arrest them for stealing the ship so ... [Gesturing to Monica] You too, put your lid on! I was just gonna send the camera guy, but with the vac suit gloves on ... you know how when he ... [gestures like the camera man] ... I mean, the man is blind... [opens the outer door to the airlock] It's time to go!
- Alex: [shouting] Hey, wait! Make sure you tell them we didn't blow up the Sang Youn! Tell them what really happened, please!
[Holden realizes they have to surrender to the MCRN and contemplates, about to leave his quarters]
- Miller: What are you slowing down for? You're doing fine...
- Holden: Where the hell have you been?!?
- Miller: Ah, gonna get to the crime scene, gonna check out the clues...
- Holden: No! No more crime stories! I wanna know exactly what you know!
- Miller: "Oh, so you want to talk about the non-local quantum hologram, the phase-conjugate adaptive waves resonating in micro-tubules in the brain, which of course require some closed timeline curves and Lorentzian manifold, and…You catch up, I’ll wait"
- Holden: So, crime scene...
- Miller: Crime scene! We gotta go! Come on, to the station, to the nucleus...
- Holden: That, that thing in the middle of the place that grabbed the ship and the torpedoes...
- Miller: [gesturing that Holden is right] I gotta case to solve and you want the truth...
- Holden: You seem different...
- Miller: Well, my signal's pretty good inside the ring, it's uh, it's [really] good - you're coming or not?
[At the end, Holden is seen detaching from the Rocinante in a vac suit to get to the structure in the middle of the bubble]