The Beach (film)
2000 adventure drama film directed by Danny Boyle
- Richard, this is just the kind of pretentious bullshit that Americans always say to French girls so they can sleep with them.
- No offence an' all, but, you're fucked in the head, right?
- My name is Richard. So what else do you need to know? Stuff about my family, or where I'm from? None of that matters. Not once you cross the ocean and cut yourself loose, looking for something more beautiful, something more exciting and yes, I admit, something more dangerous. So after eighteen hours in the back of an airplane, three dumb movies, two plastic meals, six beers and absolutely no sleep, I finally touch down; in Bangkok.
- And me, I still believe in paradise. But now at least I know it's not some place you can look for, 'cause it's not where you go. It's how you feel for a moment in your life when you're a part of something, and if you find that moment... it lasts forever...
- Trust me, it's paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the globe and searches for something we haven't tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it.
- I had nothing left to offer but pure reflex. Pure reflex and mankind's basic drive for survival, that somehow shouts, "NO - I WILL NOT DIE TODAY!"
- The only downer is, everyone's got the same idea. We all travel thousands of miles just to watch TV and check in to somewhere with all the comforts of home, and you gotta ask yourself, what is the point of that?
- I just feel like everyone tries to do something different, but you always wind up doing the same damn thing.
- I told myself spreading news was part of a traveller's nature, but if I was being completely honest, I was just like everybody else: shit-scared of the great unknown. Desperate to take a little piece of home with me.
- When you develop an infatuation for someone you always find a reason to believe that this is exactly the person for you. It doesn't need to be a good reason. Taking photographs of the night sky, for example. Now, in the long run, that's just the kind of dumb, irritating habit that would cause you to split up. But in the haze of infatuation, it's just what you've been searching for all these years.
- You hope, and you dream. But you never believe that something's gonna happen for you. Not like it does in the movies. And when it actually does, you want it to feel different, more visceral, more real. I was waiting for it to hit me, but it just wouldn't happen. The police were pissed cus' he was travelling under a false passport. But they didn't ask me about the map, so - i didn't tell them.
- And as for the rest of us? We carried away our sins and made our way back to wherever it was we called home, to pick up the pieces of whatever was waiting. Of course you can never forget what you've done, but we adapt. We carry on. And me? I still believe in paradise. But now at least I know it's not some place you can look for. Because it's not where you go. It's how you feel for a moment in your life when you're part of something. And if you find that moment, it lasts forever.
- Now get some sleep, I may wish to have sex again before we eat breakfast.
- Richard: Oh, God!
- Etienne: Putain de merde! Well?
- Richard: Well, what?
- Etienne: How do we get down?
- Richard: How do we get down? How am I supposed to know? Do I have to decide everything now?
- Françoise: We'll jump.
- Etienne: Fuck! You wanted to be in command, Richard.
- Richard: I only took command, because you lost your nerve, French boy!
- Etienne: Yeah, and look where you've taken us!
- Sten: We like fishing.
- Karl: Fishing, hehe.
- Sten: And in the winter we like skiing.
- Christo: Yeah!
- Sten: Of course, in Thailand there is no skiing.
- Richard: [voiceover] Our resident chef was known as Unhygienix.
- Unhygienix: Let's cook!
- Richard: [voiceover] On account of his obsession with soap.
- Unhygienix: Fish, fish, fish!
- [Scrubs hands and sniffs them]
- Unhygiegenix: Still I smell of fish!
- Françoise: What are you talking about?
- Richard: Just making conversation.
- Françoise: Do you have a girlfriend?
- Richard: Here?
- Françoise: Anywhere.
- Richard: No, why?
- Françoise: Just making conversation.
- Etienne: Oh fuck! Richard! Fuck!
- Richard: What?
- Etienne: I saw a fin!
- Richard: What? Are you joking?
- Etienne: No, no. A fin!
- Richard: OK, a shark fin?
- Etienne: I don't know! Just a fin! Over there, about a hundred meters.
- Richard: Well, was it big?
- Etienne: Yes.
- Richard: Well, what the fuck do you expect me to do about it?
- Etienne: Nothing! I just thought you should know!
- Richard: Well, to be honest, Etienne, I'd rather you hadn't told me!
- Etienne: I'm sorry!
- Richard: Well, it's a bit fuckin' late now, isn't it?
- Paradise has its price.
- Innocence never lasts forever.
- Somewhere on this planet it must exist.
- Paradise Found - Innocence Lost
- It's the experience that matters
- It really was some kind of paradise