- Some remedies are worse than disease.
- English equivalent: The remedy is often worse than the disease; Burn not your house to rid it off the mouse.
- Meaning: The effect of a treatment or bodily enhancement – whether pharmaceutical or not, whether a household remedy or professional-ordained – is often worse than what it was intended to cure or alleviate.
- Autor, D. V (2003). Anthology of quotes and proverbs (English-Tamil) (Reimpresa ed.). Sura Books. p. 132. ISBN 8174784217.
- இழவுக்கு வந்தவள் தாலி அறுப்பாளா ?
Would a women who came to attend a funeral throw away her Thali?
Sorrow and misery could be understood only by the people who are experiencing it and at the same time you cannot expect other to empathise for your miseries.
” The comforter’s head never aches”
- ஊர் எல்லாம் வாழ்கிறது என்று வீடு எல்லாம் அழுது புரண்டாலும் வருமா ?
Would it matter if you cry rolling all over your house that the village is prospering?
- English equivalent: There are plenty of fish in the sea.
- "Many are accustomed to envy others for their rare acquisitions, while they themselves have equal opportunity of obtaining the same. They ought to be satisfied that as good advantages are equally accessible to them as others, and remember the significant saying, that 'Man is the architect of his own fortune.' "
- Porter, William Henry (1845). Proverbs: Arranged in Alphabetical Order .... Munroe and Company. p. 192.
Rather than being jealous of people who are propsering you should try to work and and become wealthy your self.
” Malice drinketh its own poison.”
- தாய் முகம் காணாத பிள்ளையும் , மழை முகம் காணாத பயிரும் உருபடாது.
A child that has not seen the face of the mother and the crop which has not seen the rain would never prosper.
Proverb to tell importance of mother!
- ஆடு கொழுக்கிறதெல்லாம், இடையனுக்கு லாபம் .
Growth of the sheep is profit to the sheperd.
Though it(sheep growing or becoming more chubby) is of no use to the shepherd intially he has the final laugh. The growth of the sheep/goat finally becomes profit for the shepherd (as meat or wool). Can be said to people investing in stocks. The growth of the company is indirectly more money for them.Something your not directly involved but reap the benefits.
- எதிரிக்குச் சகுனத்தடை என்று மூக்கை அறுத்துக் கொள்ளுகிறது போல.
To cut your nose to cause a bad omen for your enemy.
Said to people who will go to any extent to cause worries to people they hate.
“Envy shoots at others and wounds herself.”
“Cutting off one’s nose to spite one ‘s face.”
- குதிரை குருடானாலும் , கொள்ளு தின்கிறதில் குறைய ?
Would the blind horse eat lesser fodder?
Would a person of lesser caliber give up his luxury? ” A bad horse eats as much as a good one.”
- செல்லும் செல்லாததுக்கும் செட்டியார் இருக்கிறார்.
Chettiar is there to tell weather this is a valid currency or not.
Chettiar caste are known to be bankers of Tamil society. So if you want to know weather currency is valid or not, banker is always there to tell it.
To go to the expert when there is a doubt!
அரைக்கிறவன் ஒன்று நினைத்து அரைக்கிறான், குடிகிறவன் ஒன்று நினைதுக்க் குடிக்கிறான் .
The thought of the one who grinds all the ingredients is different from the one who drinks it.
The one who produces has different thoughts from the one who consumes. Consumer wants good product where as the producer wants profit.
- தொன்மை நாடி , நன்மை விடாதே.
Don’t forsake the good in search for the ancient.
It is as if the proverb is directed to me. Usually people brood over their past and forget their present. ” The olden age was never the present age.”
- நல்லவன் உறவை நாலு பணம் கொடுத்துச் சம்பாதிக்கவேண்டும் , கேட்டவன் உறவை பத்துப் பணம் கொடுத்து நீக்கவேண்டும்.
Pay 4 times to buy the friendship of a good man , pay 10 times to annul your friendship with a bad man.