Joe Louis quotesEdit
Who found all of these quotes? You see, I'm doing a project about things or people that lived, or were going on, during 1930's. It just so happens that I am doing my report on Joe Louis and I have to do a work cited page, and I wanted to give credit to whomever gathered these together..... Hope you don't mind, and I think whomever did find these are so very awesome, cause I, of course, wouldn't have been able to otherwise.
'T wern't I...I only quote kosher quacks...
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Joe Louis.
- Every man I get beat by is the hardest hitter.
- Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.
- I don't like money, actually, but it quiets my nerves.
- I hope they're still making women like my momma. She always told me to do the right thing. She always told me to have pride in myself; she said a good name is better than money.
- I made the most of my ability and I did my best with my title.
- Let me tell you, that was a thrill. Now, even more, I knew I had to get Schmeling good.
- Once that bell rings you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy…
- Yeah, I'm scared. I'm scared I might kill Schmeling.
- You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
- Your job helps your family, and your family is forever.
- Everyone's got a plan until they get hit.
- There is no such thing as a natural boxer. A natural dancer has to practice hard. A natural painter has to paint all the time. Even a natural fool has to work at it.
Quotes about Louis (unsourced)Edit
- Every time I hear the name Joe Louis my nose starts to bleed.
- He hit me 18 times while I was in the act of falling.
- He was a credit to his race – the human race…
- Jimmy Cannon, sportswriter
- (I define fear as) standing across the ring from Joe Louis and knowing he wants to go home early.
- Max Baer
- Joe Louis uncovers dynamite.
- Richard Wright
- Every Negro boy old enough to walk wanted to be the next Brown Bomber.
- Malcom X
- I just give lip service to being the greatest. He was the greatest. (Note: this quote is sometimes said to be about fellow boxer Sugar Ray Robinson)
- Joe Louis is the greatest heavyweight champion of all time. Rocky Marciano is second only to Louis. Where do I rate Ali? Somewhere below me. I beat him, and if I could beat him, no doubt Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano certainly could have beaten him.
- Joe Louis, to me, was the finest human being God put on this earth in every way.
- Angelo Dundee
- There's never been a boxer better than Joe Louis. You'd take one shot from him and you were sure he'd have seven or eight more coming for you. Certainly Muhammad Ali was the greatest man ever to fight, but not the greatest boxer.
- When you're a great finisher, you’ll become popular. Joe Louis was a great finisher.