Return to "Maori proverbs" page.
Some quotes added by Hehe Hopa. (Hehe.Hopa@gmail.com)
- E iti noa ana, na te aroha
- Translation: Though my present be small, my love goes with it
- Ui mai koe ki ahau he aha te mea nui o te ao, Māku e kī atu he tangata, he tangata, he tangata!
- Translation: "Ask me what is the greatest thing in the world, I will reply: It is people, it is people, it is people!
- Toitü he whenua, whatungarongaro he tangata
- Translation: Land is permanent, man disappears.
- He iti wai köwhao waka e tahuri te waka
- It may only be a small storm yet a successful outcome is imminent.
- He mahi kai te taonga
- Survival is the treasured goal.
- Waiho i te toipoto, kaua i te toiroa
- Let us keep close together, not far apart.
- He tini nga whetu e ngaro I te kapua iti
- Translation: Many stars cannot be concealed by a small cloud.
He taonga nō te whenua me hoki anō ki te whenua
- Translation: What is given by the land should return to the land
- Whaia te iti kahurangi. Ki te tuohu koe, me he maunga teitei
- Seek success in life. Should you bow, let it be to a lofty mountain.
- Kia mate ururoa, kei mate wheke
- Fight like a shark, not like an octopus.