The Chase (1966 film)
The Chase is a 1966 American drama film about a series of events set into motion by a prison break. Since one of the two escapees is Charlie "Bubber" Reeves (played by a then-unknown Robert Redford), the escape causes a stir in a nearby town where Bubber is a well-known figure.
- Directed by Arthur Penn. Written by Lillian Hellman, based on the 1956 novel and 1962 play by Horton Foote.
- The best thing about turning over a new leaf on Saturday night is that it disappears with a Sunday morning hangover.
- Shoot a man for sleeping with someone's wife? That's silly. Half the town'd be wiped out.
- Damon Fuller: Well now, Sheriff. It's nice to know that you're out here on patrol.
- Sheriff Calder: No, no. I'm not on patrol. Just looking for an ice cream cone, that's all.
- Lem Brewster: The taxes in this town pay your salary to protect the place.
- Sheriff Calder: Well, if anything happens to you, Lem, we'll give you a refund.
- Val Rogers: Bubber, let Jake walk forward. And if he's all right, I'll give you my car and see that you get out of here without anyone bothering you.
- Bubber Reeves: He can do that?
- Jake Rogers: Yeah. He can do that.
- Bubber Reeves: Huh! What a world.
- Bubber Reeves: Lester, I'm in trouble.
- Lester Johnson: When you ain't been?
- The chase is on!
- A breathless explosive story of today!
- Marlon Brando - Sheriff Calder
- Jane Fonda - Anna Reeves
- Robert Redford - Charlie "Bubber" Reeves
- E. G. Marshal - Val Rogers
- Angie Dickinson - Ruby Calder
- Janice Rule - Emily Stewart
- Miriam Hopkins - Mrs. Reeves
- Martha Hyer - Mary Fuller
- Richard Bradford - Damon Fuller
- Robert Duvall - Edwin Stewart
- James Fox - Jason "Jake" Rogers
- Diana Hyland - Elizabeth Rogers
- Paul Williams - Seymour
- Clifton James - Lem