The Bench (2014 short film)
The Bench is a 2014 Canadian psychological dramatic short film. The film follows Michael, a quiet man, who every day at noon, visits the same park to sit at the same bench to enjoy the sun; but this day changes as he is greeted by a mysterious woman who appears to know everything about him, yet he doesn't recall ever meeting her in his life.
- Did somebody put you up to this?
- There's no way you know anything about me!
- I do know you very well. Every detail. Every memory. Every secret.
- You used to have anger issues. Now, you're just sitting alone in a quite park.
- Mysterious Woman: Cute dog.
- Michael: Thank you. He's a great dog.
- Mysterious Woman: The news amuses me as well.
- Michael: I agree.
- Mysterious Woman: Come here often?
- Michael: Every day.
- Mysterious Woman: It's such a beautiful park. Wouldn't you agree?
- Michael: Sure would.
- Mysterious Woman: You know, there's a better place than here.
- Michael: A better place? What do you mean?
- Mysterious Woman: A place that forgives you.
- Michael: What are you talking about?
- Mysterious Woman: A place where everything bad you've ever done, just doesn't matter anymore.
- Mysterious Woman: There are only a few of us, Michael, who believe we are here for a reason while others believe it's just all fun before death.
- Michael: I don't remember telling you my name.
- Mysterious Woman: You haven't today.
- Michael: Then how do you know my name?
- Mysterious Woman: I know everything about you, Michael.
- Mysterious Woman: Ever noticed you come to the same park and sit at the same bench every time you go for a walk?
- Michael: It's only a park.
- Mysterious Woman: Why?
- Michael: Why what?
- Mysterious Woman: Out of all the parks in this area, why do you always choose this one? Why do you choose this bench out of all the others?
- Michael: I just feel something familiar with it. It's just a bench.
- Mysterious Woman: It's called déjà vu, Michael. You feel you've been here before, yet you can't recall when. That's why you keep coming back.
- What would you do if a stranger knew everything about you?
Awards and NominationsEdit
2015 Hang Onto Your Shorts Film Festival, NJ
Best Concept of a Short (nominated)