Tarzan (1999 film)
1999 American animated film
Tarzan is a 1999 American animated feature film produced by Walt Disney Pictures and Walt Disney Feature Animation and distributed by Buena Vista Pictures Distribution on June 18, 1999.
- [Tarzan gets ready to scare Kala behind her back]
- Kala: Don't even think about it.
- Tarzan: How'd you know it was me?
- Kala: I'm your mother. I know everything. Now, where have you been?
- Tarzan: I thought you knew everything.
- [Terk pounces on him]
- Terk: Hey, Auntie K! You look remarkably groomed today!
- Tantor: Y'know, I've been thinking lately that Tarzan might be some subspecies of elephant.
- Terk: What are you, crazy? An elephant?!
- Tantor: Listen to me. Think about it. He enjoys a peanut, I enjoy a peanut.
- Terk: He looks nothin' like ya!
- Clayton: [clears his throat] Where are the gorillas? [Tarzan plays with his mustache] GO-REE-LUHZ!
- Tarzan: [imitates Clayton] GO-REE-LUHZ!
- Jane: Shouting won't help, Mr. Clayton. He doesn't understand English.
- Clayton: Then I'll make him understand. If I can teach a parrot to sing "God save the Queen", I can certainly teach this savage a thing or two. [draws a crude gorilla on Jane's chalkboard and points to it with the chalk] Gorilla.
- Tarzan: [takes the chalk and examines it] Gor-illa!
- Professor Porter: [excited] Oh! Oh! He's got it!
- Tarzan: Gor-illa! [proceeds to scribble wildly on the chalkboard] Gorrrrr-illllla!
- Professor Porter: Oh, perhaps not...
- Clayton: [grabs chalk] No! No, no, no, no! [Tarzan grabs the chalk back]
- Tarzan: [imitating Clayton] No! No, no, no, no! [they both bicker and fight over the chalk until Jane grabs it]
- Jane: Mr. Clayton, I think I'll take it from here.
- Tarzan: Terk, all you have to do is get Kerchak out of the way.
- Terk: What?!
- Tantor: Well, I'd be happy to get Kerch--
- Terk: [grabs Tantor's trunk to shut him up] Hey! Shut your trunk, and get me outta here! [Tantor does so] Can you believe that guy? Drops us like a newborn giraffe - kerplop! - now waltzes in here and expects us to just-- [Tarzan lands in front of her]
- Tarzan: Terk, I'm asking you as a friend.
- Terk: [grimaces at Tarzan's pleading face] With the face and the eyes and the... All right! But don't make me do anything embarrassing. [cut to Terk bursting out of the bushes in Jane's dress] I'm gonna kill him!
- Tantor: [with his trunk disguised has Professor Porter] Actually, I thought that dress was rather slimming on you.
- Terk: Oh, really? I thought it was a little revealing...
- [they both hear Kerchak's roar and run]
- Clayton: So sorry about the rude welcome, old boy, but I couldn't have you making a scene when we put your furry friends in their cages!
- Tarzan: Why?
- Clayton: Why? For £300 sterling a head. Actually, I have you to thank, old boy. Couldn't have done it without you.
- Tantor: I've never felt so alive!
- Terk: Good! 'Cause I'm gonna kill ya!
- [Kerchak is on the verge of death]
- Tarzan: Kerchak, forgive me.
- Kerchak: No. Forgive me, for not understanding... that you have always been one of us. Our family will look to you now.
- Tarzan: No. Kerchak!
- Kerchak: Take care of them... my son. Take care of them. [dies]
About Tarzan (1999 film)Edit
- It was definitely a challenge. (For instance), Tarzan moving through the branches. I'd animated this scene and it didn't feel like Tarzan doing it. If felt like a human, like me hanging on vines and branches. So I studied the gibbon and realized they never look at the branches when the grab them. They look past. They look where they're going. And then we changed Tarzan so instead of looking at the vines and branches, he just moved right on through confidently, and it felt like Tarzan again. The instinct of an animal had to be there.
- Glen Keane, "Tarzan' filmmakers put on a 'dog and pony show,' then hunker down to talk details", Rob Blackwelder, Splicedwire (1999).
- We didn't ever want Tarzan to feel like he was just a man. We didn't want him to stand up straight or wave good-bye. We wanted to make sure he always had that piece of gorilla in him, that he always had an animal attitude about him.
- Kevin Lima, "Tarzan' filmmakers put on a 'dog and pony show,' then hunker down to talk details" Rob Blackwelder, Splicedwire (1999).
- Tony Goldwyn - Tarzan (voice)
- Minnie Driver - Jane Porter (voice)
- Glenn Close - Kala (voice)
- Rosie O'Donnell - Terk (voice)
- Brian Blessed - John Clayton (voice)
- Lance Henriksen - Kerchak (voice)
- Wayne Knight - Tantor (voice)
- Nigel Hawthorne - Archimedes Q. Porter (voice)
- Alex D. Linz - Young Tarzan (voice)