Return to "Travel" page.
The unsourced quotation attributed to William Shedd on this page is actually sourced to John Shedd: "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Shedd,_John)
- "The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." ~ Gilbert K. Chesterton
- "A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." ~ Lao Tzu
- "Don't listen to what they say. Go see." ~ Chinese proverb
- "Go forth on your path, as it exists only through your walking." ~ Saint Augustine (354-430).
- "Curiosity is the best learning tool one can posses." ~ S M Neel
- "Look at the stars lighting up the sky: no one of them stays in the same place." ~ Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD).
- "The wise man's home is the universe." ~ Democritus (born c. 460 BC).
- "When you get there, there isn't any there there." ~ Gertrude Stein
- "Wherever you are is the entry point." ~ Kabir
- "He who lives sees much. He who travels sees more." ~ Arab proverb
- "I love to travel, but I hate to arrive." ~ Albert Einstein
- "What I don't understand about mobile homes is that you have a mobile place to live, you park it, and you never move it again. That's like buying a Sony Walkman, and nailing it to your hi-fi." - Nick Hancock
- "Walker, there is no path. The path is made by walking." (Original: "Caminante, no hay camino. Se hace camino al andar." ~ Antonio Machado
- "The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine (354-430).
- "The earth belongs to anyone who stops for a moment, gazes and goes on his way." ~ Colette
- "Don't tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you traveled." ~ Mohammed
- "Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag." ~ Alexander Solzhenitsyn
- "A traveller. I love his title. A traveller is to be reverenced as such. His profession is the best symbol of our life. Going from - toward; it is the history of every one of us. It is a great art to saunter." ~ Henry David Thoreau
- "Tourists don't know where they've been, travelers don't know where they're going. Travel is glamorous only in retrospect." - Paul Theroux.
- "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not." Henry David Thoreau
- "Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world." Scott Cameron
- "For whatever you lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea." e.e. cummings.
- "A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for." William Shedd
- "Travel like Ghandi, with simple clothes, open eyes and an uncluttered mind." Rick Steves.
- "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust
- "If there is a nice place, and the place does not come to you - you have to come to the place." - Tony Wheeler