borough of New York City, New York, United States
The Bronx is New York City's northernmost borough. It is the only one of the city's five boroughs situated on the United States mainland rather than on an island. It was named for Jonas Bronck, a sea captain and resident of the mid-1600s.
|This geography-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.
- Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx Is Burning.
- Jonathan Mahler, title of book
- My name is Benny Blanco from the Bronx. - You know me?
- Film Carlito's Way (1993)
- I was raised in what is now the "jungle" of New York, the lower Bronx, and, indeed, at that time it was a very pleasant place. We played like all other kids. Where I lived was a very small enclave, a ghetto, but there were a number of ghettos. Most of the people there were immigrants; first generation Americans from Italy, Ireland, Poland, and there were a few French people. In a way, in a peculiar way, it was an integrated community composed of several separated ghettos. That was about the norm in those days. The idea of integration hadn't really gotten started, so I think that for anyone living today it would be a period that would be really difficult to understand...it was...in spite of some of the racism which I began to learn in school, a rather pleasant life.
- Ollie Harrington Why I Left America and Other Essays (1993)