Exact statement of the indetermination principleEdit
Upon verifying the initial statement in "Über den anschaulichen Inhalt der quantentheoretischen Kinematik und Mechanik" in Zeitschrift für Physik, 43 (1927), there's no trace of the second part quoted "In the most extreme case, absolute precision of one variable would entail absolute imprecision regarding the other". This part seems to emanate from the AIP site. Unless someone can source it, I propose to remove it.--Arjen Dijksman 18:06, 5 September 2009 (UTC)
- It is probably true quite generally that in the history of human thinking the most fruitful developments frequently take place at those points where two different lines of thought meet.
- The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.
- Try "Der erste Trunk aus dem Becher der Naturwissenschaft macht atheistisch, aber auf dem Grund des Bechers wartet Gott." Appears in:
- Fixed. (You can fix this sort of thing yourself.) ~ Ningauble 18:12, 10 August 2011 (UTC)
I didn't dare to put this into the "Quotes about Heisenberg" section:
- Police officer with speedcam: "Man, do you know how fast you've been driving!?"
- Heisenberg: "I have no idea, but I do know precisely where I am."
--18.104.22.168 23:07, 10 October 2014 (UTC)
God is waiting quoteEdit
Here is the full text of Physics and Philosophy: The Revolution in Modern Science (1958). Searching the text, I cannot find the quote "the first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will make you an Atheist, but at the bottom of the glass, God is waiting for you." Baodad (talk) 04:27, 18 September 2015 (UTC)
- Apparently the quote comes from Hildebrand, Ulrich. 1988. "Das Universum - Hinweis auf Gott?", in Ethos (die Zeitschrift für die ganze Familie), No. 10, Oktober.22.214.171.124 16:59, 15 December 2015 (UTC)
- Why is this in misattributed? The evidence against the verified publication is 3rd hand gossip. unsigned 1 December 2016 Special:Contributions/126.96.36.199
- "verified publication"? Cf. Werner Heisenberg#Misattributed and de:Diskussion:Werner Heisenberg#auf dem Grund des Bechers wartet Gott. --Vsop.de (talk) 19:25, 29 May 2017 (UTC)
"Mankind finds itself in the situation of a skipper...."Edit
Although there are references online to this quote by Heisenberg, I can find nothing substantive:
"Mankind finds itself in the situation of a skipper who has his boat built of such a heavy concentration of iron and steel, that the boat's compass points constantly at herself and not north"
It is cited as being from w:Dalibor Vesely's: Architecture in the Age of Divided, but it appears to be a misattribution/hoax. If so I'd like to add it to the Misattributed section. LookingGlass (talk) 15:43, 5 March 2017 (UTC)